UT Austin
General Info


The University


Registration, Fees, and Deposits

Academic Policies and Procedures

Student Affairs

Libraries and Other Academic Resources

Ex-Students' Association




Academic Policies and Procedures


Teacher Certification

To be recommended for a certificate to teach in elementary or secondary schools, an undergraduate student must earn a degree as well as complete an approved teacher certification program. The following requirements for approved programs are to be completed in conjunction with degree requirements:

  1. Enrollment. Students seeking secondary certification must earn a degree from the college or school that houses the academic program in their prospective teaching field. Students should be advised by both an adviser in their academic department and a teacher certification adviser in the College of Education, to confirm that the courses for which they register are applicable to their certification program. Students seeking certification to teach at the elementary school level must register in the College of Education and major in an interdisciplinary program, Applied Learning and Development.

  2. Admission to the professional sequence. Approval of a formal application, due by a specific deadline, is required before a student may take professional education courses. Admission requirements include the completion of at least seventy-two semester hours of college credit, including certain prerequisite courses with an acceptable grade point average; a University grade point average of at least 2.50 and a cumulative grade point average on work taken at other institutions of at least 2.50; a passing score on each part of the Texas Academic Skills Program (TASP) Test (unless the student is exempt based on test scores or coursework approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board); and the submission of a complete application. Applicants with a University grade point average of 3.00 or higher receive priority in selection.

  3. Exit test. An individual seeking certification, including one who holds a valid out-of-state certificate, is required to achieve a satisfactory level of performance on the Examination for the Certification of Educators in Texas (ExCET) to be approved for the provisional or professional teacher's certificate, for additional teaching fields or areas of specialization, or for endorsements. Students who do not apply for their teaching certificate within one year of completing student teaching may be required to complete additional fieldwork hours and coursework before applying for the certificate.

  4. Legal questions. In accordance with article 6252-13C, Texas Civil Statutes, the commissioner of education may suspend or revoke a teaching certificate or refuse to issue a teaching certificate for a person who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor for a crime that directly relates to the duties and responsibilities of the teaching profession. Information about other legal questions may be obtained from the teacher certification officer, George I. Sanchez Building 216, (512) 471-3223.

For more information about teacher certification programs, students should see a certification adviser in the dean's office of the College of Education, George I. Sanchez Building 216.

Placement Services

There is no centralized placement service at the University, but placement offices have been established in the Colleges of Communication, Education, Engineering, Liberal Arts, Natural Sciences, and Pharmacy; the Departments of Chemistry and Biochemistry and Geological Sciences; the Schools of Architecture, Business, Law, and Social Work; the Graduate School of Library and Information Science; and the Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs. The College of Fine Arts provides career services through the Office of the Dean; the School of Nursing, through the Student Affairs Office. In addition, a number of departments have placement advisers.


With proper identification, a student may purchase an official transcript in person or by mail for $5 a copy. A transcript may be ordered by telephone, provided the caller's identification can be established, for $10 a copy. The transcript includes only the academic record accumulated at the University of Texas at Austin. Unofficial copies of transcripts from other institutions are furnished by the registrar in accordance with the Texas Open Records Act, for a fee of $5. A transcript is a comprehensive record of an individual's academic progress at the University; it contains all the significant facts about a student's admission, academic level, and scholarship. No partial or incomplete record (e.g., with grades of F omitted) will be issued. A student who owes a debt to the University may not be able to obtain an official transcript until the debt is paid.

Texas law provides criminal penalties for forgery of a transcript or similar document.


A graduate of the University may purchase a diploma to replace one that has been lost or destroyed. If purchased more than one year after the original diploma was issued, the replacement will bear the reissue date below the date the degree was awarded. The signatures of University and University of Texas System officials may not be the same as those on the original diploma since the signatures of former officials are not maintained on file. Additional copies of an original diploma also may be purchased at the time of issue. Orders should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar with a $10 fee for each diploma.

A student who requests a new diploma based on a change of name must pay the fee unless the name change was submitted by the deadline set by the registrar or a postponement of the deadline was granted.

Personal Record Information

Name change. University policy is to maintain educational records under the student's full, legal name. Official documents such as diplomas and transcripts will not be issued bearing any other name.

A currently enrolled student may change the name on his or her permanent academic record by presenting a certified copy of the appropriate documentation to the registrar. To correct the spelling or the proper sequence of the name requires a copy of the student's birth certificate. To change the name, the student must present a notarized request and a copy of the signed court order showing the new legal name. To assume the spouse's name following marriage, a student must present a notarized request and a copy of the marriage certificate. A student who wishes to discontinue use of the married name and resume use of the original family name, or another name, must present a divorce decree or signed court order showing restoration of the original, or other, name.

The University maintains student records under the name the student had when last enrolled. A former student may not change the name on his or her permanent academic record except by presenting a notarized request and a certified copy of the signed court order showing the authorized name change.

Change of address and/or telephone. The student must give correct local and permanent addresses and telephone numbers to the Office of the Registrar and to the office of the student's dean and must notify these offices immediately of any changes in address or telephone number. Official correspondence is sent to the address last given to the registrar; if the student has moved and failed to correct this address, he or she will not be relieved of responsibility on the grounds that the correspondence was not delivered.

Summons to Administrative Offices

A summons to the office of any administrative officer must be observed. Failure to respond to a summons may result in suspension from the University. In most colleges and schools a summons to the dean is sent by mail, so it is important that the student keep both the dean and the registrar informed of current address information.

Official Communications with the University

Students are expected to attend to business matters with the University during regular working hours, Monday through Friday. A student who is unable to conduct business personally should contact the appropriate office by mail or telephone. For purposes of proper identification and clarity, written communications should include the student's name, social security number, and local address (if applicable).

Top of File      Chapter Four

Contents  |  Previous File

General Information catalog

Chapter 1 - The University
Chapter 2 - Admission
Chapter 3 - Registration, Fees, and Deposits
Chapter 4 - Academic Policies and Procedures
Chapter 5 - Student Affairs
Chapter 6 - Libraries and Other Academic Resources
Chapter 7 - Ex-Students' Association
Statistical Summaries

Related information

Course Schedules
Academic Calendars
Office of Admissions

Office of the Registrar
University of Texas at Austin

27 July 2000. Registrar's Web Team
Comments to rgcat@utxdp.dp.utexas.edu