Chapter Contents Preceding File Next File

"Student Affairs" is published as several files. Use the links above to see the table of contents for the whole chapter, or other files within the chapter.

Counseling, Learning, and Career Services

The mission of Counseling, Learning, and Career Services is to provide students with services that promote and enhance their development in the areas of academic competence, emotional stability, life-long learning styles, and effective decision making skills. Currently enrolled students or those who have been admitted and are in the process of matriculation to the University are eligible to use the services. The Counseling, Learning, and Career Services provide personal counseling, learning assistance programs, assistance in identifying and exploring major and career options, and twenty-four-hour-a-day telephone assistance through three component agencies: the Counseling and Mental Health Center, the Career Center, and the Learning Skills Center.

Counseling and Mental Health Center

The Counseling and Mental Health Center assists students in coping effectively with aspects of their personal and social growth that may interfere with the ability to realize the full academic benefit of their college experience. Services include individual and group counseling, psychiatric evaluation and medication (if indicated), and programs designed to assist students in personal growth and development of interpersonal skills.

The center is staffed by counseling and clinical psychologists, psychiatrists, and licensed professional counselors. It is approved by the American Psychological Association for clinical and counseling internship training and cooperates with the Departments of Psychology and Educational Psychology and the School of Social Work in training intern and practicum students.

The center believes in the importance of students using their University experience to gain skills needed for effective functioning in a complex society. Programs focus on the motivational, social, and emotional development of students, provide support systems where necessary, address problems that can affect day-to-day living, and generally prepare the student to respond more effectively to the challenges of University living. Outreach services are extended to the University community through educational and consultative programs.

A fee for services is charged after eight individual counseling or psychiatric sessions or twelve group counseling sessions in a single academic year (including the summer session). The student health insurance policy provides coverage for these services at the Counseling and Mental Health Center. Information about the policy is available at the Student Health Center.

The Counseling and Mental Health Center, located at 100 E. 26th Street, is open 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM weekdays. The telephone number is 471-3515.

The center provides a telephone counseling and referral service that can be reached twenty-four hours a day, including holidays. Counselors are available by telephone to offer counseling, consultation, information, and referral to other resources for additional help. Callers may remain anonymous. The Telephone Counseling and Referral Service number is 471-CALL (471-2255).

A series of audio cassette tapes is also available to help students understand certain types of problems. Telephone counseling tapes are five- to ten-minute recorded discussions relating to both mental and physical health issues. Some tapes give basic information and others give both information and suggestions about how to handle day-to-day problems. The tapes were prepared by Counseling, Learning, and Career Services staff, the Student Health Center staff, and staff from other campus and community agencies. Telephone tapes are accessed through TexTalk at 475-9950. A list of telephone topics is available at the Counseling and Mental Health Center and at various information offices on campus.

Career Center

The Career Center assists students in making decisions about their future professions through self-assessment, standardized career tests, and professional career counseling. The center maintains a career library containing over four thousand resource items, including University of Texas degree plans and information about a broad range of career options. Also available at the center is information about internship opportunities and assistance with planning for graduate education.

Services provided by the center are free to currently enrolled students, though there is a nominal fee for tests. Others who are eligible for services at the center are graduates of the University, for up to one year following graduation, and students who have registered but are not currently enrolled. Graduates and students not yet enrolled are charged a fee for services.

The Career Center and resource library, located in Jester Center A115A, is open 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday and until 8:00 PM on Tuesday. Career counseling is available on a walk-in basis from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM Monday through Friday and until 7:00 PM on Tuesday. The telephone number for the center is 471-1217.

Learning Skills Center

The Learning Skills Center provides academic support services to students. The center offers both group and individualized programs to help students increase efficiency in college-level reading, writing, math, science, and study skills. Class topics offered regularly include reading strategies, speed reading, study strategies, math for calculus, final exam reviews for Mathematics 408C, 403K, and 301, science skills, writing skills, conversational English for international students, and preparation for the GRE, LSAT, TASP, and GSP. The Math/Science and Reading/Writing/Study Skills Labs offer a variety of resource skills and limited drop-in tutoring in math and writing skills. Student peer counselors provide individual help to students working in the labs.

