Students looking for information about flags should visit the UGS Flags page.
Please direct all questions about the flag proposal process to the Center for the Core Curriculum.
Department of Radio-Television-Film
Please describe how students will engage in independent investigation and presentation of their own work through the course. Please explain specifically how your course engages students in the process of inquiry in your discipline.
In RTF 367K, students learn how to be producers of film and television projects (as opposed to writers or directors). In the course, we progress through the entertainment project life cycle, from acquisition of story rights to budgeting and financing to scheduling to production to post-production, and all the way through marketing and distribution. Concurrent with these discussions, students work on their own business plans for independent film and television projects, which they select and research in order to best present them. This is true entertainment industry entrepreneurship, and students are instructed to treat the projects as “real” — e.g., students may not propose projects based on books where the rights are not available. Numerous of these projects have later gone on to be produced.
What kinds of projects, artifacts, presentations, or performances do your students produce as a result of engaging in this process of inquiry?
The ultimate deliverable in the class is a business plan, suitable for submission to studios, networks or other financing entities. This business plan has preliminary deliverables (story synopsis, preliminary budget, and key crew bios), which are in the same format used by numerous industry programs and grants (e.g., Rotterdam Film Mart, Austin Film Society production grants). These documents, submitted in the middle of the semester, are bound into booklets, which the students are required to purchase. They then vote on the best projects and the winners make presentations of their completed business plans to the entire class during our final exam period. (While I’d like for every student to present, it’s simply not possible in a class of 70+ students. However, students are not told who the winners are prior to the presentations, so everyone must prepare as if they’re going to present). The students get their mid-semester papers back with notes and proceed to execute complete business plans, which include full story treatments, detailed budgets and schedules, financial plans, marketing and distribution plans, and income projections. With the exception of the story treatment, each of the other documents requires significant research.
Please explain what independent work students will do in this course. If students are engaged in team-based projects, explain how every student will exercise responsibility for and independence with some portion of the project.
All of the work in the course is done independently — i.e., no group projects.
How does the work that students produce in this course build upon skills or knowledge they have developed in previous coursework?
Almost all prior coursework done by the students in this course would be regarded as “creative.” Producers are also creative but must also factor in the realities of the marketplace. This course emphasizes entrepreneurship in the field of entertainment.
Please specify what percentage of the students’ grade is based on the process of inquiry as described above. Note that for a 3-hour course, at least one-third of the course grade must be based on the students’ independent investigation and presentation of their own work. (Students’ independent work must constitute one-half of the grade for 2-hour courses and all of the grade for 1-hour courses.)
46%. The remaining 54% = 3 tests x 15% and 3 quizzes x 3%.
Return to Proposal Tips: Independent Inquiry.