Office of the Registrar     University of Texas at Austin
    Official Publications     Catalogs
Catalog cover art



About the catalog


Officers of administration


Board of Regents


Academic calendar



The University




Registration, fees, deposits


Academic policies


Student affairs


Libraries and other resources





Official extracurricular activities


Institutional rules


Sex discrimination and harassment


Sexual misconduct




AIDS and HIV policy


Sexual assault




Campus violence


Travel: University-
sponsored events


Travel: student organizations


SSN confidentiality


E-mail for official correspondence


Statistical Summaries

General Information | 2005-2006

Changing Registration to or from the Pass/Fail Basis or the Credit/No Credit Basis

Some courses must be taken for a letter grade; others must be taken on the pass/fail or credit/no credit basis. These requirements are given in catalogs and the Course Schedule. If registration in a course is not restricted to a specific grading basis, the student may choose to register either for a letter grade or for credit.

An undergraduate student may change registration in a class from the pass/fail basis to the letter-grade basis or from the letter-grade basis to the pass/fail basis until the deadline given in the academic calendar. The basis of registration for a course may be changed only once.

A graduate student may change registration in a class from the credit/no credit basis to the letter-grade basis or from the letter-grade basis to the credit/no credit basis until the deadline given in the academic calendar.

to top »


A student who wishes to withdraw from the University after completing registration for a semester or summer session must secure the dean's approval. A student who is a minor must present a written statement from a parent, guardian, or sponsor indicating that the responsible person knows of the student's intent to withdraw. In addition, international students must have permission from the International Office to withdraw. The dean's permit to withdraw must be submitted to the registrar, where the student may request a refund of fees in accordance with University policy. No fees will be repaid to anyone other than the payer, except on the payer's written order.

After the last day for withdrawing (approximately midsemester), an undergraduate student may petition for withdrawal only for urgent, substantiated, nonacademic reasons. Nonmedical withdrawal by an undergraduate student on scholastic probation may affect the student's scholastic standing. Information about scholastic probation and dismissal is given later in chapter 4.

A graduate student in good standing may withdraw with the approval of the graduate dean through the last class day of the semester. A graduate student who is in warning status may not withdraw without the recommendation of the graduate adviser and the approval of the graduate dean.

Withdrawal for military service. A student who withdraws as a result of being called to active military service may choose (1) to receive a refund of tuition and fees for the semester; (2) if eligible, to be assigned an incomplete (symbol X) in each course; or (3) at the instructor's discretion, to receive a final grade in courses where he or she has completed a substantial amount of coursework and has demonstrated sufficient mastery of the course material.

Medical withdrawal. A medically ill student whose illness precludes class attendance may be withdrawn from the University as of the date and under the conditions specified at the time of the withdrawal. A student who requests medical withdrawal must submit adequate written documentation from the treating physician to the associate director for clinical services of University Health Services; under specified conditions, the associate director will instruct the registrar to withdraw the student.

to top »


Regular attendance at all class meetings is expected. Instructors are responsible for implementing attendance policy and must notify students of any special attendance requirements.

Special regulations of colleges and schools, required by the unique
nature of their programs of study, may be enacted through the normal approval process. These special regulations may not conflict with University regulations on class attendance and absence.

Religious holy days. A student who misses classes or other required activities, including examinations, for the observance of a religious holy day should inform the instructor as far in advance of the absence as possible, so that arrangements can be made to complete an assignment within a reasonable time after the absence.

Absence for military service. In accordance with section 51.9111 of the Texas Education Code, a student is excused from attending classes or engaging in other required activities, including exams, if he or she is called to active military service of a reasonably brief duration. [6] The student will be allowed a reasonable time after the absence to complete assignments and take exams. Policies affecting students who withdraw from the University for military service are given above.

to top »
General Information | 2005-2006 page 7 of 12 in Chapter 4
« prev | next »


    Office of the Registrar     University of Texas at Austin copyright 2005
    Official Publications 16 Aug 2005