UT Austin
General Info


The University


Registration, Fees, and Deposits

Academic Policies and Procedures

Student Affairs

Libraries and Other Academic Resources

Ex-Students' Association




 Chapter 2

Transfer Admission

Admission standards. An applicant who is not eligible to continue at another institution for academic or disciplinary reasons is not eligible for admission to the University of Texas at Austin.

All transfer applications will be reviewed and evaluated by the Office of Admissions. Admission decisions will be based on the strength of an applicant's academic background, including the degree of difficulty of courses selected, the record of achievement, and special or unique accomplishments both in and out of the classroom. Decisions will take into consideration the University's commitments to managing enrollment and, within applicable law, to admitting qualified students that reflect the diversity of the state. As a state-supported public institution, the University reserves a majority of its places for Texas residents. Consequently, the admission of nonresidents is more competitive. In those schools and colleges unable to accommodate all qualified applicants, preference will be given to applicants considered to have the best qualifications.

Application procedures. Prospective transfer students must submit (1) an application for admission; (2) an official transcript from each accredited college or junior college attended; (3) the application fee or fee waiver documentation; and (4) an official high school transcript. The high school transcript is not used to determine admissibility, but is necessary to verify completion of units in language and mathematics to satisfy University requirements. In addition, federal regulations require evidence of completion of a high school or GED program before registering at the University. Transfer applicants are strongly encouraged to submit the high school transcript with other admission credentials prior to the established deadline.

An applicant, whether a new or former student, who has attended another collegiate institution may not disregard any part of his or her academic record except as permitted under the "fresh start" option described here. Applicants who fail to report all college coursework are subject to disciplinary action, including expulsion, and possible loss of credit for subsequent work taken at the University.

Application materials must be received by the Office of Admissions by the deadline for transfer students given.

Credit evaluation. Evaluation by the Office of Admissions of course credit earned at other institutions does not constitute approval of the credit for use toward a degree; such approval is solely within the jurisdiction of a student's academic dean. Policies governing the evaluation of transfer credit include the following:

  1. Transfer credit is generally awarded for academic course credit earned from regionally accredited institutions, or from institutions that are candidates for regional accreditation if the course credit was earned during the candidacy period. At the discretion of the director of admissions, in rare circumstances course credit earned at other institutions may also be accepted in transfer.

  2. Occupational or vocational courses from junior and community colleges, developmental or remedial courses, and courses classified as below freshman level by the sending institution are not transferable and will not count toward a degree.

  3. Junior and community college courses transfer as lower-division (freshman or sophomore) credit. Undergraduate courses from senior colleges transfer at the same level, lower- or upper-division, as they were taken. Graduate-level coursework is not transferable as undergraduate credit.

  4. No limit is placed on the total amount of course credit accepted in transfer from either junior or senior institutions. However, use of transfer credit toward a degree may be limited by the student's academic dean.

  5. Credit-by-examination earned at other institutions is treated as transfer credit only if the sending institution posts such credit on the student's transcript with regular catalog course numbers and with a grade of at least C, with the symbol CR, or with a similar designation representing credit earned without letter grade.

  6. All academic courses except developmental courses, whether passed, failed, or repeated, including those in which a grade of D was earned, are used to compute the applicant's grade point average for admission purposes. Credit in which a grade of D was earned is not transferable and will not count toward a degree.

  7. Grades earned at other institutions are not averaged with grades earned at the University of Texas at Austin to determine the student's internal University grade point average.

  8. Transfer credit evaluations.

    1. University course numbers may be modified in transfer credit evaluations to reflect more or less credit value than is normally offered in a course at the University. For example, Mathematics 301, a three-semester-hour course, is rendered as Mathematics 401 when taken as a four-semester-hour course at another institution, thereby allowing the full amount of earned credit to transfer.

      Course numbers may also be modified to accommodate sequences not normally offered at the University. For example, Mathematics 301 may be rendered as Mathematics 601A and Mathematics 601B when comparable content is taken as two three-semester-hour courses at another institution, the "A" and "B" suffixes each denoting half of the complete course Mathematics 601.

    2. Course numbers not in the current Undergraduate Catalog may be used in awarding transfer credit. For example, Computer Sciences 301, English 307, English 308, English 308Q, English 310, English 310Q, English 317, English 317M, and Mathematics 304E are no longer taught at the University, yet are routinely assigned in transfer evaluations because their equivalents are still commonly taught at other institutions and because they may be used to satisfy degree requirements.

    3. Courses at other institutions often have no direct University equivalents, but may be accepted in transfer. If such a course is in a discipline offered at the University, credit without a specific course number is awarded in the appropriate academic department. General elective credit may be awarded when no equivalent department exists at the University; use of elective credit toward a degree may be restricted by the student's academic dean.

    4. In some academic departments transfer credit is not assigned specific University course numbers, for example in upper-division journalism and in all electrical engineering courses. Undesignated credit is assigned and the student's academic dean determines the specific credit to be allowed for degree purposes on a substitution basis.

    5. Transferred credit in music performance may not be counted toward a degree in music until the student has satisfactorily completed additional music performance coursework at the University.

  9. If the University refuses to accept lower-division credit earned at another Texas public institution of higher education, the student and the sending institution will be given written notice that transfer credit was refused. If nontransfer of credit is disputed, the University will attempt to resolve the matter with the student and the sending institution according to applicable rules and guidelines of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. If the dispute is not resolved to the student's or the sending institution's satisfaction within forty-five days of the initial notification, the University will notify the Coordinating Board of the refusal of the transfer credit and the reasons for refusal. The Coordinating Board will resolve the dispute and notify the parties of its findings.

Catalog eligibility for Texas junior college transfers. A student transferring from an accredited public junior college in Texas has the same choice of catalog, designating degree requirements, that would have been possible if the student's dates of attendance at the University had been the same as the dates of attendance at the junior college. However, the student's choice of major may affect whether or not transferable coursework may be counted toward a degree.

Transient Admission (Summer Only)

Undergraduate students who are pursuing degrees at other colleges and universities during the long session and wish to continue their studies at the University during the summer only may be admitted to some undergraduate programs as transient students. A transient student who wishes to be admitted to the University on a regular basis must apply for admission in accordance with the procedures and deadlines governing transfer admission.

A transient student may not register in the Graduate School but may take graduate courses if qualified. If regular admission to the University is subsequently granted, appropriate credits earned as a transient student may be used to meet undergraduate degree requirements, but may not be used to fulfill the requirements for a graduate degree.

Students who attend the University as transient students and then are admitted on a regular basis are immediately subject to the University's academic regulations. In particular, such students will be placed on scholastic probation upon enrollment if their grade point average for work undertaken as a transient student at the University is below 2.00.

Top of File   Chapter 2

Contents  |  Next File  |  Previous File

General Information catalog

Contents  |  Chapter 1  |  Chapter 2  |  Chapter 3
Chapter 4  |  Chapter 5  |  Chapter 6  |  Chapter 7
Appendixes  |  Statistical Summaries

Related information

Catalogs  |  Course Schedules  |  Academic Calendars
Office of Admissions

Office of the Registrar
University of Texas at Austin

1 August 1998. Registrar's Web Team
Comments to rgcat@utxdp.dp.utexas.edu