The University of Texas at Austin- What Starts Here Changes the World
Services Navigation

Office of Trademark Licensing


 | General | Licensing | Royalties | Use Limitations | Expediting Your Request |

To fully protect The University of Texas System trademarks so that they remain valuable assets for years to come, System registers the marks and manages them through licensing. These two steps would not be sufficient, however, if System licensed the marks for any and every proposed use. For example, some uses would harm the very reputation that the marks represent. In other cases, the nature of goods and services may pose such significant legal risks that they should not be licensed, and some uses may potentially harm the marks unless they are carefully controlled. To protect its marks, System has developed the following use restrictions:


Only an Officially Licensed Vendor may produce merchandise bearing UT System Trademarks. "Officially Licensed Vendors" and "Store Vendors" or other University vendors may not always be the same. For a current list of Officially Licensed Vendors contact the Office of Trademark Licensing or go to the Forms & Lists page to download.

Any trademark which identifies or is associated with the UT System may not be used without prior expressed written permission from the Office of Trademark Licensing. To obtain this permission, submit a written request via e-mail (preferable) to the Office of Trademark Licensing at, or fax (512-232-7080.) Questions have been developed to assist you with providing pertinent information so that your request can be considered.  For Internal Requests on products bearing trademarks, see Campus Entities section below.

We are committed to the concept that all items incorporating UT Trademarks (including names of departments and any recognized club and organization affiliated with UT System or its institutions) are manufactured by companies whose labor policies insure that their employees are safe from abusive labor practices. The Office of Trademark Licensing in connection with our licensing agents [Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC), Strategic Marketing Affiliates (SMA)] and the Fair Labor Association (FLA) have adopted Labor Code Standards which require licensees to disclose the locations of their factories it owns or contracts with and authorize announced and unannounced inspections/monitoring of the factories.

Merchandise bearing UT Trademarks and produced without proper written authorization may be considered counterfeit or infringing and subject to all available legal remedies, including, but not limited to, seizure of the merchandise.


Any person, business, or organization desiring to use trademarks of The University of Texas System in any manner and for any purpose must be licensed to do so. The UT System has arranged for licenses to be issued by the Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) and Strategic Marketing Affiliates (SMA) on the institutions behalf. A separate license must be obtained for each institution within the System.

The CLC Consortium offers the following licenses to companies interested in producing licensed merchandise. All license applications are subject to the approval of the individual institutions (Austin & El Paso). SMA offers two types of agreements, the Standard and Restricted (Arlington, Brownsville, Dallas, Pan American, Permian Basin, San Antonio, Tyler, Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Medical Branch at Galveston, HSC-Houston, and HSC-San Antonio).

Standard License: A Standard License is available to companies that wish to manufacture collegiate product for six or more institutions, and is typically reserved for larger manufacturers with well-established production, distribution, and marketing capabilities.

Local License: A Local License is available to smaller companies that wish to manufacturer collegiate product for up to five in-state institutions, and do not have plans to expand significantly beyond those local institutions.

Restricted License: A Restricted License is available to companies that wish to produce non-resale merchandise for “internal consumption” by institutions in the local area.

NCAA/Bowl/Conference Licenses: These are special licenses that are available to companies that wish to obtain rights to use the trademarks of the NCAA, bowl games, or athletic conferences for use on licensed merchandise, either alone or in conjunction with an institution’s trademarks. Licensing rights to these properties can be more expensive to obtain, depending on the event and the extent of the rights and product categories.

Please Note: Some Colleges and Universities may offer a license called a "Crafter's License;" however this is not a type of license any of the UT System Institutions have.

To download an application or obtain more detailed information about these types of licenses, please visit the Licensing Info menu at or


General guidelines have been set up to determine if a request is royalty or non-royalty bearing. That being said, each request is reviewed on a case by case basis to ensure that the trademark policies are implemented in a consistent manner. These guidelines are, but not limited to the following:

1) Any item, including those sold to a University-owned entity are generally subject to royalty fees if a UT Trademark is utilized and the product is for resale. 2) The inclusion of a corporate name or "sponsor" may require the payment of royalties. This is usually the case with promotional, corporate sponsored items. 3) There are times when an item being given away will be royalty bearing. This is when the design is considered "generic" (ie:not dept, program, or event specific.)

Use Limitations

System Marks requested for the following uses are limited and described in the upcoming highlighted sections. As always, prior written approval from the Office of Trademark Licensing for permission to use marks in the following ways:


Use of trademarks/logos on the cover or within the text of a magazine when there is an article about the University, its officers, students, or alumni.

Sports publications approved by the institutional chief administrative officer or designee, providing the publisher agrees to include the following disclaimer in the publication:
"Not an Official Publication of The University of Texas (@ institution)".

