Admission Office of the Registrar University of Texas at Austin
Official Publications Admissions Current Students UT EID
General Information | 2006-2007 page 2 of 5 in Chapter 2
« prev | next »

Transfer Admission

The Office of Admissions offers a variety of services and resources to assist prospective students with the transfer application process. Transfer applicants are encouraged to use all available resources, especially one-on-one consultation with transfer admissions counselors, either by phone or in person in the main admissions office on the University campus. Counselors are available to meet with prospective students on a walk-in basis during regular office hours; no appointment is necessary. Prospective transfer students may request printed information about the process and ask questions about their individual situations when speaking with a counselor.

Prospective students may also communicate with admissions counselors through the Web site Be a Longhorn. The site offers the latest details about applying for transfer admission, as well as service by e-mail; secure access to personal information such as application status and admission decisions; and details about admissions, academics, financial aid, housing, and more.

Eligibility to Apply

To be eligible for transfer admission consideration, an applicant must

  1. Have graduated from high school or earned a GED
  2. Have enrolled in an institution of higher education following high school graduation or receipt of the GED
  3. Have completed or have in progress the final coursework toward at least thirty semester hours of transferable credit

Transfer applicants may apply for admission while working to complete the last of their required thirty semester hours of transferable coursework. In such cases, all items required to make the transfer application complete, including official transcripts of already completed coursework, must arrive in the Office of Admissions by the deadline. The applicant must then submit official transcripts showing completed coursework for the current semester as soon as the semester is completed. The Office of Admissions evaluates such applications only after documentation showing all of the required thirty semester hours of coursework has arrived.

An applicant who is ineligible to continue at a previous institution for academic or disciplinary reasons is not eligible for admission to the University. There is no probationary or provisional admission for transfer applicants.

to top »

Who Should Apply as a Transfer Student

Students who are enrolled or have been enrolled at another institution of higher education are considered prospective transfer students and should complete the State of Texas Common Application for Transfer Admission. In particular, the following students should apply for transfer admission:

  1. Students who attended UT Austin as visiting students in fall 2005 as a result of a hurricane disaster
  2. United States citizens and persons holding resident alien visas who have graduated from high school, have attempted college coursework, and wish to apply for admission as degree-seeking undergraduates
  3. Students who participated in the UT Austin Coordinated Admission Program at a UT System component institution but did not complete the program requirements
  4. UT Austin graduate students who are interested in taking undergraduate courses and who have never attended UT Austin as undergraduates
  5. Students who have previously taken only correspondence or extension courses at UT Austin
  6. Students who have taken only summer courses under transient status at UT Austin
  7. Holders of undergraduate degrees who wish to take additional undergraduate coursework at the University without seeking an additional degree. Nondegree seekers should select the nondegree option when completing the Texas Common Application for Transfer Admission.

The following applicants are not considered prospective transfer students and should not apply for transfer admission. Admission requirements and procedures for these applicants are given elsewhere in this chapter.

  1. Former students who have attended the University as regularly admitted students and have had their enrollment interrupted for at least one long-session semester
  2. Students who enrolled in college coursework only before high school graduation
  3. International students
  4. Applicants to the Law School
  5. Applicants to the Graduate School

Transfer Application Procedures

To be considered for transfer admission, the applicant must submit the following items by the application deadline. Official transcripts and test score reports submitted to the Office of Admissions will not be duplicated or returned to the student. Faxes of transcripts and applications are not accepted.

  1. A completed State of Texas Common Application for Transfer Admission, including the required essay(s) and statement of purpose.
  2. Separate, official transcripts (not duplicated or faxed copies) from each college attended, including any at which the applicant enrolled while in high school. Summer and fall applicants must submit official transcripts of all coursework undertaken through the previous fall; spring applicants must submit official transcripts of all work undertaken through the previous summer.
  3. The nonrefundable application fee or request for an exemption.
  4. (Recommended) An expanded résumé that provides information about the applicant's academic, extracurricular, community, and work activities.
Required for Enrollment

Before enrolling at the University, admitted transfer students must submit an official high school transcript. The transcript is used to verify completion of the units in foreign language and mathematics that are requirements of many University degrees. Although the high school transcript is not required for admission, applicants are strongly encouraged to submit it with other admissions credentials by the deadline.

Required for Some Applicants

  1. Permanent resident alien applicants must submit a photocopy of both sides of their permanent resident card.
  2. Transfer applicants (both United States citizens and permanent residents) who have undertaken a significant amount of their college coursework in a country in which English is not the only language spoken must show proficiency in English by presenting a score on either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
          A transfer applicant who meets any of the following conditions is usually exempted from this requirement:
    1. Earned three years of United States high school English credit, excluding ESL courses.
    2. Resided in the United States for ten years or more.
    3. Earned a bachelor's degree at a United States institution of higher education.
    4. Attended a United States institution of higher education immediately prior to enrollment at UT Austin.
    5. Graduated from a United States high school.
    During the application review process, applicants who appear to have an English deficiency will be notified and given specific instructions about the ways in which they can satisfy the deficiency. Although applicants are not required to satisfy this deficiency by the application deadline, their admission decision will not be rendered until the deficiency is satisfied.
to top »

Transfer Application Review Process

All applications for transfer admission are reviewed and evaluated individually and holistically. Admission decisions are made after careful consideration of the strength of the applicant's academic background; his or her record of achievement and accomplishment, both in and outside of the classroom; and related factors reported by the applicant in writing.

