The University of Texas at Austin
School of Undergraduate Studies
Skip navigation links

Assigning Course Credit

With approval from a faculty supervisor, students may be able to obtain course credit for research participation. Credit is often available through the student’s or faculty supervisor’s department or college and is also available through the School of Undergraduate Studies (UGS).

Credit Through UGS

UGS offers two Undergraduate Research Experience courses: UGS 310 and UGS 320. In order to enroll in either course, the student must find a faculty member to serve as supervisor. A student may serve as an assistant on an existing faculty project or as the author of an individual project.

The student and faculty supervisor must complete and sign a research contract which the student will turn in to the Office of Undergraduate Research, FAC 22. Drafting the contract allows the student to develop ideas about what she or he hopes to accomplish and allows the faculty supervisor to clearly articulate what is expected of the student over the course of the semester.

For more information, download the UGS 310 and UGS 320 information sheet and contract or contact the Office of Undergraduate Research.