A. Policy Statement
The College of Liberal Arts is dedicated to providing outstanding academic advising by ensuring consistent advisor practices across the college, and a fair compensation structure. To ensure appropriate staffing levels in the different units, positions may be subject to reassignment to another unit within Liberal Arts to meet advising goals and objectives.
This policy applies to all academic advisors in the college who have been continuously employed in their current position for 12 or more months.
- An academic advisor is anyone in the Academic Advisor I, Academic Advisor II or Academic Advisor III title.
- A unit includes all departments, centers, honors programs and the college's Student Division.
D. Conditions of Employment
- The first 12 months an advisor is in a new position will be dedicated to training the advisor. Advisors will not be moved during this time. At the end of the training period, an advisor will be assessed by the Training Coordinator to ensure that they have fully learned all the skills and information necessary to be successful in their position. The training period may be extended based on the Training Coordinator's determination.
- Advisors who have completed the 12 month training period are eligible for reassignment. Advisors will only be reassigned once in any given 3 year period.
- Reassignments are considered probationary during the first 30 days of the new assignment. At the end of those 30 days, the Assistant Dean will conduct a review to ensure that goals and objectives of the college and unit are being met. An advisor may only be moved during the probationary period if the Associate Dean feels that the needs of the students, unit or college are not being met.
- If it is determined that the goals and objectives of the unit and college are not being met, the advisor may be temporarily reassigned to the Student Division until an appropriate position becomes available.
- Reassignments that are meeting the goals and objectives will be considered final.
E. Notification Requirements
- At least two weeks prior to the proposed reassignment, the Dean or Associate Dean will meet with the advisor to explain the rationale for the reassignment. An advisor should feel free to discuss any concerns they may have with the Dean or Associate Dean at that time.
- After the meeting with the Dean or Associate Dean, advisors will be notified in writing with the specifics of the reassignment. A copy of the memo will be placed in the advisor's personnel file.
F. Job Postings
All job postings for Academic Advisor titles in the college must include the following statement in the Working Conditions section of the posting document: 'The College of Liberal Arts is dedicated to providing outstanding academic advising to our students. This position may be subject to reassignment to another unit within the college to ensure that Liberal Arts meets their advising goals and objectives.'
All academic advisors in the college are subject to all employee compliance requirements.
For questions regarding this policy, please contact Assistant Dean Kim Krieg at 512.471.4271.