Student Affairs, General Information 1996 - 1997

Contents of This Chapter

"Student Affairs" is published as several files. Use the following links to go to any part of the chapter.

Vice President for Student Affairs
Office of the Dean of Students
Recreational Sports
Division of Housing and Food Service
Student Financial Services
Types of Financial Aid
Special Services for Financial Aid Recipients
Other Services Not Based on Financial Need
Requirements for Student Borrowers
Repayment and Refund of Financial Aid
Student Health Center
Counseling, Learning, and Career Services
Counseling and Mental Health Center
Career Center
Learning Skills Center
The Texas Union
International Office
International Students
Study Abroad
Student Government
Cabinet of College Councils
Student Publications
Legal Services for Students
Office of the Ombudsman
Student Grievance Procedures
Religious Organizations
Regulations Concerning the Registration of Motor Vehicles
Table of Charges for Violation of Parking and Traffic Regulations

Vice President for Student Affairs

The vice president for student affairs administers the Division of Student Affairs, which encompasses the Office of Admissions, the Office of the Registrar, the Counseling, Learning, and Career Services, the Office of the Dean of Students, Student Financial Services, the Student Health Center, the Division of Housing and Food Service, the International Office, the Division of Recreational Sports, the Texas Union, Texas Student Publications, and Legal Services for Students. The vice president serves as liaison between the president of the University and the directors of the student services units, acts as the Section 504 officer, and provides leadership in the development of programs that supplement the classroom experience and enrich the quality of campus life.

Office of the Dean of Students

The Office of the Dean of Students, through its own programs and in cooperation and consultation with other offices, endeavors to help students acquire the knowledge, skills, and attitudes that will help them succeed at the University. The office provides developmental and support services to the general student population as well as to special groups.

Fraternal Education coordinates leadership programs for fraternities, sororities, and spirit groups and serves as liaison to the Texas Pan-Hellenic, Panhellenic, and Interfraternity Councils. Freshman Services administers the presemester and summer orientation programs for new students, the Welcome Program for new minority students, the Start Fresh Program for freshman students, and specialized orientation programs for nontraditional students. Campus and Community Involvement registers student organizations and provides facilities, information, leadership training, and other administrative services for student activities on the campus and coordinates the program of the Student Volunteer Center. Retention Services offers a variety of support services and assistance to students who have special needs and concerns, including minority students and nontraditional adult students. Services for Students with Disabilities provides programs, services, written materials, and assistance for students with disabilities. Based on the needs of the individual, many different kinds of services are offered to students with visual impairments, hearing impairments, mobility impairments, learning disabilities, and other disabilities. See information about Section 504 and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) grievance procedures below in this chapter. Student Judicial Services implements and interprets University regulations relating to student behavior and works with faculty regarding scholastic dishonesty.

Recreational Sports

The Division of Recreational Sports develops and conducts programs that provide opportunities for University students, faculty, and staff to participate in sport activities. Six major program areas offer a variety of structures within which members of the University community may pursue recreational interests. Intramural tournaments and events are scheduled throughout the year for individual, dual, and team participation. The tournaments and events are organized to provide separate competition among coeducational teams, teams for men, and teams for women. Sport clubs provide an opportunity to participate in a single sport on a continuing basis. Approximately forty clubs, ranging from aikido to lacrosse to sailing, are active each semester. Outdoor Recreation includes activities such as backpacking, bicycling, camping, canoeing, horseback riding, kayaking, nature hiking, rock climbing, and snow skiing. Fitness and wellness opportunities are available through UT Aerobics of the Non-credit Instruction Program. Offerings include classes in aerobics, bench, cardiovascular and muscle conditioning, yoga, and martial arts. In addition to structured sports programs, the division promotes the concept of informal recreational use of athletic facilities through the Open Recreation Program. A reservation service is available for most activity areas, and facilities are supervised to enhance the enjoyment and safety of participants. Programs, activities, and facilities are open to all students and to faculty members, staff members, and the spouses and children of students, faculty, and staff who purchase membership in the Non-Student Program. Facilities are available to children at designated times only.

Sport and outdoor equipment may be borrowed, rented, or purchased at the Recreational Sports Center store. The store also sells sundries and clothing and serves as an information center for the division. Participants may rent outdoor equipment at the Outdoor Equipment Service Center in the Recreational Sports Center.

