The University of Texas at Austin Texas Natural Science Center Non-vertebrate Paleontology Laboratory

Home-NPL | Home-TNSC

Geologists

Great collectors

F.L. Whitney (1878-1962)
Ph.D. Cornell University

Joined UTDGS in 1909 where he started one of the first micropaleontology courses.

Whitney and his numerous students are responsible for many of the fossil specimens in the NPL collections.

He was instrumental in acquiring the remarkable Engerrand-Chantegrain European Tertiary mollusc collection.
This collection represents material from classic sites and had been initially purchased from Chantegrain by Engerrand, a professor at UT. Whitney realized the importance of the collection and raised funds to purchase the specimens from Engerrand.

NPL has recently acquired several additional specimens from F.L. Whitney via the estate of Marion Whitney.

Learn more about Whitney

 


F.L. Whitney
Francis Luther Whitney

Correct field gear- must be new to Texas!
Whitney at the Buda Limestone outcrop in Onion Creek

Whitney, third from right
Whitney and his students in the field in the summer of 1923.

Whitney supervised many female students
Whitney and his students in the field in the summer of 1943.

From Milliken, UTDGS Newsletter of 1994, all other images from UTDGS archives

 

Frequently used abbreviations: NPL  Non-vertebrate Paleontology Laboratory | TNSC Texas Natural Science Center | UTDGS Department of Geological Sciences | BEG  Bureau of Economic Geology | VPL Vertebrate Paleontology Laboratory | JSG  Jackson School of Geosciences | SUPPORT | VOLUNTEER | GLOSSARY


AboutNPL | History | Collections | Databases | Research | Projects | Exhibits | Links | SiteMap |


Education | Exhibits | Research and Collections
About TNSC | Visit TNSC's Texas Memorial Museum | Events | Membership | Support Us
Ask the Expert | Comment | Site Map | Web Privacy Policy | Web Accessibility | Last update: 06/28/13

 

Copyright ©1997–2013 Texas Natural Science Center, The University of Texas at Austin. All Rights Reserved.
2400 Trinity St Stop D1500, Austin, Texas 78712-1621 | Phone: 512-471-1604 | Fax: 512-471-4794