The Office of Admissions considers the following items when looking for evidence of a strong academic background:

  1. Substantial coursework from a challenging academic institution
  2. Required courses for specific areas of study
  3. Evidence of a positive academic trend

The following items form the basis for evaluating an applicant's record of achievement and accomplishment:

  1. Indications of a superior level of achievement in a particular area or particular attributes that would be an asset to a department or college
  2. Letters from deans, department chairs, or faculty members that attest to the applicant's qualifications for their respective programs
  3. Information on a personal résumé that attests to the applicant's skills, abilities, experiences, or background
  4. Performance at an audition or the quality of a portfolio, when required for a specific major
  5. Scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language or the International English Language Testing System, when required
  6. Other special circumstances, including socioeconomic standing; educational goals; cultural background; employment, internships, etc.; race or ethnicity; personal experiences and hardships; personal responsibilities; and any additional information submitted by the applicant

Enrollment pressures at the University may not permit admission of all who qualify for certain academic programs. When this occurs, the Office of Admissions will, within applicable law, admit those students who are judged to be most able to contribute to and benefit from the University's rich, diverse, and academically challenging environment. Additional admissions requirements for some undergraduate programs are described later in this chapter.

Grade point average computation. A transfer applicant's grade point average on transferable college coursework is a significant indicator of the applicant's academic strength. Because the Office of Admissions considers academic background as a factor when making transfer decisions, the grade point average can play an important role in an applicant's final admission decision.

The admission grade point average is computed on all transferable college coursework the student has undertaken, whether passed, failed, or repeated. The grade point average is computed on a four-point scale: a grade of A counts as four points a semester hour; a B, as three; a C, as two; a D, as one; and an F, as none. Grades awarded on the plus/minus basis are computed according to the fundamental letter grade; for example, grades of B+ or B- are computed as grades of B.

The grade point average is derived by dividing the total number of grade points the student has earned by the total number of semester hours he or she has undertaken. Credit hours and grade points earned on the quarter system carry two-thirds the numerical value of those earned on the semester system.

A normally transferable course in which the student earned a grade of D or F is included in the admission grade point average, but it is neither counted in the total number of transferred hours nor applicable toward degree requirements. All grades and hours for a repeated course are included in the admission grade point average, but transfer credit for the course may be counted in the total number of transferable hours only once.

Transfer and evaluation of credit. Applicants for transfer admission must submit official transcripts of all coursework taken at all other institutions for evaluation by the Office of Admissions. This evaluation determines whether the coursework could in any circumstance qualify for transfer credit at the University, but it does not constitute approval of the credit for use toward a degree; such approval is solely within the jurisdiction of a student's academic dean.

Policies governing the evaluation of transfer credit include the following:

  1. Transfer credit is generally awarded for academic course credit earned from regionally accredited institutions, or from institutions that are candidates for regional accreditation if the course credit was earned during the candidacy period. In rare circumstances, course credit earned at other institutions may also be accepted in transfer.
  2. Workforce (vocational) courses, developmental and remedial courses, and courses classified as below freshman level by the institution at which the student took them are not transferable and will not count toward a degree.
  3. Junior and community college courses transfer as lower-division (freshman or sophomore) credit. Undergraduate courses from senior colleges transfer at the same level, lower- or upper-division, as they were taken. Graduate-level coursework is not transferable as undergraduate credit.
  4. No limit is placed on the total amount of course credit accepted in transfer from either junior- or senior-level institutions. However, use of transfer credit toward a degree may be limited by the student's academic dean.
  5. Credit earned by examination at another institution is treated as transfer credit only if the sending institution records the credit on the student's transcript with regular catalog course numbers and with a grade of at least C, the symbol CR, or a similar designation representing credit earned without letter grade.
  6. All academic courses except developmental courses, whether passed, failed, or repeated, including those in which the student earned a grade of D, are used to compute the applicant's grade point average for admission purposes. However, a course in which the student earned a grade of D is not transferable and will not count toward a degree.
  7. Grades earned at other institutions are not averaged with grades earned at the University of Texas at Austin to determine the student's internal University grade point average.
  8. Transfer credit evaluations.
    1. University course numbers may be modified in transfer credit evaluations to reflect more or less credit than is normally provided by the course at the University. For example, Mathematics 301, a three-semester-hour course, is rendered as Mathematics 401 when the student completed a four-semester-hour course at another institution.
            Course numbers may also be modified to accommodate sequences not normally offered at the University. For example, Mathematics 301 may be rendered as Mathematics 601A and 601B when comparable content is taken as two three-semester-hour courses at another institution; the "A" and "B" suffixes each denote half of the complete course Mathematics 601.
    2. Course numbers not in the current Undergraduate Catalog may be used in awarding transfer credit. For example, Computer Sciences 301 and Mathematics 304E are no longer taught at the University but are routinely assigned in transfer evaluations because their equivalents are still commonly taught at other institutions and because they may be used to satisfy degree requirements.
    3. Courses at other institutions often have no direct University equivalents but may be accepted in transfer. If such a course is in a discipline offered at the University, credit is awarded without a specific course number. General elective credit may be awarded when no equivalent discipline exists at the University; use of elective credit toward a degree may be limited by the student's academic dean.
    4. In some disciplines, transfer credit is not assigned specific University course numbers. Instead, undesignated credit is assigned and the student's academic dean determines the specific credit to be allowed for degree purposes on a substitution basis.
    5. Transferred credit in music performance may not be counted toward a degree in music until the student has completed additional music performance coursework at the University.
  9. If the University refuses to accept lower-division credit earned at another Texas public institution of higher education, the student and the sending institution will be given written notice that transfer credit was refused. If nontransfer of credit is disputed, the University will attempt to resolve the matter with the student and the sending institution according to applicable rules and guidelines of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. If the dispute is not resolved to the student's or the sending institution's satisfaction within forty-five days of the initial notification, the University will notify the Coordinating Board of the refusal of the transfer credit and the reasons for refusal. The Coordinating Board will resolve the dispute and notify the parties of its findings.