The center has a nationally certified tutoring program that offers student-to-student tutoring in many entry-level, lower-division courses. There is an hourly charge for this program, though fee waivers are granted for many students receiving financial aid. A walk-in counseling service for students who want to discuss immediate study concerns is also available through the center. Students may make individual appointments to discuss special learning problems such as test anxiety, learning disabilities, and attention deficit disorder.

The center's campus outreach services include overviews of the services provided and presentations on study skills for University classes, groups, and organizations, and a Supplemental Instruction Program. The Supplemental Instruction Program trains teaching assistants to lead discussion sections in which they integrate effective learning strategies to assist students in historically difficult entry-level courses. Consultation regarding supplemental instruction is available to faculty and 398T classes.

Located in Jester Center A332A, the Learning Skills Center is open Monday through Friday 9:00 AM to 4:45 PM and may be reached by telephone at 471-3614.

The Texas Union

Recognizing that much of what students learn they learn from one another and from others in associations outside the formal curriculum, the Texas Union serves the University as a community center, providing facilities, services, and programs for students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends of the University.

Major objectives of the Union include offering programs for intellectual, cultural, social, and recreational development, coordinating beneficial cocurricular activities, promoting genuine democracy, cultivating responsible citizenship, and facilitating an intelligent interest in and deeper affection for the University of Texas at Austin. Serving as a laboratory for student leadership experience, self-expression, and management, the Union contributes to the development of effective leaders for future responsibilities in community, civic, state, and national affairs.

The Board of Directors establishes policy for the Texas Union. The voting membership of the board includes six students and three faculty members. The Texas Union Program Council coordinator, the Texas Union Operations Council coordinator, the director of the Texas Union, the secretary to the Board of Directors, and the vice president for student affairs, or the vice president's delegate, serve as ex officio members without vote.

International Office

The International Office coordinates and administers programs that serve international students, faculty, staff, and visitors to the University community, as well as University students going abroad. The office is located at 2622 Wichita Street and is open 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. The telephone number is 471-1211.

International Students

Advisers who are aware of the demands associated with studying in another country are available to assist international students with academic matters not specifically within the province of the student's academic adviser, as well as answer questions concerning cross-cultural adjustment, orientation to the University,immigration status, financial aid, health insurance, housing, legal questions, employment, income tax status, social security regulations, and personal problems or concerns. The International Office serves in loco parentis in case of an emergency involving an international student or the student's family.

Sponsored Student Program. Students and sponsors of international students are provided advisers, special financial arrangements, required certifications, assistance with admission, and supervision while in academic status and under sponsorship. The office also provides reports to sponsors.

Irregular student status and withdrawal petition. International students seeking irregular status (less than twelve hours for an undergraduate student and less than nine hours for a graduate student) are referred to the International Office in accordance with immigration regulations. Withdrawal petitions for international students are referred to the International Office before final action is taken by the appropriate academic dean's office.

Special programs. The office administers special contract programs consistent with the academic objectives of the University and handles special arrangements for groups, including visiting representatives of other nations.

Mandatory health insurance. The Student Health Insurance Program is mandatory for international students and the cost is added automatically to the student's fee bill each semester. A student who has an acceptable level of coverage under a mandatory employee insurance plan, including University employee insurance, or a mandatory government-sponsored plan, may request a waiver of the fee at the time of registration or a refund prior to the last class day each semester. The minimum acceptable level of coverage is $50,000 per accident or illness, $10,000 for medical evacuation to the home country, and $7,500 for repatriation. Waivers must be requested at the International Office. Dependents in J-2 (exchange visitor) status are also required to have an acceptable level of coverage. Coverage for dependents may be arranged through the International Office.

