Office of the Registrar     University of Texas at Austin
    Official Publications     Catalogs
Catalog cover art



About the catalog


Officers of administration


Board of Regents


Academic calendar



The University




Registration, fees, deposits


Academic policies


Student affairs


Libraries and other resources





Official extracurricular activities


Institutional rules


Sex discrimination and harassment


Sexual misconduct




AIDS and HIV policy


Sexual assault




Campus violence


Travel: University-
sponsored events


Travel: student organizations


SSN confidentiality


E-mail for official correspondence


Statistical Summaries

General Information | 2005-2006

Correspondence Work by Resident Students

Correspondence courses are not intended to be taken by students enrolled in residence except in unusual circumstances. A student who enrolls at the University must drop any correspondence work in progress or obtain the approval of his or her academic dean to continue the correspondence work.

A student enrolled in residence must have the prior approval of his or her dean to count correspondence work toward degree requirements. Correspondence courses taken from the University of Texas at Austin and used toward a degree at the University are subject to the same pass/fail rules that apply to courses taken in residence; information about pass/fail registration is given earlier in chapter 4.

to top »

Measurement and Evaluation Center

The Measurement and Evaluation Center (MEC), part of the Division of Instructional Innovation and Assessment, coordinates University testing programs, including examinations for course credit and placement, and serves as a test center for many examinations offered worldwide, including the College Level Examination Program, the Graduate Record Examinations, the Medical College Admission Test, the Law School Admission Test, the Miller Analogies Test, the Praxis Series (Professional Assessments for Beginning Teachers), the Test of English as a Foreign Language, and the Texas Higher Education Assessment. Information about academic placement and credit by examination as well as worldwide test programs is available at the MEC Web site, at the center at 2616 Wichita, or by mail from The University of Texas at Austin, Measurement and Evaluation Center, P O Box 7246, Austin TX 78713-7246; (512) 232-2662, fax (512) 471-3509. When writing for information, please include a daytime telephone number.

In addition to administering testing programs, the Measurement and Evaluation Center conducts studies to evaluate the effectiveness of the University in achieving the goals of its educational programs. The center assists faculty members with the construction, processing, and analysis of tests and other measuring instruments, with system design and data processing services involving automatic document scanning, and with related data processing activities. By means of Course-Instructor Surveys, the center enables faculty members to obtain student opinions of their courses and their teaching methods.

to top »

Course Placement and Credit by Examination

Students at the University may earn credit and determine course placement by examination. Some exams are required for enrollment in certain courses, while others are optional; most serve as a basis for course credit.

Any current, former, or prospective University student may attempt to earn credit by exam for any undergraduate course, provided the student has neither passed nor failed that course at the University or at any other collegiate institution. (When a student has received transfer credit for a course with fewer semester hours than the corresponding University course carries, the student may earn credit by exam for the University course, but only with the symbol CR.) Additional eligibility requirements may be established by the academic department awarding credit, with the approval of the dean of the college or school. Information about additional requirements is available from the Measurement and Evaluation Center and from the academic department.

Credit by exam does not become part of the student's official academic record until the student claims the credit by asking MEC to report it to the registrar's office. Although prospective students may take examinations to establish their eligibility to receive credit, credit is awarded only to officially enrolled students and former students. Enrollment on the twelfth class day of a semester or the fourth class day of a summer term constitutes official enrollment.

A student enrolled in college-level courses in the Division of Continuing and Extended Education may attempt to earn credit by exam under the same rules as students currently or formerly enrolled in resident credit courses at the University. The student must complete at least one college-level course before credit by exam can be awarded.

Credit earned by examination satisfies degree requirements in the same way as credit earned by passing a course, except that it does not count as credit earned in residence. Credit earned by examination does not jeopardize eligibility for scholarships that require freshman standing. The student's official transcript does not reflect unsuccessful attempts to earn credit by examination.

A student becomes eligible for credit by exam by earning a grade of C, B, or A. Credit may be accepted by the student with either the letter grade or the symbol CR (credit). Credit accepted with a letter grade is used in calculating the student's grade point average.

Credit by exam does not appear on the student's academic record until the student has claimed the credit by asking MEC to report it to the registrar's office. The student must advise MEC whether to report a letter grade or the symbol CR; after the credit has been reported, this choice may not be changed. Credit may be claimed only through the MEC Web site. [5] A fee is assessed for each report. The Web site gives a full explanation on how to petition and pay for credit by examination.