Division of Housing and Food Service

Students at the University of Texas at Austin may choose to live on or off campus. The University does not extend approved housing status to any residential unit except those that are University-owned and operated. The Division of Housing and Food Service will not be a party to the enforcement of any contract between students, parents, and landlords of privately owned student housing; however, Legal Services for Students may provide assistance with tenant-landlord disputes.

Both undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to live in University-owned housing. Freshmen are encouraged to consider living in University residence halls. The experience of many students indicates that adjustment to University life is often easier for those who live on campus. Research has shown that students who live in residence halls are more fully involved in academic and extracurricular activities, earn higher grade point averages, more frequently exceed predicted levels of learning and personal development, and more frequently complete their college education within four years than students who live off campus.

To obtain information and rates on all types of on-campus housing or to apply for housing, write to the Division of Housing and Food Service, Box 7666, Austin, Texas 78713-7666. A brief description of University housing follows. (See also chapter 5 of Appendix C, Institutional Rules on Student Services and Activities.)

Application dates for University housing. There is no deadline for applying for housing. Applications will be accepted beginning October 1 for the next long session (fall and spring semesters), June 1 for the next spring semester, November 1 for the next summer session.

University-owned residence halls for men. University residence halls for men include Moore-Hill, Prather, and Simkins Halls, which together can accommodate 762 residents.

University-owned residence halls for women. The University owns and operates three residence halls that accommodate 1,188 women: Blanton, Kinsolving, and Littlefield. Freshman women who apply for housing with Littlefield as their first building choice and receive contracts before March 1 will be given priority consideration for assignment to Littlefield. After March 1, assignment will be open to all classifications of students and priority will be determined by priority number.

University-owned residence halls for men and women. Jester Center and Brackenridge and Roberts Halls accommodate 3,166 students. Andrews and Carothers honors residence halls accommodate 243 students.

University-owned residences for families. The University apartments for student families are located in off-campus areas with shuttle bus service available. Gateway Apartments and Colorado Apartments have a total of 400 air-conditioned, unfurnished units; Brackenridge I and II include 315 one-, two-, and three-bedroom, air-conditioned, unfurnished units. Also available are 83 mobile home lots. Rates for Colorado Apartments include gas and water. Rates for all other units include only water. Residents pay for electricity in all units.

Cooperative houses for women. Twelve on-campus cooperative houses for women offer a combination of independence, friendly community, and significant savings. Cooperative housing reduces living costs because the residents assume responsibility for day-to-day operation and management of the household. Sixteen to twenty undergraduate and graduate students live in each house and share in meal preparation and housekeeping duties. To obtain information, rates, and/or an application, contact the Women's Cooperative Housing Office, PO Box 7666, Austin, Texas 78713-7666.

Privately owned housing. A wide range of privately owned housing is available for men, women, and families in the University community. Arrangements for living in these residence halls, rooming and boarding houses, cooperative houses, apartments, and private homes are made directly with the management of each residence. The Division of Housing and Food Service maintains a partial list of privately owned accommodations whose management has submitted a statement indicating that the facilities meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and are available to all students regardless of race, creed, or national origin. However, the University accepts no responsibility for the terms of rental or the accommodations offered and will not be a party to the enforcement of contracts between students, parents, and landlords for privately owned housing. The list may be reviewed at the Division of Housing and Food Service located in Kinsolving, 26th Street entrance. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.

Student Financial Services

The Office of Student Financial Services offers financial assistance to students who might otherwise be unable to attend the University. Financial aid awarded through the office may be gift aid, which includes grants and scholarships, or self-help aid, which includes student employment programs and long-term loans. Most financial aid is based on documented financial need. Financial need is the difference between the cost of attending the University and the financial resources available to the student.

To apply for financial assistance, a student must complete a need analysis form each year. The office requires the student to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be evaluated for financial need. The need analysis assists the office in assessing available family resources and determining eligibility for specific aid programs.

Students who attend the University only in the summer session are not eligible for financial aid through the Office of Student Financial Services.

Estimated costs. The following are estimated typical costs for tuition, fees, room, board, and books for a single student living in University-owned housing for the long session (fall and spring semesters) 1996 - 1997. The tuition and fee amounts included in these figures are based on an average course load of thirteen semester hours for undergraduates and nine semester hours for graduates.

