Lora Romero Memorial Graduate Award for Interdisciplinary Research in Race, Ethnicity and Gender
Thank you for your interest in this award! For 2013-2014 the award will be given to an undergraduate student. For 2014-2015 the award will be given to a graduat student. We look forward to seeing your undergraduate application in 2015!
This scholarship is an annual award created in honor of former UT colleague Lora Romero. For 2014-2015 academic year, the award will be given to a graduate student. The award will honor and support students investigating the intersections between race, ethnicity and gender. Scholarship of $500 to be awarded at the Annual Spring Reception in late April/early May, date TBA.
Thank you to the UT Department of English who is co-sponsoring this award in memory of Lora Romero.
To be eligible, an applicant must be a full-time graduate student in good standing at The University of Texas at Austin. Students must also belong to the WGS MA, dual degree, or WGS Portfolio Program. Information on the WGS Portfolio Program is available online. Essays and applications must be submitted online by 4:59pm on March 25th 2015.
- Application Form (submitted online)
- A single-sentence description of the attached paper (800 characters max; submitted online)
- Title of your paper, Course in which paper was written
- List the department, contact info, and names of 2 UT professors whom we might call as references. (Letters are not required; submitted online)
- Have you applied for any similar WGS awards in the past? If so, please include the award name(s), year(s) applied, and the results.
- Abstract: A summary of the paper which contributes to increased understanding of the intersection between race, ethnicity and gender* (25 lines max, single-spaced; submitted online) Double-spacing is not needed here.
- Sources, references, bibliography page.
- The full length paper, including sources/references/bibliography page, should be submitted as a PDF file (the file name should be "[YourLastName]-[CurrentYear]Romero.pdf") to the CWGS office by by 4:59pm on March 25th 2015.
- Submit the paper via email (message subject must read: Romero PDF, [Your UT EID]) to the CWGS Academic Coordinator.
- Original works only
- No co-authored pieces
- Emailed PDF submission should be double-spaced, except for articles
A word of caution: the website's interpretation of 25 lines may differ from 25 lines in a word processing program. Essays and applications must be submitted online by by 4:59pm on March 5th 2015. When submitting to the online system, double-check formatting as punctuation may be lost. Do not wait until the last minute to apply! The server may become overloaded due to traffic and your browser might receive an error! Staff may not be available to assist with errors on March 25th. We advise you test your ability to save and work online as early as possible. Please submit questions or report any glitches you find in advance to the CWGS office.
*Submit a scholarly research paper on a topic that contributes to increased understanding of the intersections between race, ethnicity and gender. (Include footnotes, sources and/or bibliography.) For example, the relationship between literary analysis and public policy perspectives; literacy or historical analysis of contemporary issues concerning race, gender, and ethnicity; examinations of intercultural exchange; production or examination of performances and representations dealing with gender, race, and ethnicity. Questions? Please contact the Center for Women's and Gender Studies office at 471-5765.
Applications are available online through UT Direct: http://tiny.cc/wgs-awards
If the shortened link does not work for you, please try: https://utdirect.utexas.edu/scholarship/student/menu.WBX?s_scholarship_owner=LWGS&s_user_role=S
Applications will open in late January/early February 2015.
Award to be announced at the Annual Women's and Gender Studies Spring Reception. Date/time TBA. Award winners should be present.