Web Historical Disclaimer:

This is a historical page and is no longer maintained. Read our Web history statement for more information.

Old Building at Texas U. Will Be Razed

AUSTIN, Tex, Aug. 13 --

"Taps" was sounded the other day for the 50-year-old main building of the University of Texas. The ancient structure, familiar and ear to about 50,000 former students of the university, will make way for the new Main-Library unit which will cost approximately $2,000,000.

The passing of the landmark was attended by ceremonies when the board of regents removed the sealed box containing relics placed in the cornerstone when it was laid Nov. 17, 1882. That occasion was a gala one with Gov. O. M. Roberts the speaker.

When plans were announced for replacing the old building a protest came from many ex-students who revered the place. A movement now is on foot to preserve the tower as a memorial. The material that formed it was carefully marked when it was dismantled. It was estimated $30,000 would be required to reconstruct it. The Austin Chamber of Commerce has interested itself in the project and may undertake to raise the money.

The ivy that for nearly half a century covered the walls of the main building will be handed on to the new structures that have sprung up on the campus of the modern university. Cuttings were preserved in the university greenhouse for transplanting.

The main ivy was brought to the university from Stokes Poges, the church in England made famous by Thomas Gray in his "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard."

When the regents opened the sealed "cornerstone" box they found that red ands had devoured some of its contents. A charm against rheumatism which Gov. F. M. Lubbock deposited in the receptacle could not be found. Gov. Lubbock had worn the charm 40 years, he said, when he put it in the box. Arthur A. Styles of Austin, 64 years old, who was present when the cornerstone was laid recalled incidents in connection with the occasion. It was he who told about Gov. Lubbock's charm.

San Antonio News. August 13, 1936.
Article by: Unknown

Back to News


3 May 1999
Send comments to evpp@www.utexas.edu
Credits and Resources