Registration, fees, and deposits Office of the Registrar University of Texas at Austin
Official Publications Admissions Current Students UT EID
General Information | 2006-2007 page 6 of 7 in Chapter 3
« prev | next »

Fee Adjustments

Refunds are applied to any current and outstanding debts owed to the University. Section 54.006(d) of the Texas Education Code requires that the University refund tuition and fees paid by a sponsor, donor, or scholarship to the source, rather than directly to the student, if the funds were made available through the University. All refund orders are cashed at the Office of Accounting Cashiers in Main Building 8.

Refunds for Students Withdrawing from the University

Students who withdraw from the University receive a refund of a percentage of their tuition and required fees. The percentage varies according to the student's effective withdrawal date:

Long Session
Official withdrawal date Percentage refund
Prior to the first class day 100% less $15.00
matriculation fee
During the first five class days 80%
During the second five class days 70%
During the third five class days 50%
During the fourth five class days 25%
After the fourth five class days none
Summer Session
Official withdrawal date Percentage refund
Prior to the first class day 100% less $15.00
matriculation fee
During the first, second, or third class day 80%
During the fourth, fifth, or sixth class day 50%
After the sixth class day none
to top »

Withdrawal refunds are based on the student's schedule on the effective date of withdrawal; adds and drops are included in the calculation. In some cases, a student may receive two refund checks, one based on dropped courses and one based on withdrawal percentages for remaining courses.

Students withdrawn by the University because of a returned check are assessed a matriculation fee that enables the University to recover a portion of the processing costs of registration for students allowed a full refund. A student withdrawn by the University for scholastic reasons, course cancellations, or other reasons receives a full refund of fees paid that semester; the matriculation fee is not charged.

A student who withdraws as a result of being called to active military service may choose to receive a refund of tuition and fees. More information is given in the section "Withdrawal."

A student who withdraws after receiving any cash payment from the Office of Student Financial Services may be required to make full or partial repayment. Funds received through the Federal College Work-Study Program are not subject to repayment. Students should contact the Office of Student Financial Services for information regarding repayment obligations.

Student Accounts Receivable initiates refunds for all eligible students who submit approved withdrawal petitions to the Office of the Registrar as described in the section "Withdrawal." A refund is issued no earlier than thirty days after the date the student paid the initial tuition and fee bill. The refund is sent to the address specified on the withdrawal petition.

to top »

Adjustments for Added and Dropped Classes

Charges for added classes must be paid by the end of the twelfth class day in the fall and spring semesters and by the end of the fourth class day in the summer. Students can determine what they owe by visiting the Student Accounts Receivable Web site.

Refund of tuition and some required fees, less any debts owed to the University, is made for classes dropped during the first twelve class days in the fall and spring semesters and during the first four class days in the summer. No refunds are made for classes dropped after these dates. Refunds are issued the week after the twelfth (or fourth) class day. They are mailed to the student's local address or deposited into the account the student has designated if an electronic funds transfer authorization is in effect. The student may contact Student Accounts Receivable at (512) 475-7777 to verify account information.

Optional Fee Refunds

Refunds for the Cactus yearbook may be requested at the Texas Student Publications office.

Parking permit refunds may be requested at the Parking and Transportation Services office.

to top »

Tuition Rebates for Certain Undergraduates

An undergraduate may be eligible for a tuition rebate of up to $1,000 if, at graduation, he or she has attempted no more than three semester hours beyond the minimum number of hours required for the degree. The student must meet the following eligibility requirements.

  1. The student must not have been enrolled at any institution of higher education before the fall semester 1997.
  2. At the time he or she earns a first undergraduate degree, the student must have attempted no more than three semester hours beyond the minimum number of hours required for the degree. Hours attempted include all courses the student has undertaken, such as transfer credit, courses the student dropped or from which the student withdrew after the date the official enrollment count was taken, developmental courses taken for credit, optional internship and cooperative education courses, courses the student failed, and courses the student repeated. If the student has earned credit by examination for more than nine hours of coursework, the hours in excess of nine are also counted as hours attempted. Courses dropped for reasons that are determined by the institution to be totally beyond the control of the student shall not be counted.
  3. The student must have attempted all coursework at a Texas public institution of higher education.
  4. The student must have been a Texas resident and must have been eligible to pay resident tuition at all times while pursuing the degree.
  5. If the student received a bachelor's degree in architecture, engineering, or any other program that is determined by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to require more than four years to complete, then the student must have graduated within five calendar years after first enrolling in a Texas public senior college or university. If the student's degree is in a field other than those that have been determined to take more than four years to complete, he or she must graduate within four calendar years after that first enrollment.
          Requirement 5 applies only to students who enrolled in a public Texas senior college or university for the first time on or after September 1, 2005.
          A student who was unable to meet requirement 5 because of a hardship may seek an exception to this requirement from his or her dean.

