The University of Texas at Austin Texas Natural Science Center Non-vertebrate Paleontology Laboratory

Home-NPL | Home-TNSC

History

Collections

Historic

Most of the original specimens from the earliest collecting of Roemer were sent to Europe and can be studied in the museums of Bonn and Wroclaw. Casts of many of types within those specimens are available for study here.

The Dumble Collection: 
This collection is the oldest and includes specimens that were collected during the Third Geological Survey of Texas - The Dumble Survey. Many specimens are of Paleozoic age and were described by F. W. Cragin and illustrated by line drawings. Part of the Dumble collection went back to Warsaw with Roemer, paleontologist with the survey prior to Cragin. 

The Rio Bravo Collection:
After the Third Survey was disbanded, E.T. Dumble moved into industry, helping to develop the oil branch of the Southern Pacific Properties - The Rio Bravo Company. This collection stems from the research of that Company. It consists largely of Cretaceous and Tertiary fossils from Texas and Mexico. The specimens, about 4000 lots, were transferred to the BEG in 1931. [A lot number may refer to a single specimen or to numerous specimens from one locality]

The Galveston well Collection:
This was a continuous core 3000 ft in length from the deep-water well drilled for Galveston.  The preliminary report on the well was written by J.A. Singley. Fossils from this core were first discussed by E.T. Dumble and G. D. Harris in 1893.

The El Aguila Collection: 
Specimens from El Aguila (Compania Mexicana de Shell) were acquired by Adkins before the expropriation of 1936. Specimens are catalogued in both the Adkins and the UT collections.

The WPA-State Survey Collection: 
A significant terrestrial plant collection covering the Late Paleozoic of North-Central Texas, collected by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) Statewide Paleontologic and Mineralogic Survey, which was active from 1939 to 1942. These projects were also collecting vertebrate fossil specimens.

 

Exterior cleaning of Hogg enhances the frescoes
The collections moved into the Will C. Hogg Building, built in 1932 to house the Department of Geological Sciences.

Fresco featuring the geologist's mallet and hammer
Although this building is no longer the home of UTDGS, the beautiful relief sculptures on this building still advertise its original purpose.

Ammonoids were obviously considered important fossils!

 

Frequently used abbreviations: NPL  Non-vertebrate Paleontology Laboratory | TNSC Texas Natural Science Center | UTDGS Department of Geological Sciences | BEG  Bureau of Economic Geology | VPL Vertebrate Paleontology Laboratory | JSG  Jackson School of Geosciences | SUPPORT | VOLUNTEER | GLOSSARY


AboutNPL | History | Collections | Databases | Research | Projects | Exhibits | Links | SiteMap |


Education | Exhibits | Research and Collections
About TNSC | Visit TNSC's Texas Memorial Museum | Events | Membership | Support Us
Ask the Expert | Comment | Site Map | Web Privacy Policy | Web Accessibility | Last update: 06/28/13

 

Copyright ©1997–2013 Texas Natural Science Center, The University of Texas at Austin. All Rights Reserved.
2400 Trinity St Stop D1500, Austin, Texas 78712-1621 | Phone: 512-471-1604 | Fax: 512-471-4794