The choice of the symbol CR does not affect the number of semester hours for which a student may enroll on the pass/fail basis. Credit by exam may be accepted with the CR designation in both required and elective courses, except in the College of Communication; a student in the College of Communication must accept letter grades rather than the symbol CR in all courses in his or her major.

In deciding whether to petition the Measurement and Evaluation Center to report credit by examination to the registrar, students should consider the University's policy for a possible tuition rebate at graduation. See "Tuition Rebates for Certain Undergraduates" in chapter 3.

A student's academic dean may approve an exception to the course placement and credit by examination policies for compelling academic reasons. If the exception involves the student's eligibility to be tested or to receive credit by exam in a particular course, the exception must also be approved by the department in which the course is offered.

The faculties of the Colleges of Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences encourage students enrolled in those colleges to earn credit by exam in as many subjects as possible, including the student's major.

All tests administered at the University for course placement and credit by exam require a fee. Information, including the testing schedule, eligibility requirements, test descriptions, sample questions, and the amount of test fees (including a $15 nonrefundable test registration fee), is available at the MEC Web site. Information may also be obtained by sending the name and address to which the information should be mailed and two first-class postage stamps for each handout requested to The University of Texas at Austin, Measurement and Evaluation Center, P O Box 7246, Austin TX 78713-7246. The academic subject, specific test, and other topics about which information is needed should be stated. The center is located at 2616 Wichita Street. The telephone number is (512) 232-2662, fax (512) 471-3509.

to top »

Examinations required or recommended for course placement. The following tests are normally given on the University campus immediately before each semester and the first summer term, during most summer orientation sessions, and at least once each fall and spring semester. The School of Journalism Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation Test and the Word Processing Test are given on an ongoing basis.

  1. Placement in rhetoric and composition. The College Board SAT Subject Test in Writing is required for placement at the appropriate level in lower-division rhetoric and composition courses. A student who makes a satisfactory score on the test is eligible to receive credit for Rhetoric and Composition 306. Before enrolling in Rhetoric and Composition 306, a student must have taken the Writing Subject Test, unless he or she has already taken the Advanced Placement Examination in English Language and Composition or has transfer credit for Rhetoric and Composition 306. National administration of the Writing Subject Test has been discontinued, but the test will continue to be administered at UT Austin until August 2006. The test will be available during the summer orientation periods and before classes begin. Additional information is available from the Measurement and Evaluation Center.
        International students whose native language is not English must submit satisfactory scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for admission to a lower-division rhetoric and composition course. A student who scores at least 250 on the computer-based TOEFL must also take the SAT Subject Test in Writing.
  2. Placement in languages. Students with transfer credit in a foreign language are strongly encouraged to take the placement test before enrolling in further coursework in that language; however, in most languages, students with transfer credit are not required to take the placement test.
        Students without transfer credit but with knowledge of American Sign Language or a foreign language, however acquired, must take the placement test before enrolling in a course in that language. The only exception to this policy is that students who have taken Spanish in high school may enroll in beginning Spanish without taking the placement test. The student must take the placement test before enrolling in any course beyond Spanish 508K.
        Foreign language placement tests serve not only to determine the level of work appropriate for students but also as the basis for credit by exam, which normally may be earned in as many as four lower-division courses. Credit by exam may be used to absolve a high school unit deficiency or to fulfill degree requirements. Credit that exceeds specific foreign language degree requirements often may be used as elective credit.
        For course placement and credit by examination, the University uses the University of Wisconsin College-Level Placement Tests in French and in Spanish; the SAT Subject Test in German with Listening plus UT Austin supplemental items; the SAT Subject Test in Korean with Listening plus UT Austin supplemental essay; and UT Austin Tests for Credit in Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, and Russian. Information about these tests and sample questions may be obtained from the Measurement and Evaluation Center and at the MEC Web site.
        Students who have taken either a College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Examination in French, German, or Spanish or any International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher-Level Examination in a foreign language do not need to take the corresponding required placement test, because the AP or IB examination results can be used for placement. For foreign language tests not listed in this section, students should contact the Measurement and Evaluation Center for information.
  3. Placement in chemistry. The UT Austin Test for Credit in Chemistry 301 is required of students who are seeking the Bachelor of Science in Chemistry or the Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering, who studied chemistry in high school, and who do not have credit for Chemistry 301 or the equivalent. The test is recommended for physics, biomedical engineering, and other engineering majors who have sufficient background. Information, including eligibility requirements and sample questions, is available from the Measurement and Evaluation Center and at the MEC Web site.
  4. Placement in mathematics. Most entry-level mathematics courses have as a prerequisite either a minimum score on the SAT Subject Test in Mathematics Level 1 or credit with a minimum grade for a specified college-level mathematics course. Course prerequisites are given in the Undergraduate Catalog. Although the Level 1 test is preferred, a student may present a score on the Level 2 test. These tests serve as a basis for credit by examination for Mathematics 305G. Information and registration forms are available at the College Board Web site, from most high schools, and from the Measurement and Evaluation Center.
  5. Prerequisite for journalism. Students must have satisfactory scores on the School of Journalism Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation Test and Word Processing Test in order to register for Journalism 315 and any upper-division journalism course. Students with transfer credit for Journalism 315 must have satisfactory scores on both tests prior to enrolling in their first journalism skills course at the University. A student who believes he or she should be exempted from either test should contact the School of Journalism. Students may take the tests a maximum of four times. The tests do not serve as a basis for course credit.
  6. Computer Proficiency Test for business students. In order to register for Management Information Systems 301, the business core courses, and some business electives, students must take the Computer Proficiency Test. Students with transfer credit for Management Information Systems 301 or the equivalent are not required to take the test. (Texas Common Course Numbers BCIS 1305 and 1405 transfer as Management Information Systems 301.)