English as a second language services. English classes for nonnative speakers are available through ESL Services in the International Office. ESL Oral Communication and ESL Academic Writing are courses available to graduate students. ESL Academic English is offered to undergraduates. These courses do not carry University of Texas credit, but each is considered the equivalent of a three-hour course for purposes of fulfilling the full course of study requirement. Social and Practical English, a course designed for family members of international students and visiting scholars, and a full-time intensive Academic English Program for prospective graduate students are also offered.

Study Abroad

Information about educational opportunities in other countries is available at the Study Abroad Office located in Carothers Residence Hall. Information sessions are offered daily for most of the academic year; students are encouraged to attend a session before seeking staff assistance in selecting the program most appropriate to their individual needs and interests. The sessions include University policies governing study abroad, program options, funding sources, and application and selection procedures. Information is also disseminated through publications, special events, group meetings, individual appointments, and reference materials.

University programs available to students include reciprocal exchanges with foreign universities, affiliated studies through consortial agreements, and courses taught abroad.

Exchange programs. Students in exchange programs register for a block of coursework in study abroad (SAB). Faculty in the appropriate academic departments review the student's work to determine equivalent University courses and assign grades based on evaluation from the host institution. Courses and grades are recorded as resident credit. Students are assessed the normal tuition and fees according to the number of semester credit hours undertaken plus a study abroad fee of $5 per semester credit hour.

Affiliated studies. Students participating in study abroad programs offered by other institutions with which the University has an affiliation agreement and students engaged in independent study or research who have been awarded a University-approved scholarship, fellowship, or grant may register for affiliated studies (A S). Students enrolled in affiliated studies are considered full-time students for financial aid purposes. A fee of $60 is assessed students registering for affiliated studies.

Courses taught abroad. Academic units may offer courses taught abroad as a part of their regular curriculum. Students registering in these courses follow normal registration procedures and are assessed tuition and fees according to the number of semester credit hours undertaken. Additional fees are charged to cover program costs.

Financial assistance. Advisers verify budgets for students awarded funding through the Office of Student Financial Services. Information about other awards for study abroad is available. The Study Abroad Office administers the campus competition for a number of grants, including the Institute of International Education (IIE) Fulbright grants, the National Security Education Program (NSEP) grants, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) grants, regional IIE awards, the Chancellor's Scholarship (Alexander von Humboldt Foundation), and the University's International Education Fee Scholarships (IEFS).

Student Government

Originally established in 1902 (as the Students' Association), Student Government was active until it was abolished by student referendum in 1978. A 1982 referendum reestablished the organization, which continues to serve as a recognized forum for student opinion. The membership of Student Government includes every student enrolled at the University, though official actions of the organization are carried out by the executive branch, the Student Assembly, and the judicial branch.

Student Government was instrumental in establishing the Student Health Center, the summer orientation program, the shuttle bus system, a walking escort service, a minority information center, childcare services, student cable television, and student radio. Student Government also provides input and initiatives to the University administration, the city council, and the state legislature on such matters as minority recruitment and retention, curriculum reform, tuition increases, teacher evaluations, class availability, and the quality of undergraduate education. Student Government appoints students to the Faculty Council, the Texas Union Board of Directors, and the Student Services Fee Committee, and nominates students to the standing committees of the General Faculty.

Student Government projects cover a wide range of issues and any student may join a committee and work on a project. Elections for president, vice president, and members of the Student Assembly are held in early March each year. More information about Student Government is available at 471-3166 or in Union Building 4.310.

Cabinet of College Councils

The Cabinet of College Councils is the coordinating body for the college councils, which are composed of student leaders enrolled in each of the University's colleges and schools. Established in 1973, the cabinet works directly with the councils to promote academic programs and to encourage teaching excellence. The group's major responsibilities include selecting the recipients of the Texas Excellence Teaching Awards and honoring students selected for Who's Who in American Colleges and Universities. The cabinet reviews the budgetary policies and approves the annual budgets of each of the college councils. Two members of the cabinet serve on the Faculty Council, the legislative body for the University. The cabinet also works with Student Government to accomplish goals that benefit all University students. The cabinet office is located on the fourth floor of the Texas Union; interested students should call 471-3166 for additional information.