Texas Residents Nonresidents
Undergraduate $7,286 $12,278
Graduate $7,416 $10,872

Expenses for clothing, travel, recreation, and personal and miscellaneous items vary based on individual lifestyle. The Office of Student Financial Services estimates that reasonable expense for these items is approximately $2,394 for undergraduate students and $2,816 for graduate students. Summer costs are estimated to be about one-third of those for the long session.

Application dates. Although there are no deadlines for submitting financial aid applications, priority is given to students who apply by the dates given below.

Priority dates
Spring semester September 30
Summer session February 15
Fall semester March 31

A student may apply for financial aid before being officially admitted to the University, but the awarding of aid is contingent upon admission. Disbursement of funds is not made until the student is officially enrolled.

Course load requirements. Most aid programs are based on full-time enrollment (twelve hours for undergraduate students, nine hours for graduate students). Students may receive financial aid for less than full-time enrollment with the approval of their financial aid counselor. For some programs, assistance must be reduced proportionately for less than full-time enrollment.

Changes in financial circumstances. Students are responsible for reporting any change in their financial situation that occurs after the initial application for aid is submitted to the Office of Student Financial Services. A documented decrease in resources may provide for an increase in financial aid if funds are available; likewise, an increase in resources may result in a reduction or cancellation of financial aid funds or a requirement to repay awards already disbursed.

Satisfactory progress. To be eligible for financial assistance, a student must maintain a satisfactory academic record. A satisfactory academic record is measured by quality, progress, and quantity. Quality refers to maintaining a cumulative 2.00 grade point average for undergraduates and 3.00 for graduates. Progress means completing the number of hours in a semester for which the student received aid (i.e., initial enrollment and completion of twelve hours). The quantity measurement allows a maximum of 150 hours for an undergraduate degree (175 hours for majors in pharmacy and architecture) and between 40 and 160 hours for a graduate degree, depending on the program.

Types of Financial Aid

A student who submits a Free Application for Federal Student Aid to the federal processor is considered for all funds available through the Office of Student Financial Services. A student's award usually is a combination of gift aid and self-help funds. The composition of the aid package depends on the characteristics of the student, including program eligibility and degree of financial need, as well as on the availability of funds.

Gift Aid

Most scholarships and grants are based on financial need. The Office of Student Financial Services also administers a few programs based on merit.

Students who apply for financial help are considered for all gift aid awards administered through the office except the Federal Pell Grant. To be considered for a Federal Pell Grant, a student must be an undergraduate and must not have received a bachelor's degree.

Self-Help Funds

Long-Term Loans
Federal loan programs are available to assist students with financial need. These programs have low interest rates that are adjusted annually and do not require repayment of principle or interest until the student has graduated or is no longer enrolled at least half-time. In addition, the loans offer a grace period between the time the student leaves school and the time repayment begins. Deferment or cancellation of repayment is available for situations such as military service, periods of unemployment, or teaching service in designated schools.

Federal and state loans are also available both to students and to the parents of students who do not have financial need. Interest rates on these loans are variable and are adjusted annually. Under certain conditions, repayment of loans to students may be deferred while the student is enrolled in school.

The student employment program provides jobs for students who have financial need and want to earn part of their educational expenses while attending school. The majority of work-study jobs are on campus though some may be with off-campus nonprofit agencies. Students may choose from a variety of employment opportunities depending on their education and experience. Most jobs require fifteen or fewer hours of work a week.

Special Services for Financial Aid Recipients

For aid recipients who show a high degree of financial need, services are available in the following areas: (1) orientation fee waivers, and (2) tutorial assistance programs. Information is available from the Office of Student Financial Services.

Other Services Not Based on Financial Need

The Office of Student Financial Services makes loans to students for a short period of time for emergency expenses related to educational costs. In addition, the office helps students and their spouses find part-time, temporary, or full-time employment with no charge to the student or the employer. Information about these services is available at the Office of Student Financial Services.

Requirements for Student Borrowers

Mandatory interviews. Prior to receiving the first disbursement of a Federal Subsidized or Unsubsidized Stafford Loan or Federal Perkins Loan at the University of Texas at Austin, student borrowers must complete entrance counseling, which includes information about their obligations, rights, and privileges as borrowers. In addition, before withdrawal or graduation from the University, student loan recipients under these programs must complete an exit interview, including additional information about their repayment obligations and about the consequences of failure to repay.