Optional examinations. The following optional tests serve as bases for credit by examination at the University.

  1. UT Austin tests for credit in biology, chemistry, computer sciences, government, Hindi, history, Latin, physics, and Polish. Eligible students can earn credit for specified courses in the fields named. Descriptions of the tests and test schedules are available from the Measurement and Evaluation Center and at the MEC Web site.
  2. College Board SAT Subject Tests. In addition to the required Writing Test and the Mathematics Level 1 or Level 2 Test, the University grants credit on the basis of the SAT Subject Tests in German with Listening, Korean with Listening, and Physics.
  3. College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations. Credit is granted to students who have earned satisfactory scores on the College Board Advanced Placement Examinations in art (art history and studio art), biology, chemistry, computer science, English, European history, French, German, human geography, Latin, macroeconomics, mathematics, microeconomics, music theory, physics, psychology, Spanish, statistics, United States government and politics, United States history, and world history. The AP Examination in government and politics is supplemented with test items on Texas government; these additional items are administered only at the University. Advanced Placement Examinations are different from the SAT Subject Tests and are offered only once each year, in May, at specific high schools across the country. More information about AP Examinations is published by the College Board.
  4. College Board College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) General Examinations. On the basis of the CLEP General Examinations, an unaffiliated student (one who has been out of high school or college for at least two years) may be eligible for credit without a grade in one or more subjects. Eligibility for credit depends on an evaluation of CLEP test scores in relation to college coursework, if any, in the areas covered by the CLEP General Examinations.
        Subject Examinations. The CLEP Subject Examinations in American government, American literature, calculus, college algebra, English literature, principles of macroeconomics, principles of microeconomics, introductory psychology, and introductory sociology are used as bases for credit by examination. Subject examinations are not restricted to unaffiliated students. The tests in American government, American literature, English literature, and college algebra are supplemented with items prepared by University faculty members; these items are available only on the University campus. Information about locally prepared items may be obtained from MEC. All CLEP subject examinations used by the University as a basis for credit by exam are given on campus on an ongoing basis. The University also serves as a nationwide testing center for the CLEP examinations.
  5. International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher-Level Examinations. Credit is granted by the University to students who earn satisfactory scores on the IB Higher-Level Examinations in Arabic, biology, chemistry, Chinese, computer science, Danish, Dutch, economics, English, French, geography, German, Hebrew, Hindi, history (concentrations in Africa, the Americas, Europe, and Islamic history), Italian, Japanese, Korean, mathematics, Norwegian, philosophy, physics, Portuguese, psychology, Russian, social and cultural anthropology, Spanish, Swedish, and visual arts (previously art/design).
  6. Other credit by examination. With the approval of the appropriate academic dean and department chair or program director, a student may take an examination in any undergraduate course offered by the University for which he or she has reason to feel qualified. A candidate may apply to take course examinations only after registering as a student at the University. Exams are given at the convenience of the administering department. A student who earns a satisfactory score will receive credit for the course.
        Application forms for course exams are available at the Measurement and Evaluation Center. A student who intends to apply for an exam over a first-year course should obtain a course outline from the department that offers the course; only students who have the equivalent in knowledge or training of that presented in the outline should apply for the exam.
to top »
General Information | 2005-2006 page 5 of 12 in Chapter 4
« prev | next »


    Office of the Registrar     University of Texas at Austin copyright 2005
    Official Publications 16 Aug 2005