Students who have registered to present their work at the Longhorn Research Bazaar are eligible to have their posters printed by the Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) free of charge if their department or program does not offer its own complimentary poster printing services. However, students must follow OUR guidelines and submit their poster files to be printed by the stated deadline in order to have their posters printed by the OUR. Please read these guidelines carefully:
- Students who plan to present a research poster at the Longhorn Research Bazaar must attend a poster design workshop, either through the Office of Undergraduate Research or through their department or program. To register for a poster workshop offered by the Office of Undergraduate Research, please visit our Poster Workshop page.
- The file submission deadline for students presenting at the Longhorn Research Bazaar is 8 a.m. on Friday, April 10, 2015. Students must submit a finalized PDF file of the poster to the OUR’s main email address, email@example.com.
- The OUR prints posters that are 50 inches wide by 40 inches tall. If your poster is smaller than this, you may have to cut off a white margin from your printed poster. If your poster is larger than this, you will lose part of your poster in the printing process. To avoid these problems, please set the dimensions for your poster to OUR specifications before you begin the design process.
- The OUR prints PDF files only. If you are working in PowerPoint or another design program, be sure to save your file as a PDF before sending it to us. It is the student’s responsibility to review the PDF and ensure that the file is in order before sending it for printing. For instance, students should check that any images appear clear (not blurry or pixilated) and that all text, lines, and boxes are in the desired arrangement on the PDF.
- Posters should be designed with a margin of at least 1.5 inches on all sides. The poster printer is not 100% accurate in defining document margins; there is a small but normal margin of error that must be accounted for in the design process.
- The OUR will not print posters with color-saturated backgrounds. The OUR reserves the right to return a poster for revision if bright or dark colors account for a significant portion of the poster.
- The OUR does not accept responsibility for design flaws and will not reprint posters because a student wishes to revise his/her design. Posters will only be reprinted if there is a significant defect that occurs during printing due to equipment failure or OUR error.
- Each computer/monitor represents colors slightly differently. Colors on your printed poster will be close to the same color on your screen, but they may not be an exact match. Slight color variations are normal.
- Please keep in mind that posters generally take about 30 minutes to print and several hours to dry completely.
- If you are presenting at a Research Week event other than the Longhorn Research Bazaar, you must arrange to pick up your poster during normal business hours well in advance of the event. To schedule your pick-up time, please contact the OUR at 512-471-7152 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We will not be available for poster pick-up on Wednesday, April 22, 2015. Students who pick up their posters for another presentation will be responsible for bringing their posters to the Longhorn Research Bazaar.
- Students who are having their posters printed by the OUR and who are presenting at the Longhorn Research Bazaar only will have their posters brought to the Bazaar by OUR staff. Please check in at the Bazaar between 11:30-11:45 a.m. to find your poster.
The OUR occasionally makes special arrangements with other programs to print posters for a $25 fee per poster. The OUR is not set up as a service center for poster printing and is thus unable to accept payments directly from students; therefore, departments and programs need to set up Interdepartmental Transfers (IDTs) for all poster printing not directly associated with the Longhorn Research Bazaar. The OUR does not have dedicated staff for poster printing, so printing must be arranged based on OUR availability and ability to allocate staff hours. Please direct questions or requests to the OUR at 512-471-7152 or email@example.com.