UT Austin
General Info


The University


Registration, Fees, and Deposits

Academic Policies and Procedures

Student Affairs

Libraries and Other Academic Resources

Ex-Students' Association




 Chapter 5
 Student Affairs

The Texas Union

Recognizing that students learn from one another and from others in associations outside the formal curriculum, the Texas Union serves the University as a community center, providing facilities, services, and programs for students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends of the University.

Major objectives of the Union include offering programs for intellectual, cultural, social, and recreational development, coordinating beneficial cocurricular activities, promoting genuine democracy, cultivating responsible citizenship, and facilitating an intelligent interest in and deeper affection for the University of Texas at Austin. Serving as a laboratory for student leadership experience, self-expression, and management, the Union contributes to the development of effective leaders for future responsibilities in community, civic, state, and national affairs.

The Board of Directors recommends policy for the Texas Union. The voting membership of the board includes six students and three faculty members. The Texas Union Council coordinator, the director of the Texas Union, and the vice president for student affairs, or the vice president's delegate, serve as ex officio members without vote.

International Office

The International Office coordinates and administers programs that serve international students, faculty, staff, and visitors to the University community, as well as University students going abroad. The office is located at 105 West Dean Keeton Street and is open 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. The telephone number is 471-1211.

International Students

Advisers who are aware of the demands associated with studying in another country are available to assist international students with academic matters not specifically within the province of the student's academic adviser, as well as to answer questions concerning cross-cultural adjustment, orientation to the University, immigration status, financial aid, health insurance, housing, legal questions, employment, income tax status, social security regulations, and personal problems or concerns. The International Office serves in loco parentis in case of an emergency involving an international student or the student's family.

Sponsored Student Program. Students and sponsors of international students are provided advisers, special financial arrangements, required certifications, assistance with admission, and supervision while in academic status and under sponsorship. The office also provides reports to sponsors.

Irregular student status and withdrawal petition. International students seeking irregular status (less than twelve hours for an undergraduate student and less than nine hours for a graduate student) are referred to the International Office in accordance with immigration regulations. Withdrawal petitions for international students are referred to the International Office before final action is taken by the appropriate academic dean's office.

Special programs. The office administers special contract programs consistent with the academic objectives of the University and handles special arrangements for groups, including visiting representatives of other nations.

Mandatory health insurance. The Student Health Insurance Program is mandatory for international students and the cost is added automatically to the student's fee bill each semester. A student who has an acceptable level of coverage under a mandatory employee insurance plan, including University employee insurance, or a mandatory government-sponsored plan, may request a waiver of the fee at the time of registration or a refund prior to the last class day each semester. The minimum acceptable level of coverage is $50,000 per accident or illness, $10,000 for medical evacuation to the home country, and $7,500 for repatriation. Waivers must be requested at the International Office. Dependents in J-2 (exchange visitor) status are also required to have an acceptable level of coverage. Coverage for dependents may be arranged through the International Office.

English as a second language services. English classes for nonnative speakers are available through ESL Services in the International Office. ESL Oral Communication and ESL Academic Writing are courses available to graduate students. These courses do not carry University of Texas credit, but each is considered the equivalent of a three-hour course for purposes of fulfilling the full course of study requirement.

ESL Services also offers two intensive English programs. Prospective students, visiting scholars, and family members of international students and visiting scholars may enroll. The Academic English Program (AEP) is a full-time academic program for prospective graduate students who have completed their first university degree and plan to pursue a master's or doctoral degree in the United States. English proficiency at the intermediate level or above is required for admission to the program. The English Language Program (ELP) provides both full-time and part-time instruction in general-purpose English for students at all levels of English proficiency, including prospective undergraduates and those interested in improving their communication skills. Both programs offer optional test preparation instruction for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and other admission tests.

Study Abroad

Information about educational opportunities in other countries is available at the Study Abroad Office located at 105 West Dean Keeton. Information sessions are offered daily for most of the academic year; students are required to attend a session before seeking staff assistance in selecting the program most appropriate to their individual needs and interests. The sessions include University policies governing study abroad, program options, funding sources, and application and selection procedures. Information is also disseminated through publications, special events, group meetings, individual appointments, reference materials, and through the Web site http://www.utexas.edu/student/abroad.

University programs available to students include reciprocal exchanges with foreign universities, affiliated studies through consortial agreements, and faculty-led programs.

Exchange programs. Students in exchange programs register for a block of coursework in study abroad (SAB). Faculty in the appropriate academic departments review the student's work to determine equivalent University courses and assign grades based on evaluation from the host institution. Courses and grades are recorded as resident credit. Students are assessed the normal tuition and fees according to the number of semester credit hours undertaken plus a study abroad fee of $5 per semester credit hour.

Affiliated studies. Students participating in study abroad programs offered by organizations and institutions with which the University has an affiliation agreement and students engaged in independent study or research who have been awarded a University-approved scholarship, fellowship, or grant may register for affiliated studies (A S). Students enrolled in affiliated studies are considered full-time students. A fee of $60 is assessed students registering for affiliated studies.

Faculty-led programs. Academic units may offer courses taught abroad as a part of their regular curriculum. Students registering in these courses follow normal registration procedures and are assessed tuition and fees according to the number of semester credit hours undertaken. Additional fees are charged to cover program costs.

Financial assistance. Advisers verify budgets for students awarded funding through the Office of Student Financial Services. Information about other awards for study abroad is available in the Study Abroad Office. The Study Abroad Office administers the campus competition for a number of grants, including the Institute ofInternational Education (IIE) Fulbright grants, the National Security Education Program (NSEP) grants, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) grants, regional IIE awards, the Chancellor's Scholarship (Alexander von Humboldt Foundation), and the University's International Education Fee Scholarships (IEFS).

Top of File   Chapter 5

Contents  |  Next File  |  Previous File

General Information catalog

Contents  |  Chapter 1  |  Chapter 2  |  Chapter 3
Chapter 4  |  Chapter 5  |  Chapter 6  |  Chapter 7
Appendixes  |  Statistical Summaries

Related information

Catalogs  |  Course Schedules  |  Academic Calendars
Office of Admissions

Office of the Registrar
University of Texas at Austin

29 July 1999. Registrar's Web Team
Comments to rgcat@utxdp.dp.utexas.edu