Student Publications

Student publications and media at the University of Texas at Austin are governed by the Board of Operating Trustees, Texas Student Publications (TSP). TSP publishes the Daily Texan student newspaper five days a week. The Texan has won more national awards than any other student newspaper and is among the nation's leading college newspapers. TSP also produces the Cactus yearbook for the University, the Peregrinus yearbook for the School of Law, the University Directory, and the annual Guide to Campus Living. TSP operates KVRX student radio and KVR9, the only student-operated, low-power television station in the country. Both the Cactus and KVRX have won top national student media honors in recent years.

Legal Services for Students

Advice, representation, mediation, or referral for legal problems is available for students through Legal Services for Students. No charge is assessed for advice, referral, or general assistance, but payment of court costs and other incidental expenses may be required if the office agrees to handle a student's case. The office reserves the right to accept or decline any individual case and to determine the manner of legal representation that it will provide.

Representation may be provided in civil legal matters only. Cases normally accepted for representation are landlord-tenant disputes, consumer protection matters including deceptive trade practices, claims resulting from automobile accidents, employment disputes, credit card complaints, and auto repair matters. The office is prohibited from representing students in criminal proceedings, purely business matters, family law, and most civil actions against other students, or in actions directly or indirectly against any part of The University System or its agents.

The office also prepares wills and provides a free notary service. The attorneys are available by appointment to speak to University classes and organizations.

Office of the Ombudsman

The ombudsman serves as a neutral third party providing assistance to students who have University-related complaints of a nonlegal nature. The ombudsman and most of the office staff are students. The office is authorized to investigate grievances and recommend corrective measures involving both academic and nonacademic concerns. The types of cases the office handles include complaints about grades, parking, financial aid, registration, adds and drops, refunds, residency, housing, and scholastic probation and dismissal. Any case considered inappropriate may be declined by the ombudsman. All assistance provided by the office is confidential and is available by phone or in person.

Student Grievance Procedures

Academic related grievances. Academic grievances involving grade disputes should be discussed with the course instructor. Grade disputes that are not resolved and all other academic grievances should be submitted in writing to the department chairman or other designated administrator of the academic program to which the grievance relates. Appeals may be directed to the appropriate academic dean who will render the final decision.

The dean of the college or school in which a student is enrolled has jurisdiction over the student's program of study, degree requirements, and all other academic matters including grievances, except as described below. Students taking a course in a college or school other than the one in which they are primarily registered are subject, so far as the course and academic grievances regarding the course are concerned, to the dean of the college or school in which the course is offered. For issues involving scholastic dishonesty, see Appendix C, chapter 11.

Student program and student activity related grievances. Grievances related to nonacademic student programs and activities should be submitted in writing to the director of the specific student affairs area. Appeals may be directed to the vice president for student affairs, and then to the president for final disposition.

Appendix C of this catalog describes the institutional rules on student services and activities and includes provisions for formal hearings. Additional information on these provisions is available through the Office of the Dean of Students located on the second floor of the Flawn Academic Center.

Disability related grievances. No qualified disabled student shall, on the basis of disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or otherwise be subjected to discrimination under any academic program or activity at the University of Texas at Austin. In accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), complaints alleging discrimination on the basis of disability that involve academic matters should be submitted according to the procedures for academic related grievances; those that involve student programs and student activities should be submitted according to the procedures for student program and student activity related grievances.

Sexual and racial harassment and sexual assault. Complaints alleging sexual or racial harassment or sexual assault should be addressed in accordance with the policies and procedures in Appendixes D, E, and H.


Under the direction of the president, the dean of students is primarily responsible for the administration of student discipline. In carrying out this responsibility, the dean consults regularly with the Discipline Policies Committee.

