The University of Texas at Austin Texas Natural Science Center Non-vertebrate Paleontology Laboratory

Home-NPL | Home-TNSC

Geologists

Recent geologists

C. J. Durden
Ph.D. Yale University

Joined TMM in 1968 as Curator of entomology, geology, and paleobiology.

Consolidated TMM and BEG collections in 1974, UTDGS collections in 1984, and Type collection in 1994, moving all to the Pickle Research Campus (formerly Balcones Research Center).

Important contributions to our knowledge of insect extinction patterns in the Permian, and Eocene butterflies*.
Later work was focussed on recent butterflies.

*Durden, C.J., and H. Rose. 1978. Butterflies from the middle Eocene: the earliest occurrence of fossil Papilionidae (Lepidoptera). Pearce-Sellards Ser. Tex. Mem. Mus. 29: 1-25.
..................... 1982. The butterfly fauna of Barton Creek Canyon on the Balcones Fault Zone, Austin, Texas, and a regional list. Journal of the Lepidopterists' Society 36(1):1-17.
....................1990. Guide to butterflies of Austin. Texola 6:1-109.

 


C.J. Durden

Image from TNSC archives

Former location of the type collection
Little Campus an early home of the BEG collections in about 1928

Image from Ferguson, 1981, courtesy BEG


 

Frequently used abbreviations: NPL  Non-vertebrate Paleontology Laboratory | TNSC Texas Natural Science Center | UTDGS Department of Geological Sciences | BEG  Bureau of Economic Geology | VPL Vertebrate Paleontology Laboratory | JSG  Jackson School of Geosciences | SUPPORT | VOLUNTEER | GLOSSARY


AboutNPL | History | Collections | Databases | Research | Projects | Exhibits | Links | SiteMap |


Education | Exhibits | Research and Collections
About TNSC | Visit TNSC's Texas Memorial Museum | Events | Membership | Support Us
Ask the Expert | Comment | Site Map | Web Privacy Policy | Web Accessibility | Last update: 06/28/13

 

Copyright ©1997–2013 Texas Natural Science Center, The University of Texas at Austin. All Rights Reserved.
2400 Trinity St Stop D1500, Austin, Texas 78712-1621 | Phone: 512-471-1604 | Fax: 512-471-4794