Web Historical Disclaimer:
This is a historical page and is no longer maintained. Read our Web history statement for more information.
University of Texas Gets
New Skyscraper on Campus
|Austin, Tex.--Shooting skyward like a giant
beanstalk, the 300-foot tower of the new $3,000,000 administration-library building
University of Texas, will soon be open to the students at that institution, its faculty
members and the general public.
Its white native Texas stone makes it a conspicuous landmark in the capital city and its height makes it visible for many miles before any other features of the Austin skyline can be seen by approaching travelers.
Elevators will afford access to the peak of the tower, where a veteran university Greek professor, Dr. H. T. Battle, will sit in solitary splendor in his new office. For more than four decades, Dr. Battle was ensconed in the fourth-floor tower room of the old main building, torn down a few years ago to make room for the administration library structure. Sentimentally attached to his occupancy of the "highest" office on the campus, Dr. Battle was so reluctant to remove himself, his books and his classic statuary from the old building, that the university administration authorized the architects to build him an office on the top floor of the new tower, otherwise to be devoted to book stacks for the 500,000-item university library.
Above Dr. Battles's office will be the clock room, a promenade deck which gives almost the aspect of an aerial view to theremainder of the campus, and a carillon chamber from which the costly set of chimes will peal "The Eyes of Texas," official university song, and other selections.
Various university administrative offices, including the president's, the registrar's, the auditor's and several deans', will soon be installed in the new building. The general library is already housed in the portion of the building under the tower; and the unique Texas collection is operating in its own stack room, with adjacent reading room, beautiful with carved and stained ceiling and paneling.
A room has been build to the exact dimensions of the one in the old library building which formerly contained the rare Wrenn collection of English and American first editions. Paneled ceilings, gray-green velour drapes, walnut furniture and carved medallions of university seals have all been moved bodily and replaced in the Wren quarters in the new building.
Other suites of reading rooms, exhibit space and storage facilities have been prepared for the valuable Aitken collection, the newspaper library, which is the largest in the south, and other special groups of material.
It is expected that 10,000 students will enroll in the university next fall. The 1936-37 student body numbered 9,200.
Talco News. June, 25, 1937.
3 May 1999
Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Credits and Resources