This statuary group consists of a stallion, five mares, and a colt as they scramble down the side of a mountain. Created by A. Phimister Proctor, a great sculptor of western life, the $60,000 statue was paid for by Ralph R. Ogden, an Austin oilman and ca
ttleman. Proctor did the actual sculpting in Jim Hogg County, near Hebbronville, Texas. Plaster casts were sent to the Gorham Company in Providence, Rhode Island, in 1941 for casting in bronze. Because of World War II, the work was not completed until
1948, when it was shipped to Austin on a freight car.
|Texas Memorial Museum
Built in honor of the Texas Centennial and one hundred years of progress in
Texas, the Texas Memorial Museum was one of several buildings on campus
for which Paul Cret was the consulting architect. Ground was broken
for the building by President Franklin
D. Roosevelt in 1936 during a whistle stop in Austin.
The museum was opened in 1959. At that time, The University officially
took responsibility from the state for the collections and began
transferring its own scattered holdings to the museum. Two additions
were completed, the first in 1962 and the second in 1980.
The second addition is the Dinosaur Track Building. Collections include
exhibits devoted to Texas history, natural history, geology and paleontology,
Texas and Southwest minerals,
three-dimensional models of some leading Texas oil fields,
the Goddess of Liberty (which stood atop the State Capitol for 97 years),
a striking reconstruction of a 30-foot dinosaur whose bones were found in
Onion Creek, a few miles from Austin.
This four-story structure contains a large museum, 350-seat auditorium, two 85-seat lecture halls, art library, slide library, and 17 art laboratories for classes in painting, drawing, composition, sculpture, ceramics, design theory, graphic design, art
education, printmaking and three-dimensional design. An enclosed patio features an Umlauf statue in a small pool. Other components of the building include slide-viewing and print-study rooms, faculty offices, conservator and museum director's offices, computer labs,
crafts room, kiln room, two photography rooms and a seminar room. An extremely sensitive alarm system in the building can be activated by an air current. The building also provided The University and Austin with the first complete exhibition gallery ope
n since October 1963. In 1975, a new addition and renovation project added new facilities for sculpture and ceramics, printmaking, photography, art history and art education. There is also a new Transmedia area where video, performance and installation art are taught.
|Engineering Science Building
Housing the University's departments of Electrical and Biomedical Engineering and the nuclear branch of the Department of Physics, the Engineering Science Building is actually composed of two structures joined by a one-story section and a covered walkway.
Special research facilities in the building, other than the particle accelerators, include a basement pool 19 feet wide and 16 feet deep, used by electrical engineers for sound transmission studies, refrigeration, temperature and humidity chambers for
civil engineering research on soils, space for a closed-circuit TV studio, and a 150,000-volt electron microscope. Some of the Computation Center's major facilities are also available in this building.