Literary works that generally provide historical information about and promote the goodwill of the U.T. System or component institution. System marks may be licensed for such use by permission letter after review by the appropriate institutional officers.

Internal publications that incorporate UT Trademarks should conform to each component institutions guidelines.


System marks may be used in the following kinds of advertising, so long as the uses also conform to the special requirements of the Office of General Counsel contained in guidelines, checklists and interactive electronic forms applicable in each case. These are designed to help component institutions conform their agreements to standard expectations regarding both the form and substance of the agreements and the approval of ad copy and layout design.

A commercial entity that is a “licensee” of the University may utilize certain marks in an ad but only when there is an underlying related product, which is licensed and only when the licensed product is being advertised.

Those entities not licensed may utilize certain marks in ads that are of an informational, congratulatory or in team spirit nature (academic/athletic achievements) as determined by the Trademark office. These ads may not contain solicitation for the sale of their products or services but the company name/logo may appear.

Corporate advertisements that utilize appropriate System trademarks in official programs sold or distributed at Intercollegiate Athletic events, pursuant to the terms of an Advertising Agreement.

Promotional activities utilizing appropriate System trademarks, pursuant to the terms of a Sponsor/Promotional License Agreement. Promotional activities are activities such as advertising or offering promotional products to further the growth, development, acceptance and/or sale of goods or services.

For companies that have done work for the University, the company may list the component name with other customers. These companies may include photographs of the actual work area provided that it is generic to the location.


Campus Entities (Student Groups, Schools, Departments)

An official request must be submitted by providing a Student and Internal Request Form, which can be downloaded from the Forms & Lists page of this site or obtained from the Office of Trademark Licensing. Products utilizing University trademarks must be produced under a licensing agreement. A list of Officially Licensed Companies (vendors) can also be found on the Forms & Lists page. The completed form should then be returned to this office along with the entire proposed design. Once all the information pertaining to the request is received, the review process can begin. This request process typically takes between 3-5 business days; however if more information is needed, this time could be extended.  *The internal request process for System Institutions other than Austin are individual to that institution and must follow their internal and visual guidelines.

Only organizations that are “officially sponsored” may use the marks, but may not use the marks in a manner that in any way would constitute an endorsement, approval, or underwriting of any organization, product, activity, service, or contract by The University of Texas System. For a UT Austin student group to become officially sponsored, contact Student Activities in the Dean of Students Office. For all other UT System Institutions, contact that System Institution's respective Dean of Students Office and follow their process for being recognized as an official student group. The Office of Trademark Licensing must approve artwork and merchandise must be purchased from a licensed manufacturer. Use of University logos/names may also be used when there is a clear identity with official operation or approved academic programs of the institution.

Periodically, campus organizations solicit funding from outside entities to support fundraising efforts. It is possible to acknowledge a corporate entity for its support, providing there is no logo usage and no mention of products or services of that corporate entity. For example, "This mailing made possible by ---" or similar statement may be used. The company name should be in the same size, color, and typeface as the rest of the statement.

Student organizations that represent themselves on the internet should follow the guidelines here on this sample site when creating their sites. This site illustrates the correct and incorrect website layout which can be used as a guide in creating compliant organizational web sites.

Corporate Partners

Those corporations that have executed agreements either with the University or its representative and have been granted the rights to use the marks must have all use of the marks approved by the Office of Trademark Licensing. Corporate Sponsorship agreements are limited to athletic events or other University activities that are co-sponsored by the University.

Corporations that are working together with a System Institution on a project, each contributing equally may use their name/logo with the University names/logos. An association where there is not an equal partnership is limited to stating as a fact what the University’s role is in the project, rather than placing the University’s logo/name next to the corporation’s. Projects in which the University provides informal assistance may not include reference to the University at all.


The following will not be licensed:

Expediting Your Request


When submitting your written request it is important to state the Who, What, Why and Where's. To assist you, the following questions are provided *:

  1. What is the presentation, including what reference will be made to the institution?

  2. Where will the trademark be used and how?

  3. Why is the logo being included?

  4. Who will be producing the item which will be bearing the trademark? Provide complete contact information.

  5. When will the logo be used? (Duration of use.)

  6. Who is the audience?

*Provide a copy of the material on which the logo will appear (artwork, etc.) to help illustrate the overall impression of the use.

*If request is internal, Campus or Departmental Contact information and approval for is necessary. (For example, at times our office is contacted by an outside manufacturer who is requested to produce items such as signs, doors, etc by a campus entity and we will need to know who exactly that University contact is.)

Please provide as much information as possible. This will help expedite your request. You may forward any information/materials via email, facsimile (512-232-7080), or US mail to the Office of Trademark Licensing.

  Updated 2012 October 18
  Copyright | Privacy | Accessibility
  Contact Us