Business-related air travel policy change effective May 20, 2013
Following an extensive review of travel procurement and reimbursement practices, UT System and representatives from all member institutions have decided to adopt a new travel management strategy. See FAQs.
- The system-wide aggregate purchasing power will enable us to negotiate deeper discounts with our airline, hotel, and car rental partners.
- A robust Concur online travel tool with access to web, UT, State of Texas contract airfares, rental car, and hotel is available for cost saving and timesaving DIY browsing and reservations.
- The focus will be with service, safety, and security foremost, including timely travel alerts and information available via mobile applications. All international reservations are sent to the International SOS database, improving the university's ability to assist travelers in emergencies and saving time by automatically fulfilling the Chancellor's requirement to register international travel in SOS. International SOS is for emergency medical assistance and evacuation services:
- Pre-trip information on travel health issues (such as vaccination information)
- Assistance finding emergency healthcare
- Assistance with emergency evacuation
- UT Austin Travel Management Services works closely with International SOS to assist in emergency
- The required use of the contracted travel agencies is directed to faculty/staff/student business travel reservations.
Study abroad and group travel reservations are not included in this requirement.
Exceptions to this policy:
- Travel costs are borne by an entity external to the university.
- Emergency situations (flood, hurricane, etc.)
- Traveler obtains airfare from an alternate provider with $100 or greater savings compared to that offered by university travel agencies or found on Concur for the same itinerary. Must be an exact comparison.
- Group or conference airfare or discounts not available through the university agencies.
Travel Management Services will provide further information about requesting exception.
New UT Transaction Fees:
Business Travel Reservations:
- Domestic ticket issued/exchanged: $23.50
- International ticket issued/exchanged: $30.00
- Concur On-line ticket issued/exchanged: $10.00
Use of Personal Credit Card:
As long as you are using one of the two designated contractors (Anthony Travel or Corporate Travel Planners), you may still book travel using a personal form of credit and seek reimbursement. The only exceptions to using your personal card are when booking travel via:
- State of Texas contract airfares
- University corporate discount airfares with American, JetBlue, Southwest Airlines or United