skip to content
UT Austin
General Info 02-03


The University


Registration, Fees, and Deposits

Academic Policies and Procedures

Student Affairs

Libraries and Other Academic Resources

The Texas Exes





4. Academic Policies and Procedures



Teacher Certification

The University of Texas at Austin conducts a large, field-based educator preparation program leading to certification for future teachers, administrators, and educational support personnel. This program is assessed each year by the State of Texas and, beginning in 2001, by the federal government. The results of these evaluations attest to the high quality of educator preparation at UT Austin. For the academic year 1999-2000 (the latest complete data available), there were 963 students enrolled in educator certification programs. Teacher preparation required an extensive supervised practice teaching experience, averaging forty-one hours per week for at least one semester, for 498 students. These students were supervised by thirty-four faculty members, yielding a student-faculty ratio of 14.6:1 during this intensive field experience. Of the 482 students from UT Austin who took an educator certification exam in 1999-2000, 96 percent passed. This passing rate ranks in the highest quartile for all educator certification programs in Texas (the statewide average pass rate was 88 percent). Based on certification exam pass rates for all applicant demographic groups, the Texas State Board for Educator Certification rated the University of Texas at Austin educator preparation program "accredited," its highest rating.

The University of Texas at Austin is authorized by the State Board for Educator Certification to recommend students for teacher certification. To be recommended for a certificate to teach in elementary, middle, or high schools, an undergraduate student must earn a degree as well as complete an approved teacher certification program. The following requirements for approved programs are to be completed in conjunction with degree requirements:

  1. Enrollment.

    Students seeking certification to teach at the elementary school level (early childhood through grade 4) must register in the College of Education and major in an interdisciplinary program, Applied Learning and Development.

    Students seeking middle grades (grades 4-8), high school (grades 8-12), or all-level (early childhood though grade 12) certification must earn a degree from the college or school that houses the academic program in their prospective teaching field. Students should be advised by both an adviser in their academic department and a teacher certification adviser, to confirm that the courses for which they register are applicable to their certification program.

    Students seeking teacher certification should select from the following options:

    1. Early childhood through grade 4: generalist, bilingual generalist, or generalist with generic special education

    2. Grades 4 through 8: math, science, English/language arts, or social studies

    3. Grades 8 through 12 or all-level: specific teaching fields

    High school and all-level certification require an academic major in the subject to be taught.

  2. Admission to the professional sequence. Approval of a formal application, due by a specific deadline, is required before a student may take professional education courses. Admission requirements include the completion of certain prerequisite courses with an acceptable grade point average; a University grade point average of at least 2.50 and a cumulative grade point average on work taken at other institutions of at least 2.50; a passing score on each part of the Texas Academic Skills Program (TASP) Test (unless the student is exempt based on test scores or coursework approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board); and the submission of a complete application. Applicants with a University grade point average of 3.00 or higher receive priority in selection.

  3. Certification exam. An individual seeking certification is required to achieve a satisfactory level of performance on the appropriate Texas Educator Certification Examinations to be approved for initial or additional certification. Students who do not apply for their teaching certificate within one year of completing student teaching may be required to complete additional fieldwork hours and coursework before applying for the certificate.

  4. Legal questions. In accordance with article 6252-13C, Texas Civil Statutes, the commissioner of education may suspend or revoke a teaching certificate or refuse to issue a teaching certificate for a person who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor for a crime that directly relates to the duties and responsibilities of the teaching profession. Information about other legal questions may be obtained from the teacher certification officer, George I. Sanchez Building 216, (512) 471-3223.

For students who hold a bachelor's degree, the certification programs have postbaccalaureate programs leading to teacher certification at all levels. Program requirements may be different from the undergraduate certification programs.

For more information about teacher certification programs, students should see a certification adviser in the dean's office of the College of Education, George I. Sanchez Building 216.

