UT Austin
General Info


The University


Registration, Fees, and Deposits

Academic Policies and Procedures

Student Affairs

Libraries and Other Academic Resources

Ex-Students' Association




 Chapter 4
 Academic Policies and Procedures

Teacher Certification

Students who complete teacher certification programs must meet the requirements enacted by the Seventieth Legislature and recorded in chapter 21 of the Texas Education Code.

To be recommended for a certificate to teach in elementary or secondary schools, an undergraduate student must earn a degree as well as complete an approved teacher certification program. The following requirements for approved programs are to be completed in conjunction with degree requirements:

  1. Enrollment. Students seeking secondary certification must earn a degree from the college or school that houses the academic program in their prospective teaching field. Students should be advised by the teacher preparation adviser in their academic department and should confirm that the courses for which they register are applicable to their certification program. Students seeking certification to teach at the elementary school level must register in the College of Education and major in an interdisciplinary program, Applied Learning and Development.

  2. Admission to the professional sequence. Approval of a formal application, due by a specific deadline, is required before a student may take professional education courses. Admission requirements include the completion of seventy-two semester hours of college credit including certain prerequisite courses, a University grade point average of at least 2.50 and a cumulative grade point average on work taken at other institutions of at least 2.50, a passing score on the Texas Academic Skills Program (TASP) Test (unless exempt on the basis of SAT, ACT, or TAAS Test scores), and the submission of a complete application, including an essay. Applicants with a University grade point average of 3.00 or higher receive priority in selection.

  3. Exit test. An individual seeking certification, including one who holds a valid out-of-state certificate, is required to achieve a satisfactory level of performance on the Examination for the Certification of Educators in Texas (ExCET) to be approved for the provisional or professional teacher's certificate, for additional teaching fields or areas of specialization, or for endorsements.

  4. Legal questions. In accordance with article 6252-13c, Texas Civil Statutes, the commissioner of education may suspend or revoke a teaching certificate, or refuse to issue a teaching certificate for a person who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor for a crime that directly relates to the duties and responsibilities of the teaching profession. Information about other legal questions and about approved programs in teacher certification may be obtained from the teacher certification officer, George I. Sanchez Building 216, (512) 471-3223.

Placement Services

There is no centralized placement service at the University, but placement offices have been established in the Colleges of Business Administration, Communication, Education, Engineering, Liberal Arts, Natural Sciences, and Pharmacy; the Departments of Chemistry and Biochemistry and Geological Sciences; the Schools of Architecture, Law, and Social Work; the Graduate School of Library and Information Science; and the Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs. The College of Fine Arts provides career services through the Office of the Dean; the School of Nursing, through the Student Affairs Office. In addition, a number of departments have placement advisers.


With proper identification, a student may purchase an official transcript in person or by mail for $5 a copy. A transcript may be ordered by telephone, provided the caller's identification can be established, for $10 a copy. The transcript includes only the academic record accumulated at the University of Texas at Austin. Unofficial copies of transcripts from other institutions are furnished by the registrar in accordance with the Texas Open Records Act, for a fee of $5. A transcript is a comprehensive record of an individual's academic progress at the University; it contains all the significant facts about a student's admission, academic level, and scholarship. No partial or incomplete record (e.g., with grades of F omitted) will be issued. A student who owes a debt to the University may not be able to obtain an official transcript until the debt is paid.

Texas law provides criminal penalties for forgery of a transcript or similar document.


A graduate of the University may purchase a diploma to replace one that has been lost or destroyed. If purchased more than one year after the original diploma was issued, the replacement will bear the reissue date below the date the degree was awarded. The signatures of University and University of Texas System officials may not be the same as those on the original diploma since the signatures of former officials are not maintained on file. Additional copies of an original diploma also may be purchased at the time of issue. Orders should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar with a $10 fee for each diploma.

A student who requests a new diploma based on a change of name must pay the fee unless the name change was submitted by the deadline set by the registrar or a postponement of the deadline was granted.

Personal Record Information

Name change. University policy is to maintain educational records under the student's full, legal name. Official documents such as diplomas and transcripts will not be issued bearing any other name.

A currently enrolled student may change the name on his or her permanent academic record by presenting a certified copy of the appropriate documentation to the registrar. To correct the spelling or the proper sequence of the name requires a copy of the student's birth certificate. To change the name, the student must present a notarized request and a copy of the signed court order showing the new legal name. To assume the spouse's name following marriage, a student must present a notarized request and a copy of the marriage certificate. A student who wishes to discontinue use of the married name and resume use of the original family name, or another name, must present a divorce decree or signed court order showing restoration of the original, or other, name.

The University maintains student records under the name the student had when last enrolled. A former student may not change the name on his or her permanent academic record except by presenting a notarized request and a certified copy of the signed court order showing the authorized name change.

Change of address and/or telephone. The student must give correct local and permanent addresses and telephone numbers to the Office of the Registrar and to the office of the student's dean and must notify these offices immediately of any changes in address or telephone number. Official correspondence is sent to the address last given to the registrar; if the student has moved and failed to correct this address, he or she will not be relieved of responsibility on the grounds that the correspondence was not delivered.

Summons to Administrative Offices

A summons to the office of any administrative officer must be observed. Failure to respond to a summons may result in suspension from the University. In most colleges and schools a summons to the dean is sent by mail, so it is important that the student keep both the dean and the registrar informed of current address information.

Official Communications with the University

Students are expected to attend to business matters with the University during regular working hours, Monday through Friday. A student who is unable to conduct business personally should contact the appropriate office by mail or telephone. For purposes of proper identification and clarity, written communications should include the student's name, social security number, and local address (if applicable).

Top of File   Chapter 4

Contents  |  Previous File

General Information catalog

Contents  |  Chapter 1  |  Chapter 2  |  Chapter 3
Chapter 4  |  Chapter 5  |  Chapter 6  |  Chapter 7
Appendixes  |  Statistical Summaries

Related information

Catalogs  |  Course Schedules  |  Academic Calendars
Office of Admissions

Office of the Registrar
University of Texas at Austin

1 August 1998. Registrar's Web Team
Comments to rgcat@utxdp.dp.utexas.edu