An eligible student should submit a request for a rebate in the dean's office when the student files an application for graduation; the request must be submitted before the official date of graduation. If the student's request for a rebate is denied, he or she may appeal to the provost. The rebate may be reduced by the amount of any outstanding student loan owed to or guaranteed by the State of Texas.

Tuition rebate policies are governed by section 54.0065 of the Texas Education Code and by the rules of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. More information about tuition rebates is published by the Coordinating Board.

to top »

Short-Term Loans

The University provides short-term emergency and tuition loans to students. Emergency loans are cash loans, normally for one month, and are designed to be repaid in full on or before the due date. Tuition loans, which have a one- to three-month repayment period, must be applied to a student's fee bill. Any subsequent refund of tuition and/or fees must be applied to an emergency or tuition loan, regardless of the due date of the loan.

Payment of Fees for Students with Disabilities

The Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS) offers payment of tuition and other fees and services to students (normally nonveterans) who have certain disabilities if the student's vocational objective is approved by a representative of the agency. Application for vocational rehabilitation should be made to DARS, Office of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services.

to top »

Optional Fees

Students may select the following optional fees when they register. Those who select an optional fee for the fall semester pay the academic year rate. The spring semester rate is available only during the spring semester.

The Analecta fee of $10 entitles the student to a copy of the University's literary and arts journal, published annually by the Senate of College Councils and the journal's editorial and readers staff. Each issue includes works of fiction, nonfiction, drama, art, and poetry by students from the University as well as other universities worldwide. The year's issue is mailed to the student's permanent addresses upon publication.

The Cactus fee of $75 entitles the student to a copy of the University yearbook.

The Department of Theatre and Dance fee entitles the student to a specified number of tickets to major season productions at no additional cost as long as tickets are available. The fee is $30 for the academic year or $15 for the spring semester.

The Longhorn All-Sports Package allows a student to draw one ticket to regular-season home events for men and women in intercollegiate baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, track and field, and volleyball, and one discounted ticket to the Texas-Oklahoma football game. The fee is $70 for the academic year or $35 for the spring semester.

The Longhorn All-Sports Package for dependents is available only to the spouses and children of students, faculty members, and staff members who have paid the corresponding optional fee. The fee of $83 for the academic year or $41.50 for the spring semester allows the purchaser to draw one ticket to the events listed in the preceding paragraph.

A C or M parking permit purchased in the fall semester enables the student to park in any appropriately designated lot or area for the academic year; a permit purchased in the spring is valid through the summer session. The fees for a C (surface commuting student) permit are $110 for the academic year, $74 for the spring semester, and $28 for the summer session; the fees for an M (motorcycle/moped/motor scooter) permit are $66 for the academic year, $44 for the spring semester, and $16 for the summer session.

Only C and M permits may be purchased during registration. Information about other parking permits available to students is given in chapter 5, along with more information about C and M permits.

The Performing Arts Center/Tix for Six fee enables a student to purchase tickets for professional touring events presented by the Performing Arts Center at a price discounted 10 to 50 percent, as long as tickets are available. The fee is $30 for the academic year or $15 for the spring semester.

The Student Speaker Series fee of $2 a semester supports the Student Endowed Centennial Lectureship. The endowment is used to bring speakers to the University to lecture, teach, or meet with students.

Rules for Use of the ID card for Purchasers of the Longhorn All-Sports Package

Purchase of the Longhorn All-Sports Package implies agreement to abide by the following rules.

  1. The fee is valid only for the original purchaser and is nontransferable. Penalties for presentation of an ID by anyone other than the owner, or other misuse, are described in paragraphs 7 and 8 below. Other proof of identification may be required when the ID is presented.
  2. The identification card is void if mutilated or altered. A mutilated card may be replaced on return of remnants of the original card and payment of the appropriate replacement fee. A lost student, faculty, or staff card may be replaced upon payment of the appropriate fee. A lost dependent ID card indicating payment of the fee may not be replaced, but a second fee may be purchased upon signing an affidavit of loss.
  3. Purchase of the Longhorn All-Sports Package entitles the owner to the services described above. Purchasers of the optional dependent fee may participate in student drawings for event tickets. If an improper ticket is presented with an ID card, admission will be refused.
  4. Special admission rates may be available to fee purchasers for reserved seats. No guarantee is made as to the availability of such admissions.
  5. Admission will be granted only on presentation of the identification card and event ticket or, where appropriate, the identification card only.
  6. The fee is valid throughout the long session for which it was purchased. A refund is available only on termination of enrollment or employment with the University or, in the case of the dependent fee, the termination of enrollment or employment with the University by the owner's spouse or parent. All refunds will be prorated based upon the face value of tickets already drawn.
  7. Presentation of an identification card by anyone other than the owner, or other misuse, may result in confiscation and forfeiture of fee privileges.
  8. Fraudulent use of an identification card may result in disciplinary action or prosecution of the guilty parties.
  9. The replacement fee for an identification card that has been confiscated because of misuse is $10.00 plus the amount of the original fee, or $10.00 if the owner surrenders the right to fee privileges.
  10. The replacement fee for an identification card that has been confiscated because of misuse is $10.00 if the identification card did not reflect payment of the optional fee.
to top »

