Glen Evans:
The Compleat Naturalist
| Archeology | Geology | Paleontology | Natural History | Home |
| Blackwater Draw | Fort St. Louis | Kincaid Shelter | Plainview | Malakoff Heads |

FORT ST. LOUIS

Glen Evans excavated the site of Fort St. Louis in 1950 with a team from the Museum.  Their work was an effort to show that this site on Garcia Creek was the original location of La Salle's colony. 

It was not until the current excavation artifacts that were definitively of French origin were actually found. However, before that most recent excavation began, the archeologists tapped Glenís knowledge of the site.

Artifacts found at the original excavation

Musket balls

Item: 41VT4 (TMM 1044)
Objects: Musket balls
The lead shot was used in long-
barreled rifles.

Gunflint

Item: 41VT4 (TMM 1044)-4
Object: Gunflint
The gunflint was used in flintlock rifles 
to ignite the gunpowder

Copper kettle handle

Items: 41VT4 (TMM 1044)-26
Objects: Copper kettle handle


Copper kettle fragment

Items: 41VT4 (TMM 1044)-11
Objects: Fragment of the kettle

Majolica plate fragment

Items: 41VT4 (TMM 1044) -13
Object: Majolica pottery fragment


Clay pipe

Item: 41VT4 (TMM 1044)-4
Object: Clay pipe

Scissors

Item: 41VT4 (TMM 1044)-19
Object: Scissors


Slate with inscription and pencil (stylus)

Items: 41VT4 (TMM 1044)-5,-7
Objects: Slate with inscription
and slate pencil

Published document on Fort St. Louis

The site is also known as the Keeran site, after the owners of the land on which it was found.

 A report on the original work of the Museum was never published, but a later one was produced by the Texas Historical Commission-see below. 

 
All specimens are on loan from the Texas Archeological Research Lab of the University of Texas at Austin

 This site is currently being excavated by the Texas Historical Commission, and recent finds have been very exciting.  The story of the dig is recorded on a special web site:

More about Fort St. Louis

Gilmore, K., 1973, The Keeran Site: The probable Site of La Salle's Fort St. Louis in Texas, Texas Historical Commission, Office of the State Archeologist Reports, # 24