Welcome to the Black Box Theater!
The Student Activity Center is pleased to offer our Black Box Theater for use by UT students. This experimental space offers a unique, completely pitch-dark room that can be dynamically transformed by lighting for theater, performance, art projects, music presentations, and more.
Students wishing to use the Black Box Theater are permitted to reserve the space for up to twelve days. This space of days allows for (and includes) rehearsal time. On-site storage is also available to house props and equipment during your use of the facility.
The Black Box Theater was built to be flexible to adjust to the unique needs of each production.
The space is equipped with:
• A multi-functional lighting grid that can be configured to fit each production’s technical needs. (including effects, fades, spotlights, etc)
• Plug and play wall outlets for additional equipment.
• Built-in speakers, DVD & VHS player.
• Wireless microphones, lapel microphones, and mic stands are available for check-out.
• The space can fit up to 150 chairs, concert style, in any configuration.
• On-site storage closet (free to use during length of your reservation.)
Individuals and groups interested in using the space are instructed to use the University Unions Online Reservations System website. There, groups can search availability and submit a reservation request.
Further questions can be made via our contact page, or by calling our main reservation line at (512) 475-6628.
We look forward to your work in the Black Box Theater!
Note: Each group or individual using the space meets in advance with the A/V team to coordinate their specific technical needs. SAC staff are here to provide technical training for all productions in the Black Box Theater.