Identification and release of official transcript. Records of students who have received loans under the Federal Family Education Loan Programs are identified to the Office of the Registrar. Students in default on loans from these programs may not obtain an official transcript.

Repayment and Refund of Financial Aid

Repayment of financial aid. Students who are awarded financial assistance for a specific semester but withdraw prior to the beginning of classes are required to repay the University all funds disbursed. Students who withdraw after the beginning of classes will be required to repay at least some portion of the funds received. The amount to be repaid is calculated according to a repayment policy determined by the Office of Student Financial Services and will vary depending on the amount and type of funds received and when the withdrawal occurs.

Refunds for students receiving Title IV funding who withdraw from the University.[1] A student who is receiving financial assistance from any Title IV program and withdraws in the first semester of attendance at the University is entitled to a refund of tuition and fees and University housing charges according to the following schedule:

Long Session
Official withdrawal date Percentages
Prior to the first class day 100% less $15.00
matriculation fee
The sixth through the
fifteenth class days
The sixteenth through the
twenty-fifth class days
The twenty-sixth through
the thirtieth class days
The thirty-first through
the thirty-fifth class days
The thirty-sixth through
the forty-fifth class days
The forty-sixth through
the fiftieth class days
After the fiftieth class day none

Summer Session
Official withdrawal date Percentages
Prior to the first class day 100% less $15.00
matriculation fee
The first and second class days 90%
The third through the
seventh class days
The eighth class day 70%
The ninth and tenth class days 60%
The eleventh through the
thirteenth class days
The fourteenth through
the sixteenth class days
After the sixteenth class day none

Any student receiving financial assistance will have at least part of the calculated refund credited to the student aid programs from which the student was paid. The remaining refund, if any, will be disbursed to the student.

Federal regulations require that refunds due the student aid programs be credited in the following order:

Non - Title IV programs are refunded in the following order:

Student Health Center

The Student Health Center is an ambulatory health care facility fully accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations. It provides medical care and health education services for currently enrolled students and some nonstudents who are officially enrolled in certain University programs.

The medical staff includes physicians in general medicine as well as those who are board certified in internal medicine, adolescent pediatrics, and family practice. The health center has its own pharmacy, laboratory, X-ray, and physical therapy facilities. Students are encouraged to choose a member of the medical services staff as their primary physician or nurse practitioner to ensure continuity of care while at the University.

The Student Health Center is open for medical evaluation and care from 7:00 AM until 8:00 PM Monday through Friday and 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM on Saturday, Sunday, and official University holidays. For nonurgent situations, students are required to make appointments, available Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM until 6:00 PM. Appointments can be made by calling 471-3138 for a general medicine appointment or 471-4158 for an appointment in the Women's Health Clinic. Students who need immediate medical attention for non - life-threatening illnesses or injuries may be seen in the urgent care area during all hours of operation. Students with medical emergencies should go directly to an emergency facility.

Telephone consultation for illness or injury (471-HELP) is available during regular hours. Treatment during the hours the health center is closed must be obtained from a community health care service and paid for by the student.

Health education services (475-8252) are designed to promote healthy lifestyles and contribute to optimal lifelong well-being. Programs cover a variety of health-related topics including alcohol and drug education, sexual health, methods of contraception, rape prevention, AIDS education, nutrition counseling, smoking cessation, and general health information. Audiovisual and printed materials on a variety of health issues are available.

The Student Health Center is almost completely funded through the medical services fee paid by all students at registration. The fee covers the cost of providing students an unlimited number of office visits with physicians or nurse practitioners. There are charges for most other services, including prescriptions, laboratory tests, X rays, physical therapy, immunizations, and after-hours care. (See Appendix C, sections 4 - 401 through 4 - 510 of this catalog and the Student Health Center brochure for a more detailed description of policies and services.)

Students sometimes are affected by medical conditions beyond the scope of services offered by the health center. Payment for services at medical and/or psychiatric facilities outside the Student Health Center is the sole responsibility of the student; therefore, every student is advised to purchase student health insurance or to have sufficient insurance coverage under an existing policy. Additional information about student health insurance is available by calling 471-1040.

Chapter Contents Next File

Next Chapter | General Information Table of Contents | General Information Home Page | Registrar's Home Page | UT Home Page

28 August 1996. Registrar's Web Team
Comments to