The Edwin T. Dumble Collection was made from 1890 to 1894, while Dumble was director of the Texas Geological Survey. Most of the specimens were collected by professors Edward D. Cope and William F. Cummins. They conducted the first systematic evaluation of fossils from the Texas Panhandle.
The collection includes specimens from the Triassic and Tertiary of the Texas Panhandle and Coastal Plain. Cope, a professor at the Philadelphia Academy of Sciences and one of the preeminent paleontologists of the century, published his studies of this collection in the annual reports of the Dumble Survey. Many of the specimens Cope described were returned to Austin and are now in the Vertebrate Paleontology Laboratory Collection.