Student Insurance

Student Health Insurance Program. The Student Health Insurance Program is an optional low-cost health insurance plan available to currently enrolled University students who are not covered through other insurance programs. The plan is fully insured and underwritten by the MEGA Life and Health Insurance Company. Information is available at (512) 471-1040 and from a representative of MEGA in the Cashier/Insurance Office at University Health Services. Additional information about the Student Health Insurance Program is published by Student Resources.

International student health insurance. The Student Health Insurance Program described above is mandatory for international students; the cost is included in the student's fee bill each semester. Additional information about international student health insurance is given in chapter 5.

Student liability insurance. Students must show evidence of student liability insurance when enrolled in field experience courses that use off-campus facilities, if such facilities require the insurance.

to top »

Identification Cards

Student identification cards. Every student is required to have a University identification card. The card may be obtained after the student's first registration. Identification cards remain the property of the University and must be surrendered to any authorized University official as requested or when the student withdraws from the University. An ID card is required for many purposes, including use of the libraries and University Health Services; it may be used to draw tickets for or to be admitted to intercollegiate athletic events as well as other events.

The identification card is intended to be used throughout a student's enrollment at the University and is not reissued unless changes in data are required or the card is lost or stolen. A $10.00 fee is charged for each identification card, original or replacement. Lost or stolen cards should be reported to the ID Center at (512) 471-4334; found cards should be returned to the ID Center, Flawn Academic Center 102.

The ID card should not be loaned to others, and its benefits are not transferable. Those who lend the card or use it for fraudulent purposes are subject to disciplinary action.

Faculty/staff identification cards. An ID card is also available to qualified faculty and staff members. The rules for use and most procedures are the same as for the student ID card; holders of faculty/staff ID cards should check with the ID Center for additional regulations. Cards must be returned to the ID Center upon termination of employment.

to top »

Fees for Nonstudents

Auditor's fee. A fee of $20.00 a course is required of individuals not registered at the University who wish to audit one or more courses. In accordance with section 54.210 of the Texas Education Code, a person sixty-five years of age or older may audit a course without paying the fee if space is available. More information about auditing a course is given earlier in this chapter.

Library card fee for non-University borrowers. Libraries are open to the public for use of materials. Adult Texas residents who are not members of the University community may borrow materials for home use by purchasing a Courtesy Borrower Card. More information about the Courtesy Borrower Card is given in chapter 6.

Recreational and facility use fees. Recreational Sports memberships, which allow access to University recreational facilities, are available to current faculty and staff members and to the spouses or adult exercise partners and dependent children of currently enrolled students and current faculty and staff members. Recreational facilities consist of Gregory Gymnasium, the Gregory Gymnasium Aquatic Complex, the Recreational Sports Center, the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center, Anna Hiss Gymnasium, Bellmont Hall, the Commons Recreational Area at Pickle Research Campus, the Penick-Allison Tennis Center, Clark Field and Clark Field Basketball Courts, and Whitaker Fields and Tennis Courts. Below are RecSports membership fees. Applications are available from the Division of Recreational Sports Membership and Guest Services Office, Gregory Gymnasium 2.202. A $15 replacement fee is charged for lost RecSports identification cards.

Member Annual Fee
Semester or
Summer Session
Fee [4]
University Personnel
  Faculty/Staff member $297.00 $139.00
  Locker, primary facility [5] 75.00 30.00
  Locker, secondary facility [5] 38.00 15.00
  Faculty/Staff retired 149.00 69.00
  Faculty/Staff spouse 223.00 104.00
  Faculty/Staff spouse only 297.00 139.00
  Faculty/Staff senior child [6] 223.00 104.00
  Faculty/Staff child [7] 89.00 42.00
  Pickle Research Campus Faculty/Staff member [8] 89.00 42.00
  Pickle Research Campus Faculty/Staff spouse only [8] 89.00 42.00
  Student spouse Not available 74.00
  Student senior child [6] Not available 74.00
  Student child [7] Not available 30.00
Associate member/Spouse $440.00 $200.00
Member guest pass $8.00/day $8.00/day
Official visitor [9] Fee varies Fee varies
to top »
General Information | 2006-2007 page 6 of 7 in Chapter 3
« prev | next »
Registration, fees, and deposits Office of the Registrar University of Texas at Austin copyright 2006
Official Publications 15 Aug 2006