The images here are carved masks that represent the Greek god Pan. The
masks decorate the east exterior of Hogg Memorial Auditorium, built in 1933 and named
in honor of Texas governor James S. Hogg. Motifs from classical mythology like these
appear on many of the Spanish Renaissance-style buildings on the University's original
forty-acre campus. The background photograph is of limestone, which is indigenous to the
Austin area and has been used in the construction of many University buildings.