Part Two: Complete the Proposal Paperwork & Gather Signatures
Part Three: Completing the Experience
Connecting Experiences Step-By-Step Home
Step One: Plan Ahead!
- Start Planning Early. Start thinking about what you want to do in the semester before your experience. Students going abroad have an earlier Connecting Experience proposal deadline; check the Forms & Deadlines page for specific deadlines.
- Meet with your BDP Advisor. Your advisor can help you brainstorm what you want to do and help you find the right faculty mentor. Your advisor can also explain the proposal process, course registration, and deadlines.
- Visit the Study Abroad Office. If you plan to integrate a connecting experience with a study abroad experience, you may need to plan further ahead to work with study abroad deadlines. The advisors in the Study Abroad Office are familiar with the BDPs, and they can help you find study abroad experiences that could integrate a research or creative project component.
Step Two: Self-Assessment*
- Clarify your interests and objectives.
-What do you hope to gain from the experience?
-What type of research or creative project do you want to do?
-What questions do you want answered?
-Where do you want to work or conduct your research or creative project (consider geographical location and environment)?
- Clarify your BDP connections and objectives.
-How does the research or creative project connect to your BDP topic and strand?
-What do you hope to learn about your BDP topic and strand through this experience?
- Think about your personality and values.
-Are you more comfortable working with a lot of other people or would you prefer to work alone?
-What is going to make your research a meaningful experience? Making connections with people in your field of interest, working on creative projects, developing specific skills, etc.?
*adapted from the Sanger Learning & Career Center
Step Three: Explore Research Connecting Experience Opportunities
- Consider. Research experiences can be independent projects or research assistant opportunities with a faculty member. Research assistant opportunities can be difficult to come by, so be sure to stay connected to your BDP advisor if you are looking for this kind of opportunity.
- Explore. Meet with your BDP advisor to brainstorm research ideas.
- Link. Get on the mailing list of your college’s career center