How It Works
Paying for Rental Cars
You may pay for rental cars any of the following ways:
- Pay by individual credit card and seek reimbursement upon return.
- Centrally bill the rental through the Travel Management Services Office — to use this payment option, make the car reservation using the applicable Avis or Enterprise corporate ID number, and complete the Rental Car Central Billing Request form.
- Use a departmental direct billing account number — if your department has this unique direct billing account, you can use this option and your department will receive the billing statement directly from the car-rental company for payment processing through your department and the Office of Accounting. If your department is interested in establishing a departmental direct billing account with State of Texas rental car vendors, e-mail Travel Management Services.
If the preference is to have the rental company Direct Bill UT, the following steps must be taken.
Once completed, the traveler will be given a billing code that must be presented at the rental counter.
Please direct comments on the Procedures Guide to firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Modified: 27 September 2011
Tips or FAQs
- Why can’t I rent a 12 or 15-passanger van?
- According to UT System policy, only trained, authorized drivers can operate 12 or 15-passanger vans, and no more than 9 occupants (including the driver) are allowed in the van at any time. This policy is in place for the safety of you and the entire university community. If you want to learn more about the 15-passanger van rule, visit the Parking and Transportation Services Web site.
- How do I direct bill a rental car through central billing?
- How can I set up departmental direct billing for a rental car?
- If your department is interested in establishing a departmental direct billing account with State of Texas rental car vendors, e-mail Travel Management Services. Remember to include the following information in the e-mail:your department’s name, U.S. mailing address, departmental contact’s name,and the name of the rental-car vendor you want to set up departmental direct billing with.
- Am I allowed to use a non-contract rental car vendor?
- Non-contract car rentals are only allowed if the three State vendors are sold out or do not have a rental location where you are going. You must purchase the offered LDW and Liability insurance coverages (they are reimbursable).
- If you need to use a non-contract vendor and will pay for the rental using state funds, you will need to get a cost comparison from the Travel Management office. Upon the traveler's return, fax or email your cost comparison request along with their final rental car invoice. The Office of Accounting Travel Desk will only reimburse the lower cost.
- Can I take my rental car outside the United States or across state lines?
- Who can answer my insurance questions regarding business travel related car rentals?
- Contact Lisa Shanks, Office of Accounting Risk and Insurance Analyst, with rental car insurance questions.