Academic policies Office of the Registrar University of Texas at Austin
Official Publications Admissions Current Students UT EID
General Information | 2006-2007 page 11 of 12 in Chapter 4
« prev | next »

Teacher Certification

The University conducts a large, field-based educator preparation program leading to certification for future teachers, administrators, and educational support personnel. This program is evaluated each year by the State of Texas and by the federal government. The results of these evaluations attest to the high quality of educator preparation at the University. For the academic year 2004-2005, 1,158 students were enrolled in the professional development sequence of courses in the teacher certification programs. Teacher preparation required an extensive supervised practice teaching experience, averaging forty hours per week for at least one semester, for 480 students. These students were supervised by 87 faculty members, yielding a student:faculty ratio of 6:1 during this intensive field experience. Of the 488 University students who took an educator certification exam in 2004-2005, 97 percent passed. This passing rate ranks in the highest quartile for all educator certification programs in Texas; the statewide average pass rate was 87 percent. Based on certification exam pass rates for all applicant demographic groups, the Texas State Board for Educator Certification rated the University educator preparation program "accredited," its highest rating.

The University recommends students for teacher certification to the State Board for Educator Certification. To be recommended for a certificate to teach in elementary, middle, or high school, an undergraduate student must earn a degree as well as complete an approved teacher certification program. Students complete the following requirements for approved programs in conjunction with degree requirements:

  1. Enrollment. Students seeking certification to teach at the elementary school level (early childhood through grade 4) must register in the College of Education and major in applied learning and development, an interdisciplinary program.
          Students seeking middle grades (grades 4 through 8), high school (grades 8 through 12), or all-level (early childhood through grade 12) certification must earn a degree from the college or school that houses the academic program in their prospective teaching field. Students should be advised by both an adviser in their academic department and a teacher certification adviser to confirm that the courses for which they register are applicable to their certification program.
          Students who are seeking teacher certification should select from the following options:
    1. Early childhood through grade 4: Generalist or bilingual generalist
    2. Grades 4 through 8: Math, science, English/language arts/reading, or social studies
    3. Grades 8 through 12: Math, science, computer science, English/ language arts/reading, history, social studies
    4. All-level: Special education, art, music, theatre, kinesiology, languages other than English
    Grades 4 through 8, 8 through 12, and all-level certification require an academic major in the subject to be taught.
  2. Admission to the Professional Development Sequence. All students seeking teacher certification must complete a sequence of professional development courses. Admission to the professional development sequence is restricted, and students must apply for admission to it. Academic performance, completion of prerequisite courses, documented evidence of proficiency in reading and in oral and written communication, and the number of hours needed to complete the program may be factors in the admission decision.
          For students seeking early childhood through grade four or all-level generic special education certification, admission to the professional development sequence requires a University grade point average of at least 2.50 and a grade of at least C in each prerequisite course and in each course in the major. To progress within the sequence, the student must maintain a University grade point average of at least 2.50 and must earn a grade of at least C in each course in the sequence. In addition, when they enter the professional development sequence, students seeking early childhood through grade four and all-level generic special education certification may lack no more than twelve semester hours of coursework outside the sequence. Additional information about these requirements is available in the Office of the Dean, College of Education.
          For students in other teacher certification programs, requirements for admission to and continuation in the professional development sequence are set by the college in which the student majors.
  3. Certification exam. An individual seeking certification is required to achieve a satisfactory level of performance on the appropriate Texas Examinations of Educator Standards to be approved for initial or additional certification. Students who do not apply for their teaching certificate within one year of completing apprentice teaching may be required to complete additional fieldwork hours and coursework before applying for the certificate.
  4. Legal questions. In accordance with state law, the commissioner of education may suspend or revoke a teaching certificate or refuse to issue a teaching certificate for a person who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor for a crime that directly relates to the duties and responsibilities of the teaching profession. Information about other legal issues is available from the teacher certification officer, George I. Sánchez Building 216, (512) 471-3223.

For students who hold a bachelor's degree, separate programs are available that lead to teacher certification at all levels. The requirements of these postbaccalaureate programs may be different from those of the undergraduate certification programs.