General statement. Students at the University neither lose the rights nor escape the responsibilities of citizenship. They are expected to obey and conduct themselves in accordance with the penal and civil statutes of the local, state, and federal government, Rules and Regulations of the Board of Regents, and University regulations and administrative rules. They may be disciplined by the University for violating these standards of conduct on the campus or off the campus when the incident occurs in connection with an institution-oriented activity, or has a substantial connection to the interests of the University, or when the behavior is prohibited by University policy regardless of where it occurs, even if they are or may be penalized by civil authorities for the same act. Institutional disciplinary penalties must not, however, be used merely to duplicate the penalties imposed by civil authority.

Scholastic dishonesty. Since the value of a university degree depends on the absolute integrity of the work done by each student for that degree, a student should maintain a high standard of individual honor in his or her scholastic work.

Scholastic dishonesty includes, but is not limited to, cheating, plagiarism, collusion, and falsifying academic records. See Appendix C, Institutional Rules on Student Services and Activities, section 11 - 802, in this catalog.

Group responsibility. Any student organization is subject to disciplinary action or revocation of registration as a student organization for violation of the penal and civil statutes of the local, state, or federal government, or a rule or regulation of The University of Texas System or the University of Texas at Austin. See Appendix C, Institutional Rules on Student Services and Activities, chapter 6, "Student Organizations."

Disciplinary procedures. The University of Texas at Austin administers student discipline according to the established procedures of due process. Procedures are defined and described in Rules and Regulations of the Board of Regents, Part One, chapter VI, section 3, and in Institutional Rules on Student Services and Activities, chapter 11, "Student Discipline and Conduct." (See Appendix C.)

Religious Organizations

State institutions are constitutionally restricted with regard to the establishment of religion; however, many sectarian activities are available to students through the sponsorship of various denominational organizations. Several churches, synagogues, and other places of worship are located in the University area. A number of student centers are maintained near campus, and many student religious organizations are registered with the University.

Regulations Concerning the Registration of Motor Vehicles

Students who drive or park a vehicle on campus must purchase a permit from the Parking and Traffic Office. To park within the campus boundaries, a proper permit must be displayed as required. Purchase of a permit does not assure a parking space.

Class C parking permits are available to any student enrolled in the University. Class M parking permits are issued for motorcycles, motor-assisted bicycles, and motor scooters. These vehicles may be parked only in areas designated for their use. Class R permits are available to residents of University-owned housing located on the main campus. Class G parking permits are available to graduate students at the University who also are employed by the University at least twenty hours a week. A signed copy of the appointment or reappointment form is required to obtain a permit.

Class C, M, and G permits purchased in the fall semester are valid through August 31 of the following year. Class R permits are valid through May 31 of the following year with a permit for the summer session available for an additional fee. The fees are $65 for a class C permit, $35 for a class M permit, and $75 for a class G permit. The fee for an R permit for the fall and spring semesters is $240. Permits purchased in the spring semester are $45 for a class C permit, $25 for a class M, and $55 for a class G, and are valid through the end of the summer session. A class R permit for the spring semester is $165. Permits for the summer session only are $25 for a C, $15 for an M, $35 for a G, and $90 for an R permit. Replacement permits are available for a nominal fee. Parking garage contracts are available on a semester basis for $220 a semester and $90 for the summer session.

Individuals whose vehicles display the state-issued license plate or placard for the disabled may park in any space designated for the disabled and are exempt from parking meter fees and time limits. Temporary permits for up to two weeks may be obtained from the Student Health Center. A person whose vehicle displays the disabled veteran license plate is not entitled to use a parking space designated for the disabled unless the vehicle also displays the state-issued placard.

A printed copy of University parking and traffic regulations is available on request from the Parking and Traffic Office located in the Service Building, Room 1, 471-PARK.

Table of Charges for Violation of Parking and Traffic Regulations

Chapter Contents Preceding File Next File

Next Chapter | General Information Table of Contents | General Information Home Page | Registrar's Home Page | UT Home Page

28 August 1996. Registrar's Web Team
Comments to