New Faculty Orientation
General Administration: Things to Do upon Arrival on Campus
- Mandatory New Faculty Orientation - Please click the link on the page to register.
- Mandatory Employment Forms - Paycheck Profile, Directory Information, Ethics Statement, General University Compliance Form, Online Compliance Modules.
- I-9 Verification - Must be completed within the first three days of employment. Can be done at the New Faculty Orientation, or see Julie Kniseley.
- Claiming the W-4 – Online form.
- Optional New Employee Orientation - Covers insurance and retirement options.
- UT Electronic Identity (UT EID) - How to find or reset a UT EID.
- UT Austin Email Address - Sign up for a UT Austin email address with a UT EID.
- UT Identification Card - The ID Center is located on the first floor of the Flawn Academic Center (FAC). Valid photo ID (eg driver's license) required. The UT ID also serves as an electronic key for the CLA interior hallway doors (eg the main office front door) and for the building after hours.
- Office Keys - Obtain a key letter from Julie Kniseley and go to the Service Building (SER) with a UT ID card to get an office key.
- Telephone (Smart Voice) - Voicemail instructions. Julie Kniseley will give faculty their office phone number.
- Department Faculty Web Profile - How to manage the faculty profile webpage. Upload a photo here.
- Parking - Information on permits, garage/lot locations, and fees.
- UT Austin Faculty Web Central - A comprehensive list of resources for faculty.
- UTDirect - The main web portal where all of the above can be accessed (UT EID required).
- Blackboard/Canvas - Sociology Department Blackboard and Canvas. The University is transitioning from Blackboard to Canvas.
The Department's offices are located in the College of Liberal Arts Building (CLA). The main office (3.306) hours are Monday to Friday, 7:30 am to 5 pm. Undergraduate Advising (1.216) hours are Monday to Friday, 9 am to 12 pm, and 1 pm to 4 pm. Graduate student cubicles are on the 2nd and 3rd floors.
Main Office Phone: (512) 232-6300
Undergraduate Advising Office Phone: (512) 232-6344
Fax: (512) 471-1748
The University of Texas at Austin
Department of Sociology
305 E 23rd St, A1700
Austin, TX 78712-1086
Internal Campus Mail Code
- CLIPS and Blackboard/Canvas - Online tools for managing classes. The Sociology Department Blackboard can be accessed via the Blackboard homepage.
- Uploading Syllabi and CVs (House Bill 2504) - The State of Texas requires that all faculty upload their CV and syllabi each semester before the 12th class day. They must comply with these specific State guidelines. Upload them here. Please contact Valerie Goldstein with questions.
- Classroom Media Console Key and Code - Please go to Mezes Hall (MEZ) 2.104 with a UT ID to obtain a classroom media console key, if needed. Please see front desk for the computer access code.
- Desktop Support - firstname.lastname@example.org, 471-5000
- Classroom Support - 232-5400 (CLA), 471-9666 (other Liberal Arts buildings)
- General IT Support - 475-9400
Health and Safety
- UT Austin Police Department - Call 471-4441 (or 1-4441), or 911, from a campus phone.
- Emergency Text Alerts - Sign up for text alerts to receive prompt notice of emergencies, other safety issues, and weather closings.
- Behavior Concerns Advice Line (BCAL) - 232-5050. BCAL is a service that provides faculty, students, and staff an opportunity to discuss their concerns about another individual's behavior.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) - 471-3366
- Maintenance and Trouble Calls - 471-7728
- UT Austin Child Development Center - UT Austin childcare services.
- More Information and Resources
- Julie Kniseley - Executive Assistant. email@example.com, 232-6305, CLA 3.724. Office management, faculty relations, department budget and finance (including procard), events and accomodations.
- Kevin Hsu - Senior Administrative Associate. firstname.lastname@example.org, 232-6345, CLA 3.306E. Communications (websites, listservs), faculty reviews/awards/elections, department accounting and travel, supplies, front office management, student assistants supervision.
- Valerie Goldstein - Administrative Associate. email@example.com, 232-6302, CLA 3.306G. Course scheduling and instructor surveys, room reservations, faculty/lecturer/AI office assignments, BACS, FaSET, TracDat.
- Evelyn Porter - Graduate Program Administrator. firstname.lastname@example.org, 232-6347, CLA 3.732. Graduate program and student matters, graduate student space assignments.
- Debbie Rothschild - Undergraduate Advisor. email@example.com, 232-6344, CLA 1.216.
- Katherine O'Donnell - Undergraduate Advisor. firstname.lastname@example.org, 232-6344, CLA 1.216.
General Office Procedures
- Mail - The Sociology Department main office and mail room are open during regular business hours; after hours, they can be accessed with a UT ID. Mailing within the UT Austin campus is free, and the Department will pay for business mail to outside the University as long as the Departmental address is used as the return address.
- Copying/Printing/Faxing - The Department has two machines for faculty, staff, and graduate students to use for official business matters.
- Telephone - To call a campus number, dial only the last 5 digits (eg 2-6300); to call locally outside the University, dial 9+area code+number; to make a long-distance domestic call, dial 9+area code+number; to call a toll-free number, dial 9, then the number (excluding the 1); to make an international call, dial 88+six-digit authorization code+*+011+number.
- Room Reservations - Please contact email@example.com or use the request form.
- Supplies - To order office supplies and equipment, please see Kevin Hsu or Julie Kniseley.
- Letterhead - Please see Julie Kniseley for Departmental letterhead.
- Kitchen - For use by all Sociology faculty, staff and graduate students. Coffee is complimentary.
- Custodial Service - Offices are cleaned once a month. To have trash removed for the next business day, please set bins in the hall outside offices.
- Accounting and Travel - Faculty who have an account and would like to know their account number and/or balance can check it here. Requests for Travel Authorization and accompanying receipts should be submitted online. If an account or trip is funded by the Population Research Center, please see PRC staff. Before making an expense, check with Julie Kniseley or Kevin Hsu first to confirm reimbursement eligibility.
- Leave - Please see Julie Kniseley if planning to take leave.
- Clerical assistance - For class- and research-related matters, faculty should ask their TA and/or RA for assistance. The Department undergraduate student assistants can help with some clerical tasks. Please see Kevin Hsu if temporary assistance from student workers is needed.