Larry Temple Scholarship Endowment
The Larry Temple Scholarship Endowment was established by The University of Texas System Board of Regents for the benefit of The University of Texas at Austin on October 12, 1990. The Scholarship, a $11,000 a year award renewable for two years, honors Larry Eugene Temple, Austin lawyer and public servant.
Criteria for Selection
- Temple Scholarships are awarded to students in the College of Liberal Arts who have completed their freshman year (at least 24 hours) in residence at The University. The Scholarship, awarded at the beginning of the sophomore year, is renewable for two years, but students must remain in the College of Liberal Arts.
- Temple Scholars are selected primarily on the basis of superior academic merit. Additional consideration shall be given to those with a record of independent scholastic activities, extracurricular activities, and leadership. In evaluating candidates, the Selection Committee will take into account financial need.
- Recipients may be of any residence status, with preference given to Texas residents.
- The motivation and purpose of the Temple Scholarship is to allow recipients to enjoy and learn from University life and experiences. It is expected, therefore, that Temple Scholars will not be employed more than 15 hours per week.
- The College of Liberal Arts will identify candidates for the Temple Scholarship from those who have completed their freshman year (at least 24 hours) in residence at The University. These students will be notified of the Larry Temple Scholarship Endowment and invited to apply.
- The application will consist of a short essay on leadership, a personal statement, and a recommendation from a member of the U.T. Austin faculty. The Selection Committee will interview finalists.
- The Temple Scholarship is renewable for two years so long as students are enrolled full-time, maintain a 3.5 GPA, and remain in the College of Liberal Arts.
- Applications and letters of recommendation should be submitted directly to Professor Larry Carver, Liberal Arts Honors Program, 305 East 23rd Street, CLA 2.104 - G6210, Austin, Texas 78712-0583. Applications are due Friday, August 30, 2013. The interview date will be announced shortly.
Selection and Awards
The Dean of the College of Liberal Arts appoints each year The Larry Temple Scholarship Selection Committee, a committee consisting of appropriate faculty and/or staff and alumni.Temple Scholarship application