Great Basin Institute, AmeriCorps Youth Environmental Education Coordinator, Application Deadline, BTT Gateway Job ID 7793
Tue, December 31, 2013
The AmeriCorps Youth Environmental Education Coordinator is responsible for implementation of Great Basin Naturalists Environmental Exploration Studies at the Galena Creek Visitor Center.
The Great Basin Naturalists program provides environmental, discovery-based programs through school field trips and school break camps: day camp and residential.
This position will serve as an AmeriCorps member with the Great Basin Institute and will work collaboratively with Washoe County School District, Nevada’s Regional Professional Development Program, US Forest Service and Washoe County Regional Parks & Open Space. This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience in environmental and cultural interpretation, curriculum development, collaboration with education institutions, and visitor center operations while serving at one of the region’s premiere visitor destinations.
This is an AmeriCorps position, and candidates will receive a living stipend of $16,250 for the year. This is not an hourly wage or a salary and is paid to members bi-monthly throughout the entire year. Upon completion of AmeriCorps service, members shall receive an additional education award in the amount of $5,550 that can be used for paying off student loans, or paying tuition for a Title IV accredited college. Housing and utilities and health and dental insurance are provided.
Timeline: January 1, 2014 through December 23, 2014
• Implement ongoing Great Basin Naturalists curriculum-based interpretive programming about the natural, geological and cultural history of the vicinity for on-site and school-based programs for K– high school groups;
• Develop new curriculum-based programs that reflect the natural, cultural and historical themes of Galena Creek Recreation Area;
• Lead the team in coordinating and implementing Great Basin Naturalists Summer Camp, and other school break camps, and ensuring the success and safety of the 2014 school break camp program;
• Assist in coordinating the Summer Teen Leadership Academy, a counselor-in-training program for youth ages 13 - 17;
• Help facilitate and coordinate involvement with environmental community events and provide environmental activities for the public;
• Collect and report performance measurement data for GCVC and GBI;
• Participate in Galena Creek Visitor Center team meetings and special training events
• Assist at the Galena Creek Visitor Center when requested to answer phone and in-person inquiries, open and close the visitor center, daily center upkeep, and provide interpretive information to visitors;
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• This position will require working on some weekends and holidays;
• This position will have seasonal variability, with the summer months having the potential for longer service days
• Experience developing and implementing environmental-based curriculum required.
• Experience with Common Core State Standards and Next Generation Science Standards is desirable.
• Experience interacting with children of all ages and the public in a customer service capacity; park and/or visitor center experience is desirable;
• Knowledge of the natural history of the Reno-Lake Tahoe area is desirable;
• Bachelor’s Degree in biology, resources management, or an environmental discipline is highly desirable;
• Motivated, self-starter who is detail-oriented;
• Flexibility to handle competing and changing priorities;
• Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse public in a variety of forums;
• Ability to speak English conversationally; conversational ability in a second language is desirable but not required;
• Must possess clean, valid, state-issued driver’s license; and
• Meet AmeriCorps eligibility requirements: (1) U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status, (2) must be at least 17 years of age and a US citizen that has received a high school diploma or GED (or be willing to achieve this before using education award), (3) eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime, or equivalent of two full-time terms of service), and (4) pass National Sex Offender Public Registry (NSOPR) and federal and state criminal background checks.
This position will have access to vulnerable populations. Applicants will have to go through a background check including FBI fingerprint check, State repository checks and a National Sex Offender Public Registry name search. Member will not be allowed unaccompanied access to vulnerable populations until background check is completed and reviewed.
See BTT Gateway Job ID 7793
- About Us
- Career Planning
- Your Search
- Value of Liberal Arts Degree
- Pre-Law & Graduate School Advising
- Credit Courses
- Professional Development
- BTT Gateway
- Career Fairs
- Liberal Arts Career Stories
- International Opportunities
- Graduate Students
- Faculty & Staff
Liberal Arts Career Services
University of Texas at Austin
2304 Whitis Ave. Stop G6200
Austin, Texas 78712-1508
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: