Tables of Contents
Subchapter 8-100. General Provisions
Sec. 8-101. Purpose
union provides beneficial cocurricular activities for students, faculty, and
Sec. 8-102. Definitions
this chapter, unless the context requires a different meaning,
- "board" means the Board of Directors of the Texas Union;
- "chancellor" means the Office of the Chancellor of The University of Texas
- "director" means the director of the Texas Union;
- "president" means the chief administrative officer of the University of
Texas at Austin;
- "student" means a person enrolled in residence at the university;
- "union" means the Texas Union;
- "program council" means the Texas Union Program Council;
- "operations council" means the Texas Union Operations Council;
- "university" means the University of Texas at Austin; and
- "vice president" means the Vice President for Student Affairs at the
University of Texas at Austin.
Subchapter 8-200. The Board of Directors of the Texas Union
Sec. 8-201. Membership
- The board has nine voting members. The members are
- three members of the faculty, appointed by the president for three-year
overlapping terms, one to be appointed each year, effective May 1; and
- six students, including the Student Government president or the
president's delegate, and five others as follows:
- four students registered for at least six semester hours during each
long-session semester of service, to be selected by public announcement in the
Daily Texan and interviews conducted by executive officers of the
Student Assembly, or by the appropriate committee; appointments shall be
ratified by a two-thirds vote and shall become effective May 1 for two-year
overlapping terms; and
- one student with one year prior union committee experience, to be selected
jointly by the Student Government president, the two returning students, board
members, and the incoming coordinators of the Texas Union Program and
Operations Councils for a one-year term; the incoming coordinators of the
program and operations councils are not eligible to be selected.
- The vice president, or the vice president's delegate, the secretary to the
board, the coordinators of the program and operations councils, and the
director are members of the board without vote.
Sec. 8-202. Officers
officers of the board are the chairperson, the vice chairperson, the secretary,
and the director. The chairperson shall be elected each year from the student
membership of the board by the voting members of the board to serve a term to
extend from the first official board meeting of the fall semester until May 15
the following year or until a new chairperson is elected. To qualify for
election as chairperson, a student shall have at least one year's experience on
either the union program council, operations council, or the board. This
qualification may be waived by a two-thirds vote. Both outgoing and new board
members shall be eligible to vote for chairperson. The vice chairperson of the
board shall be a student member, chosen each semester by the elected
chairperson. The Student Government president cannot serve as chairperson of
the Board of Directors. The officers of the board shall perform the usual
duties of their respective offices.
Sec. 8-203. Meetings
board shall meet once a month during each long session, setting its own date
for meetings, formulating its own rules of procedure, and setting up and
appointing such committees as it may deem necessary and desirable for the
proper use of the facilities of the union consistent with the Rules and
Regulations of the Board of Regents.
Sec. 8-204. Executive Committee
- The board may authorize three of its voting members to serve between
meetings as an executive committee.
- An executive committee may act for the board only during the period
beginning May 15 of each year and ending the first day of registration for the
fall semester or during official university semester breaks or holiday periods.
All actions taken by the executive committee are subject to ratification by the
Sec. 8-205. Duties
- recommend rules, regulations, and procedures regarding the operation and
use of the union;
- review the union budget;
- advise the president, through the vice president, on the selection and
annual performance appraisal of the union director;
- be involved in the future development of the union.
Subchapter 8-300. Review of Board Action
Sec. 8-301. Review by the President
- The board shall deliver promptly to the president at least two copies of
the minutes of each board or executive committee meeting.
- No recommendation of the board or executive committee shall have any force
or effect until said recommendation has been approved by the president and has
received such other approval as required.
- Every action of the board or of a committee or subcommittee of the board
is subject to review by the president. The president may approve, reverse, or
modify each such action.
- Not later than ninety days after the close of each union fiscal year, the
director shall furnish to the president at least two copies of a complete
report of the fiscal affairs of the union during the preceding year to be
distributed as the president may direct.
- No budget or budget amendment adopted by the board is effective until it
is approved by the president through normal budget procedure.
- No expenditure shall be made by the board unless it is made pursuant to a
budget item that has been adopted by the board and has received final approval
from the president.
Subchapter 8-400. The Director of the Texas Union
Sec. 8-401. Duties of Director
- The director is administratively responsible to and shall report
periodically to the vice president, serves as the chief executive official in
the union, and is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the union
building and its programs and activities. The director shall
- coordinate all functions involving union facilities and the interests of
the various groups served by the facilities;
- consult with the board regarding the employment of appropriate staff
- employ, supervise, and direct the work of all subordinate employees; and
- be a member of all committees without vote.
- Annually, on or before November 15, the director shall submit to the board
a complete report of union activities for the year. Copies of the report shall
be distributed to the president and to others as the president may direct.
- The director shall perform any additional services that may be required by
the board and approved by the president.
Subchapter 8-500. The Texas Union Program Council
Sec. 8-501. Membership and Officers
- The program council is composed of the chairpersons of the various union
programming committees and any other members the board considers appropriate.
- The program council has a coordinator, and any other appropriate officers
that the program council may determine, elected from its membership for
Sec. 8-502. Duties
program council is the decision making, coordinating, evaluating, and
recommending body of the union program. The program council shall
- coordinate the union program;
- evaluate the union program, and make the necessary changes in its
- distribute to various union program committees the funds appropriated to
the union program council;
- recommend to the board, or to any other appropriate agencies, actions,
policies, and procedures affecting the union program; and
- elect its officer(s) from among its membership.
Sec. 8-503. Review of Program Council Actions by the Board
actions of the program council, other than the election of officers, are
subject to review by the board.
Subchapter 8-600. The Texas Union Operations Council
Sec. 8-601. Membership and Officers
- The operations council is composed of the chairpersons of the various
union operations committees and any other members the board considers
- The operations council has a coordinator and any other appropriate
officers that the operations council may determine, elected from its membership
for one-year terms.
Sec. 8-602. Duties
operations council is the coordinating and recommending body of the union
operations committees. The operations council shall
- coordinate the work of the operations committees;
- recommend to the board or to any other appropriate agencies, actions,
policies, and procedures affecting the operations committees; and
- elect its officer(s) from among its membership.
Sec. 8-603. Review of Operations Council Actions by the Board
actions of the operations council, other than the election of officers, are
subject to review by the board.
Subchapter 8-700. Union Facilities
Sec. 8-701. Reservation and Use of Union Facilities
- Union facilities are reserved primarily for use by students, faculty, and
staff members. Union activities financed in whole or in part by the union fee
are limited to activities in which all students are eligible to participate.
- In accordance with policies developed by the board, the director or the
director's representative may permit special persons, groups, or organizations
to reserve and use portions of the union building when the intended use does
not interfere with regular union programs or activities. The director may
charge a reasonable rental fee for the use of union property or facilities by
such persons, groups, or organizations. The director shall permit persons,
groups, or organizations officially designated as guests of the university by
the president, the chancellor, or the Board of Regents to use union facilities
without cost. All requests for the use of union facilities are subject to prior
reservations; for that reason, requests should be made as early as possible.
Sec. 8-702. Policy Against Discrimination
person or organization shall be excluded from participation in or denied the
benefits of union facilities, services, and programs on any basis prohibited by
applicable law, including, but not limited to, race, color, national origin,
religion, sex, age, veteran status, or disability.
Tables of Contents
28 August 1996. Registrar's Web Team
Comments to firstname.lastname@example.org