Job Applicant      Current Staff      Supervisors      Human Resources      DHFS Alumni      Organizational Charts      Submit IT Ticket

History of Housing at UT Timeline

Back to History - Homepage

1890, December 1 B Hall - First Residence Hall (aka University Hall, Brackenridge Hall) opens for residents $17,000 donated by Col. Brackenridge
1899 - 1900 B Hall - renovated to increase capacity from 50 spaces to 125 spaces. $20,000 was paid by the State of Texas and $5,921.53 from Col. Brackenridge
1902, April 24 Woman's Building - ground broken for construction
1903 Fall Woman's Building - opened for long session
1903 May 11 B Hall - The Eyes of Texas written by John Lang Sinclair in room 203 (First performed May 12)
1904 November 24 B Hall - Thanksgiving dinner with Carry Nation
1910 June 17 University Apartments - Colonel Brackenridge deeds 500 acres of land to UT which later became the apts.
1917 Late/ 1918 Early Camp Mabry - School of Automobile Mechanics(SAM) housed here; Mess hall built to feed 1800; trained 600/ class; peak enrollment was 3600; cost $800,000
1917 Late/ 1918 Early A-Z Shacks - Student Army Training Corps(SATC) (~1400 students too young for military service) housed/ fed on-campus in A-Z shacks
1918 April Little Campus (currently Heman Sweatt Campus) - School of Military Aeronautics (SMA) moves 200 cadets from B Hall to be housed at the then-called Little Campus; $250,000
1918 Late June Penn Field - the Radio School was housed here previously started on campus; 4 brick dorms and a 40,000 sq. ft mess hall for 1100 were built in 62 days at a cost of $750,000 ($40,000 for the land); was not used for very long because armistice came on 11/11
1918 November Little Campus (currently Heman Sweatt Campus) - increased to 1500 SMA cadets at Little Campus
1920 Little Campus (currently Heman Sweatt Campus) - some buildings used to house male students
1920 November 10 Major Littlefield died and willed $300,000 for a dorm in his wife's honor
1920 December 28 Colonel Brackenridge died
1925/26 B Hall - closes as a dormitory (used until 1952 as offices)
1925 Aug.- 1926 Jan. Little Campus (currently Heman Sweatt Campus)- $35,000 spent to renovate buildings to be used as dorms (used until 1951, then vacant for 3 years. In 1962 there was a fire and soon after they closed forever as a dorm.)
1927 Littlefield - opens; $300,000 willed by Major Littlefield, $50,000 State of Texas and $30,000 Univeristy of Texas
1932 Brackenridge Hall - built $190,000
1936 Roberts Hall - built
1936 Andrews Hall - built
1937 Prather Hall - built
1937 Carothers Hall - built
1939 Hill Hall - built mainly to house athletes
1940 Women's Building - closed as a dorm (used until it burned on 1/23/1959 for Modern Languages and Drama Departments)
1951 Little Campus (currently Heman Sweatt Campus)- used continuously as dorm space since 1925, is vacant for next 3 years
1951/1952 Hill Hall - renovated $68,967
1952 Women's Co-ops - 6 co-ops (3 buildings) are opened to house 96 women
1952-1954 Roberts Hall - renovated at a cost of $220,000
1952-1956 Andrews Hall - renovated
1955 Moore Hall - built at a cost of $1,618,115
1955 Simkins Hall - built
1955 Blanton Hall - built at a cost of $1,073,000
1955-1956 Hill Hall - renovated $53,794
1955 Moore-Hill Hall - Hill Hall and Moore hall known as Moore-Hill
1958 Kinsolving - built costing $4,300,000
1967 Moore-Hill Hall - renovated $43,000
1969 October Women's Co-ops - 6 more co-ops (3 buildings) built
1969 Jester Dormitory - built at a cost of $19,000,000
1969 All Campus - Faculty Fellow program implemented
1972 BRP - renovated
1977 Jester - many improvements made $200,000
1978 Kinsolving - 10 rooms are changed to accommodate disabled residents
1979 Moore-Hill Hall - 5 rooms changed to accommodate disabled residents
1982 Littlefield - basement (including kitchen, dining room and service rooms) were closed and changed to administrative offices; the dining room became known as "the Pit" and was often used as a study place