Placement Services

There is no centralized placement service at the University, but placement offices have been established in the Colleges of Communication, Education, Engineering, Liberal Arts, Natural Sciences, and Pharmacy; the Departments of Chemistry and Biochemistry and Geological Sciences; the Schools of Architecture, Business, Law, and Social Work; the Graduate School of Library and Information Science; and the Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs. The College of Fine Arts provides career services through the Office of the Dean; the School of Nursing, through the Student Affairs Office. In addition, a number of departments have placement advisers.


With proper identification, a student may purchase an official transcript in person, by mail, by telephone, or through the Web for $10 a copy. A transcript may be ordered by telephone, provided the caller's identification can be established, for $10 a copy. The transcript includes only the academic record accumulated at the University of Texas at Austin. Unofficial copies of transcripts from other institutions are furnished by the registrar in accordance with the Texas Open Records Act, for a fee of $5. A transcript is a comprehensive record of an individual's academic progress at the University; it contains all the significant facts about a student's admission, academic level, and scholarship. No partial or incomplete record (e.g., with grades of F omitted) will be issued. A student who owes a debt to the University may not be able to obtain an official transcript until the debt is paid. Additional information about requesting a transcript is available at

Texas law provides criminal penalties for forgery of a transcript or similar document.


A graduate of the University may purchase a diploma to replace one that has been lost or destroyed. If purchased more than one year after the original diploma was issued, the replacement will bear the reissue date below the date the degree was awarded. The signatures of University and University of Texas System officials may not be the same as those on the original diploma since the signatures of former officials are not maintained on file. Additional copies of an original diploma also may be purchased at the time of issue. Orders should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar with a $10 fee for each diploma.

A student who requests a new diploma based on a change of name must pay the fee unless the name change was submitted by the deadline set by the registrar or a postponement of the deadline was granted.

Personal Record Information

Name change. University policy is to maintain educational records under the student's full, legal name. Official documents such as diplomas and transcripts will not be issued bearing any other name.

A currently enrolled student may change the name on his or her permanent academic record by presenting a certified copy of the appropriate documentation to the registrar. To correct the spelling or the proper sequence of the name requires a copy of the student's birth certificate. To change the name, the student must present a notarized request and a copy of the signed court order showing the new legal name. To assume the spouse's name following marriage, a student must present a notarized request and a copy of the marriage certificate. A student who wishes to discontinue use of the married name and resume use of the original family name, or another name, must present a divorce decree or signed court order showing restoration of the original, or other, name.

The University maintains student records under the name the student had when last enrolled. A former student may not change the name on his or her permanent academic record except by presenting a notarized request and a certified copy of the signed court order showing the authorized name change.

Change of address and/or telephone. The student must give correct local and permanent addresses and telephone numbers to the Office of the Registrar and to the office of the student's dean and must notify these offices immediately of any changes in address or telephone number. Official correspondence is sent to the address last given to the registrar; if the student has moved and failed to correct this address, he or she will not be relieved of responsibility on the grounds that the correspondence was not delivered.

Summons to Administrative Offices

A summons to the office of any administrative officer must be observed. Failure to respond to a summons may result in suspension from the University. In most colleges and schools a summons to the dean is sent by mail, so it is important that the student keep both the dean and the registrar informed of current address information.

Official Communications with the University

Students are expected to attend to business matters with the University during regular working hours, Monday through Friday. A student who is unable to conduct business personally should contact the appropriate office by mail or telephone. For purposes of proper identification and clarity, written communications should include the student's name, student identification number, and local address (if applicable).


Top of File     

Previous File in Chapter 4 



General Information
Chapter 1 - The University
Chapter 2 - Admission
Chapter 3 - Registration, Fees, and Deposits
Chapter 4 - Academic Policies and Procedures
Chapter 5 - Student Affairs
Chapter 6 - Libraries and Other Academic Resources
Chapter 7 - The Texas Exes
Statistical Summaries

Related Information
Course Schedules
Academic Calendars
Office of Admissions

Office of the Registrar
University of Texas at Austin

19 August 2002. Registrar's Web Team

Send comments to Official Publications