Faculty Mentor Program
What is it?
The purpose of the Faculty Mentor Program is to provide an open community within the residence halls for Faculty-student engagement. By encouraging Faculty participation and involvement in residence hall programming throughout the year, students will be able to interact with Faculty in a more relaxed setting. This environment leads to increased dialogue between students and Faculty, facilitating a greater understanding for students of the academic process and involving Faculty in a new out-of-classroom experience with students.
Every Faculty Mentor is paired with a Resident Assistant. The Faculty Mentor and RA then work together to plan programming for the student residents. They are provided with $250 each semester for programming activities.
Click the picture to see current Faculty Mentors in Action.
Faculty Mentor Testimonial
"I enjoy the give-and-take with students as they discover that teachers are human(!) and not all that different from their parents. Secondly, I enjoy helping them explore the possibilities of the campus and learning more about what UT holds in store. Faculty mentoring is a win-win for me." - Dr. George Sylvie, Faculty Mentor in Jester Middle West
Faculty Mentors will...
- "Adopt" a floor/complex of University Housing students. This involves meeting with the Resident Assistant on the floor/complex regularly, as well as attending floor/complex meetings and activities when possible.
- Visit students on the floor/complex on a regular basis.
- Have at least one meal with students each month. To help with this, Faculty Mentors are given $125 Dine In Dollars that can be used at programming events or for personal use.
- Give a minimum of one talk/program each semester to your floor/complex. The program can be on a wide variety of topics, including the Faculty Mentor's field of interest.
- Work with your RA partner to create at least one diversity-focused program each year for your floor/complex.
- Work with your RA partner to create at least one social activity each year with your floor/complex.