Appendix C. Institutional Rules on Student Services and Activities
Chapter 8. The Texas Union
Subchapter 8-100. General Provisions
Sec. 8-101. Purpose
The union provides cultural, educational, social, and recreational programs as well as related goods, services, and facilities for the University and greater community.
Sec. 8-102. Definitions
In this chapter, unless the context requires a different meaning,
- "board" means the Board of Directors of the Texas Union;
- "chancellor" means the Office of the Chancellor of The University of Texas System;
- "director" means the director of the Texas Union;
- "president" means the chief administrative officer of the
University of Texas at Austin;
- "student" means a person enrolled in residence at the University;
- "union" means the Texas Union;
- "SEC" means the Texas Union Student Events Center;
- "University" means the University of Texas at Austin; and
- "vice president" means the vice president for student affairs at the University
of Texas at Austin.
Subchapter 8-200. The Board of Directors of the Texas Union
Sec. 8-201. Membership
- The board has nine voting members. The members are
- three members of the faculty, appointed by the president for
three-year overlapping terms, one to be appointed each year, effective May 1; and
- six students, including the Student Government president, the SEC president, and four others as follows:
- two students registered for at least six semester hours
during each long-session semester of service, to be selected by the president of the Student Government after announcement of the position opening in the Daily Texan and other appropriate media; appointments shall be ratified by a majority vote of the Student Assembly and shall become effective May 1 for two-year overlapping terms; and
- two students registered for at least six semester hours during each long-session semester of service to be elected for one-year terms by the student body during Student Government elections each year.
- The vice president, or the vice president's delegate, and the director are members of the board without vote.
Sec. 8-202. Officers
The officers of the board are the chair, the vice chair, and the director. The chair shall be elected each year from the student membership of the board by the voting members of the board to serve a term to extend from the first official board meeting of the fall semester until May 15 the following year or until a new chair is elected. To qualify for election as chair, a student shall have at least one year's experience on either the SEC or the board. This qualification may be waived by a two-thirds vote. Both outgoing and new board members shall be eligible to vote for chair. The vice chair of the board shall be a student member, chosen each semester by the elected chair. The Student Government president and the SEC president cannot serve as chair of the Board of Directors. The officers of the board shall perform the usual duties of their respective offices.
Sec. 8-203. Meetings
The board shall meet once a month during each long session, setting its own dates for meetings, formulating its own rules of procedure, and setting up and appointing such committees as it may deem necessary and desirable for the proper use of the facilities of the union consistent with the Regents' Rules.
Sec. 8-204. Executive Committee
- The board may authorize three of its voting members to serve
between meetings as an executive committee.
- An executive committee may act for the board only during the
period beginning May 15 of each year and ending the first day of registration for the fall semester or during official University semester breaks or holiday periods. All actions taken by the executive committee are subject to ratification by the board.
Sec. 8-205. Duties
The board shall
- recommend rules, regulations, and procedures regarding
the operation and use of the union;
- approve the SEC budget, appointment of SEC officers, all changes in the SEC by-laws, and the addition or deletion of any SEC committees;
- advise the president, through the vice president, on the selection of the union director;
- be involved in the future development of the union.
Subchapter 8-300. Review of Board Action
Sec. 8-301. Review by the President
- The board shall deliver promptly to the president at least two copies
of the minutes of each board or executive committee meeting.
- No recommendation of the board or executive committee shall have
any force or effect until said recommendation has been approved by the president
and has received such other approval as required.
- Every action of the board or of a committee or subcommittee of the
board is subject to review by the president. The president may approve, reverse, or modify
each such action.
- Not later than ninety days after the close of each union fiscal year,
the director shall furnish to the president at least two copies of a complete report of
the fiscal affairs of the union during the preceding year to be distributed as the
president may direct.
- No budget or budget amendment adopted by the board is effective
until it is approved by the president through normal budget procedure.
- No expenditure shall be made by the board unless it is made pursuant to
a budget item that has been adopted by the board and has received final approval
from the president.
Subchapter 8-400. The Director of the Texas Union
Sec. 8-401. Duties of Director
- The director is administratively responsible to and shall report periodically to the vice president, serves as the chief executive official in the union, and is responsible for the operation of the union building and its programs and activities. The director shall
- coordinate all functions involving union facilities and the
interests of the various groups served by the facilities;
- consult with the board regarding the employment of
appropriate staff members;
- employ, supervise, and direct the work of all subordinate
- be a member of all committees without vote.
- Annually, on or before November 15, the director shall submit to the board a report of union activities for the year. Copies of the report shall be distributed to the president and to others as the president may direct.
Subchapter 8-500. The Texas Union Student Events Center
Sec. 8-501. Purpose
The SEC is chartered by the Texas Union to organize and present a program of activities and events for the University student body in areas of general interest.
Sec. 8-502. Members and Officers
- The SEC is composed of the various committees, their chairs, and the officers of the SEC.
- The SEC has a president elected by the student body in the general elections in the spring of each year and such other officers as approved by the Texas Union Board.
Sec. 8-503. Duties
The SEC is the decision making, coordinating, evaluating, and recommending body of the union's activities and events program. The SEC shall
- coordinate the union's activities and events program;
- evaluate the union activities and events program, and recommend changes to its components; and
- recommend to the board actions, policies, and procedures affecting the union activities and events program.
Sec. 8-504. Review of SEC Actions by the Board
All actions of the SEC are subject to review by
Subchapter 8-600. Union Facilities
Sec. 8-601. Reservation and Use of Union Facilities
- Union facilities are reserved primarily for use by students, faculty members, and staff members. Union activities financed in whole or in part by the union fee
are limited to activities in which all students are eligible to participate.
- In accordance with recommendations developed by the board,
the director or the director's representative may permit special persons, groups, or organizations to reserve and use portions of the union building when the intended use does not interfere with regular union programs or activities. The director may charge a reasonable rental fee for the use of union property or facilities by such persons, groups, or organizations. The director shall permit persons, groups, or organizations officially designated as guests of the University by the president, the chancellor, or the Board of Regents to use union facilities without cost. All requests for the use of union facilities are subject to prior reservations; for that reason, requests should be made as early as possible.
Sec. 8-602. Policy Against Discrimination
No person or organization shall be excluded from participation in or denied the benefits
of union facilities, services, and programs on any basis prohibited by applicable
law, including, but not limited to, race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, citizenship, veteran status, or sexual orientation.