How it Works
- Get initial approval to recruit. After reviewing the college’s financial ability and academic priorities, the dean will send an e-mail to the department chair/director authorizing each department’s search(es).
- At this point, the chair or director should familiarize themselves with the requirements of the Appointment Process Summary to ensure that the entire recruiting process from beginning to end meets all College of Liberal Arts and University rules and regulations.
- Formalize request. The Dean’s Office will create a shell record in the CoLA Faculty Recruitment Detail database (FRD) once the dean has authorized the search. The record will include the department, title and max approved salary. At this point, the department enters the job posting and other needed information (including what courses will be taught by this position and the location of the faculty member’s office) into the FRD for final review/approval. You will need to log into the FRD with the Account Name and Password for Filemaker Pro provided for your department by David Macha in the Dean’s Office.
- Get final approval to recruit. The Dean’s Office will review the FRD request, making sure that the job posting lists specific criteria and meets all UT policy requirements. Once the FRD request has been updated as “Approved,” the database will send a notification e-mail to the department contact.
- You are now ready to post and advertise the position. All standard faculty positions should be advertised on the UT Faculty Recruitment Web and in discipline-specific journals or sites.
For a Tenure hire:
- Once a successful candidate has been chosen, complete and submit to the Dean's office, the P&T Packet (DOC) for outside hire.
- The dean's office will arrange a vote of three Ad Hoc P&T Committee members and will notify the department of the outcome.
- If the vote from the P&T committee is favorable, complete the PAR process.
Please direct comments on the Procedures Guide to email@example.com
Last Modified: 22 March 2012