1985 Kinsolving - emergency lights are installed
1985 Jester - $5,000,000 spent to improve food-service
1987 Kinsolving - computer lab installed
1980s Late Simkins Hall - computer labs built
1988 Andrews Hall - new computer lab
1988 Prather Hall - get a computer lab
1989 Summer Andrews Hall - dining hall in basement remodeled $1,324,000
1991 Fall Kinsolving - $4,800,000 spent to improve cafeteria and lounge
1991 Littlefield - receives air-conditioning
1991 Andrews Hall - offices are redecorated
1991 Prather Hall - receives air-conditioning
1992 Fall Carothers Hall - becomes a coed honors hall
1993 BRP - gets air-conditioning and becomes coed
1993 Andrews - becomes an honors hall
1999 Whitis Court - DHFS purchases 2 of the Women?s Co-ops to become Living Learning Halls
1999 June San Jacinto Hall - ground broken for construction; $52,000,000
1999 December Jester - fire sprinkler system installed; $9,490,000
2000 Whitis Court - DHFS purchases another coop for Living Learning
2000 Fall Andrews Hall- Dining facility closed
2000 August San Jacinto Hall - North tower opens for residents;
2001 January San Jacinto Hall - South tower opens for residents; Female athletes housed in SJH previously in Kinsolving
2001 January Jester - Jester City Limits opens
2001 Summer BRP - sprinklers
2001 Fall All Campus - IRIS System implemented
2002 May Whitis Court - DHFS purchases 1 of the co-ops to become Living Learning Halls
2002 Spring Jester - Spanish Oaks Terrace renovated
2002 Spring Jester - General Information Desk becomes the Jester mail and service center (now able to buy packing supplies)
2002 Fall San Jacinto Hall- Longhorn mural unveiled
2002 Fall All Campus - PALS program implemented
2002 Fall All Campus - Centralized check-in started for all Residence Halls, first in SRH, now held in Bass Concert Hall
2002 Fall All Campus - Faculty F program overhauled kk
2003 Spring Simkins - all common areas renovated
2003 May Whitis Court - DHFS purchases the remaining 2 co-ops to become Living Learning Halls
2003 Summer Andrews Hall- dining area changed to student rooms
2003 Fall Brackenridge Hall - Room 421 not used
2003 Fall Moore-Hill Hall - 4th floor not used until next fall
2004 Spring Littlefield - "The Pit" is renovated to become a food venue (first non-DHFS, Winter 2004-5 became Littlefield Patio Cafe DHFS)
2004 Summer Kinsolving - 1st floor offices renovated
2004 Summer Moore-Hill Hall- renovations begin (lost 8000sqft, replaced 2000sqft in old varsity) to swimming pool, new desk, tv game, conference, apt, hc office.
2004 Summer Roberts Hall - 24-hour desk moved to Prather desk area and study lounge
2004 Summer BRP - A and B sections connected
2004 Summer San Jacinto Hall - Rub rail added to rooms
2004 Fall San Jacinto Hall - coed by room
2004 Fall Prather Hall - become coed
2004-5 Winter break Kinsolving - renovations
2005 February Jester - "Legends in Training" mural revealed in newly named Legends Lounge (formerly Jester East Lounge)
2005 Roberts Hall - Desk renovated to become study lounge
2005 Summer Kinsolving - 1st floor offices renovated to become faculty spaces and Hall Coordinator offices are moved to newly renovated 2nd floor
2005 Summer BRP - J section will be connected with K section; G with F and external stairwells added to H and I sections
2005 Fall Moore-Hill Hall - becomes co-ed
2005 Fall San Jacinto Hall - becomes coed by room
2005 Summer Duren Hall - Construction begins
2007 January Duren Hall - Opens for residents







Questions - We're here to help you with your housing & dining needs!



Division of Housing and Food logo

Email Housing


facebook     Twitter      yuotube width=

dhfs mobile

Live Here. Live More.

Housing Process

Dine Here

Work Here

Apartments

About DHFS



Web Privacy Policy    Resources for People with Disabilities    Web Accessibility Policy   
Download Acrobat Reader    Download Flash Player
©2014 Division of Housing and Food Service    The University of Texas at Austin