Catalog eligibility for Texas transfer students. A student who transfers from another Texas public institution of higher education has the same catalog choices that he or she would have had if the dates of attendance at the University had been the same as the dates of attendance at the other institution. However, the student's choice of major may affect whether or not transferable coursework may be counted toward a degree. Rules about catalog choice are given in the Undergraduate Catalog.

Coursework-in-residence requirement. Candidates for all undergraduate degrees must complete at least sixty semester hours of coursework in residence at the University. A transfer student who has completed a substantial amount of transferable, degree-applicable coursework may be obliged to take more courses at the University than his or her degree program requires, simply to meet the residence requirement. Prospective applicants for transfer admission to some majors who have earned more than sixty hours of transferable credit are considered to have excessive hours. Students considering transfer after earning more than sixty hours of transferable credit should carefully review their options and the possible ramifications of the requirement for coursework in residence before transferring.

to top »

Transient Admission (Summer Only)

Undergraduate students who are pursuing degrees at other colleges and universities and wish to continue their studies at the University during the summer only may be admitted to some undergraduate programs as transient students. A transient student who then wishes to be admitted to the University on a regular basis must apply for admission as a transfer student.

A transient student may not register in the Graduate School but may take graduate courses if qualified. If the student is subsequently admitted to the University as a regular student, credit earned as a transient student may be used to meet undergraduate degree requirements but may not be used to fulfill the requirements for a graduate degree.

Students who attend the University as transient students and then are admitted on a regular basis are immediately subject to the University's academic regulations. In particular, such a student will be placed on scholastic probation upon enrollment if his or her grade point average for work undertaken as a transient student at the University is below 2.00.

Fresh Start

Section 51.931 of the Texas Education Code provides that a resident of Texas may apply for admission to the University as an undergraduate student without consideration of course credit or grades earned ten or more years prior to the semester the applicant plans to enroll. To be admitted, the applicant must meet the admission standards in effect at the time of application. Students admitted under the fresh start option may not receive credit for any coursework taken ten or more years prior to enrollment.

Additional information about the fresh start option is available from the Office of Admissions and on Be a Longhorn.

to top »

Enrollment as a Nondegree Student

A student who holds a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, including the University of Texas at Austin, may apply for admission as a nondegree student in one of the undergraduate colleges or schools. Applicants seeking nondegree admission follow the application process for undergraduate transfer and are considered on a competitive basis with transfer applicants for the same semester. Some undergraduate majors are not available for nondegree students; applicants must select from available nondegree majors.

Nondegree students are subject to the rules that apply to other undergraduates. With the approval of the director of admissions, nondegree students may change to degree-seeking status in an undergraduate college or school.

With the approval of the instructor and the graduate adviser, a nondegree student may take any graduate course for which he or she meets the prerequisite. However, graduate courses that a student takes while enrolled as an undergraduate nondegree student may not later be counted toward a graduate degree.

Exchange students. A student who is admitted to the University through a reciprocal exchange program is also classified as a nondegree student. An exchange student may not register for more than two long-session semesters and one summer session. The transferability of academic credit to the student's home institution is determined by the home institution.

An exchange student may later apply for admission to the University as a degree-seeking student, but only after completion of the exchange period. If the student is admitted as a degree-seeker, credit that he or she earned as an exchange student may be counted toward a University degree only on a limited basis and only with the approval of the student's dean.

to top »
General Information | 2006-2007 page 2 of 5 in Chapter 2
« prev | next »
Admission Office of the Registrar University of Texas at Austin copyright 2006
Official Publications 15 Aug 2006