For more information about teacher certification programs, students should see a certification adviser in the dean's office of the College of Education, George I. Sánchez Building 216.

to top »

Placement Services

Placement services at the University are provided by the individual colleges and schools; in addition, a number of departments have placement advisers or offices. Many of these placement services are described in the Undergraduate Catalog; more information is available in the deans' offices and on the college and school Web sites.


With proper identification, a student may purchase an official transcript in person, by mail, by telephone, or online for $10 a copy. The transcript includes only the academic record accumulated at the University of Texas at Austin. Unofficial copies of transcripts from other institutions are furnished by the registrar in accordance with the Texas Open Records Act, for a fee of $10. A transcript is a comprehensive record of an individual's academic progress at the University; it contains all the significant facts about a student's admission, academic level, and scholarship. No partial or incomplete record (such as a record with grades of F omitted) will be issued. A student who owes a debt to the University may not be able to obtain an official transcript until the debt is paid. Additional information about requesting a transcript is published by the registrar's office.

Texas law provides criminal penalties for forgery of a transcript or similar document.

to top »


University diplomas display the student's legal name, graduation date, and degree, along with the name and seal of the institution and the signatures of University and University of Texas System officials. If the student has graduated with University honors, this accomplishment is indicated. The diploma shows the title of the degree the student has earned, such as Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, or Doctor of Philosophy; it does not include the student's major(s).

Diplomas are mailed about six weeks after the student's graduation.

A graduate may purchase a replacement diploma if the original has been lost or destroyed. If purchased more than one year after the original diploma was issued, the replacement will bear the reissue date below the date the degree was awarded. The signatures of University and University of Texas System officials may not be the same as those on the original diploma, since the signatures of former officials are not maintained on file. Additional copies of an original diploma also may be purchased at the time of issue. Orders should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar with a $10 fee for each diploma.

A student who requests a new diploma based on a change of name must pay the replacement fee, unless the name change was submitted by the deadline set by the registrar or a postponement of the deadline was granted.

to top »

Personal Record Information

Name change. The University maintains educational records under the student's full, legal name. Official documents such as diplomas and transcripts will not be issued bearing any other name.

A currently enrolled student may change the name on his or her permanent academic record by presenting a certified copy of the appropriate documentation to the registrar. To correct the spelling or the proper sequence of the name requires a copy of the student's birth certificate. To change the name, the student must present a notarized request and a copy of the signed court order showing the new legal name. To assume the spouse's name following marriage, a student must present a notarized request and a copy of the marriage certificate. A student who wishes to discontinue use of the married name and resume use of the original family name, or another name, must present a divorce decree or signed court order showing restoration of the original, or other, name.

The University maintains student records under the name the student had when last enrolled. A former student may not change the name on his or her permanent academic record except by presenting a notarized request and a certified copy of the signed court order showing the authorized name change.

Change of address, telephone number, or e-mail address. The student must give correct local and permanent postal addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail address to the Office of the Registrar and to the office(s) of the student's dean(s) and must notify these offices immediately of any changes. Official correspondence is sent to the postal or e-mail address last given to the registrar; if the student has failed to correct this address, he or she will not be relieved of responsibility on the grounds that the correspondence was not delivered.

to top »

Summons to Administrative Offices

A summons to the office of any administrative officer must be observed. Failure to respond to a summons may result in suspension from the University. A summons to the dean may be sent by post or by e-mail, so it is important that the student keep both the dean and the registrar informed of all current addresses.

Official Communications with the University

Students are expected to attend to business matters with the University during regular working hours, Monday through Friday. A student who is unable to conduct business personally should contact the appropriate office by mail or telephone. For purposes of proper identification and clarity, written communications should include the student's name, public user name (UT EID), and local address (if applicable).

Electronic mail, like postal mail, is a mechanism for official University communication to students. Policies on the use of e-mail for official communication are given in Appendix M.

to top »
General Information | 2006-2007 page 11 of 12 in Chapter 4
« prev | next »
Academic policies Office of the Registrar University of Texas at Austin copyright 2006
Official Publications 15 Aug 2006