The Perry-Castañneda Library, which opened on August 29, 1977, is the main library of the University of Texas. The PCL embraces all subject fields, with the strongest holdings in the humanities and social sciences. Housing a basic research collection with no rare book collections, the library was designed as a user-oriented facility with open book stacks, expanded service areas and improved reader facilities. The building itself is named for Dr. Ervin S. Perry, the first African-American to be appointed to the academic rank of professor at UT, and Dr. Carlos Eduardo Castañeda, an authority on the colonial and republican history of Mexico and the history of Texas. Perry was associate professor of Civil engineering when he died in 1970 at the age of 34. Castañeda was professor of Latin-American History and librarian of the Benson Latin-American Collection from 1927 until 1946.
|College of Business Administration
This building was constructed in 1962. It houses the undergraduate College of Business Administration and the Bureau of Business Research. In December 1981, the Regents announced an extensive renovation in the second phase of a construction project for the new University Teaching Center. As the renovation neared completion and Dean George Kozmetsky retired, the entire complex, including the Business-Economics Building / Business-Economics Office Building, the Graduate School of Business Building, and the new University Teaching Center were named for him: The George Kozmetsky Center for Business Education. Dean Kozmetsky and his family have been generous benefactors to help develop programs in both the College of Business Administration and the Graduate School for Business.
|Beauford H. Jester Center
This dormitory-academic complex opened in 1969 and was named for the late Texas Governor Beauford H. Jester of Corsicana, who earned Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws degrees from Ut Austin, and who was a member and chairman of the UT Board of Regents from 1929-1935. The building was the largest building in Austin when built and was the largest building project in UT history. The huge complex includes a 14-level residence and a 10-level residence. Each room has built-in furniture, including beds, wardrobes, desks and a lavatory. Bookshelves and tack boards are in every room. Each unit also has study rooms, lounges, laundry rooms and storage areas. The most innovative aspect of the building is the inclusion of academic facilities within a dormitory environment. Classrooms, seminar areas, language laboratories, the Career Center, the Learning Skills Center, faculty offices, a 400-seat auditorium equipped with modern audio-visual teaching devices, and a library reading room are among the academic facilities. Close proximity (across the street) to the PCL is an added bonus for students living in here.
|Graduate School of Business
This building is home for students pursuing master's degrees in the Graduate School of Business. Every lecture hall has a closed-circuit TV system, which can be activated from the teacher's lectern. Overhead projection facilities also are in every classroom, and rear-screen projections are available in eight lecture halls. Because the Graduate School of Business has a strong orientation toward computers, the Computation Center keeps up-to-date equipment in this building. Among the modern trappings in this building is a reminder of yesteryear: the original interior of a Texas bank of the 1890s, complete with teller cages, hand-carved wood and the bank president's office. Also from the past is a brass-and-oak trading post that stood on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange from 1929 until its replacement during 1980-81.