- Sea Shells of the Texas Coast (1971). Austin: University of Texas Press. Shell photos by Jean Bowers Gates.
- Shells and Shores of Texas. (1977). Austin: University of Texas Press. Foreword by William J. Clench.
- Texas Shells: A Field Guide (1981). Austin: University of Texas Press. Photos by Jean Bowers Gates.
- Peppers: the Domesticated Capsicums (1984, revised in 1995). Austin : University of Texas Press.
- The Texas Bluebonnet (1986, revised in 1993). Austin : University of Texas Press .
- An American Wildflower Florilegium (1992). Denton: University of North Texas Press.
- A Field Guide to Shells of the TexasCoast (1992). Houston: Gulf Publishing Company.
- Red Hot Peppers: A Cookbook for the Not-So-Faint of Heart (1993). New York : Macmillan Publishing Company .
- Field Guide to the Shells of the Florida Coast (1994 – Gulf Publishing Company, Houston.)
- The Pepper Lady's Pocket Pepper Primer (1998).
- The Pepper Trail: History & Recipes From Around the World. (1999 – Denton, TX)
[An anthropological and sociological study of the early spice trade and about the global progress of peppers through various cultures and cuisines, the book contains pepper recipes contributed by an impressive assortment of nationally known chefs. In 2000, it won the IACP Jane Grigson Award for Distinguished Scholarship. Together, The Pepper Trail and Peppers: the Domesticated Capsicums are commonly recognized as the ultimate source for pepper information.]