Students who are not benefits-eligible academic employees (TA/AI/RA @ 20 hrs/wk) are welcome to purchase the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), which will cost $2,181 for the 12-month 2015-16 academic year. The Academic Health Plans (AHP) organization contracts with Blue Cross Blue Shield to provide medical coverage. Please visit the AHP website to enroll online and pay the premium.
Enrollment Periods for Voluntary Domestic Students and/or Dependents each semester:
Students must enroll during open enrollment or they will have to wait until the next open enrollment period (unless they have a qualified change of status). There will be open enrollment dates for each semester and coverage will become effective the day after enrollment:
- Fall - Enrollment opens 06/01/2015. Must enroll no later than 10/01/2015
- Spring/Summer – Enrollment opens 11/01/2015. Must enroll no later than 02/28/2016
- Summer only – Enrollment opens 04/01/2016. Must enroll no later than 06/15/2016
Students and/or dependents enrolling during the Open Enrollment Period, prior to the effective date of the plan, will be effective on the 1st day of the selected coverage period. Enrollment after the effective date of the selected coverage period, during the Open Enrollment Period, will be effective the day after the company receives the premium. This is for students who enroll prior to the semester start date. For example: a student attended orientation and decide to purchase SHIP on 7/20 and the semester starts 8/15. The students’ coverage would begin on 8/15. If they wait to enroll AFTER the coverage date begins (say the enroll on 9/15) their coverage begins on 9/16 at 12:01am (the day after AHP receives premium).
When Voluntary Students and/or dependents are re-enrolling, and enrollment takes place prior to the 30-day grace period, the effective date would be backdated to the beginning of the coverage period, even if they enrolled after the effective date. For example: a student was enrolled in 2014/15 until 8/14/15. They enroll by 9/14/15 for the next year, AHP will backdate the policy to 8/15 so there is no gap in coverage. Their coverage date will be 8/15/15. If they wait until 9/29 to enroll, (past the 30 days) coverage will begin on 9/30/15.
International students without benefits-eligible academic employment (typically those who are not a TA/AI/GRA) are automatically enrolled in the SHIP by the International Office. These charges appear on the tuition bill twice each year: in August for the fall semester and January for the spring/summer semesters. Summer insurance is charged to the spring tuition bill. For 2014-15, please visit this page to review costs and coverage periods. This image shows the cost chart for the 2015-16 year (the tuition bill will not reflect an additional line item for the 5% administrative fee, as it will be rolled into the total cost reflected on the tuition bill).
Plan Design Modifications for the 2015-16 Policy Year
- An individual out-of-pocket maximum has changed from $6,250 (in network) / $12,500 (out of network) to $6,600 (in network) / $13,200 (out of network).
- The office visit benefit has been changed from 80/60 to: $20 co-pay (in network) then 100% and the deductible is waived; out of network will be paid at 60% and subject to the deductible.
- The ER co-pay has been changed from $100 then payable at 80% in and out of network to $150 then payable at 80% in and out of network. The deductible is waived if admitted to the hospital.
- The prescription drug benefit has been changed from $15/$30/$50 co-pays to $15/$30/$50/20% co-insurance for specialty medications.
Required ACA Changes and Modifications for the 2014-2015 Policy Year:
- The Maximum benefit has been increased from $500,000 to “unlimited” per policy year
- The pre-existing condition limitation has been removed from the policy
- Pediatric dental and vision benefits have been added to the plan
- The Individual deductible has been changed from $300 to: $500 (in network) / $1,000 (out of network)
- A family deductible has been added for $1,500 (in network) / $3,000 (out of network)
- An individual out of pocket maximum has been added for $6,250 (in network) / $12,500 (out of network)
- A family out of pocket maximum has been added for $12,700 (in network) / $37,500 (out of network)
- The office visit benefit has been changed from 80/60 to: $20 co-pay (in network) then 100% and the deductible is waived, out of network will be paid at 60% and subject to the deductible
- The specialist visit benefit has been changed from 80/60 to: $40 co-pay (in network) then 100% and the deductible is waived, out of network will be paid at 60% and subject to the deductible
- The ER co-pay has been changed from $75 to: $100 then payable at 80% in and out of network, (The deductible is waived if admitted to the hospital)
- The Prescription Drug benefit has been changed from $10 / $15 co-pays to: $15 / $30 / $50 co-pays
- The waiver requirement for International Students will be modified per the UT System new health insurance requirements for International Students
- Texas required benchmark changes / essential benefit changes have been added to the plan including organ transplants.