All employees, whose duties include cash handling, are required to take the CW 505 Cashier Training in the Compliance Training Module.
All checks received should be reviewed, endorsed, and logged immediately upon receipt.
All cash and checks should be thoroughly inspected for authenticity and accuracy following the university’s guidelines:
When accepting cash and checks you must provide the customer with a serial-numbered receipt and keep a copy for your records.
Prior to being deposited, all cash and checks must be kept in a secure/locked location. Never leave cash or other forms of money unattended or in an insecure manner.
Deposits should be made daily, if they total $500 or more or weekly if less than $500.
The cash handling and record-keeping functions should be separated. If the office is small, and separation of duties is impracticable, the supervisory personnel who do not handle cash should perform specific verification that provides for reasonable and sound internal controls.
All units must follow University guidelines for Records Retention related to "Cash Receipts and Related Records."
Each department shall have the following in a documentation file:
- Departmental cash handling procedures
- Authorization of the fund Records indicating who is responsible for the fund
- Check logs, sales receipts, cash transfer logs, coin-operated machine logs, and discount/complimentary sales forms.
- Additionally, each department shall have access to the Handbook of Business Procedures.
- Cashiers Office, Bursar, 512-475-7777; Fax, 512-471-0212
- Cash Management, John Walker, 512-232-5733
- Gifts received; Beth Frost, 512-471-6931
Last Modified: 10 September 2014
- For all cash handling issues related to TXShop online store fronts, please contact John Ward.
- All gifts should be processed through Development. If your department receives a gift, please contact: Beth Frost for processing.
- It is highly recommended that you make a photocopy of each check received and doing the same for any cash could be beneficial in the event of a loss.
- All cash and check deposits from the sale of goods and services must follow University guidelines for handling and depositing sales tax.