College of Liberal Arts

Internal Transfer to Liberal Arts

Internal Transfer Process

Current students at the University who want to transfer to the College of Liberal Arts, or add a major in the College, will generally follow the same procedure:

  1. The student will need to meet with a departmental advisor or attend an information session for the major they want to change into or add.
  2. After learning more about the major and deciding to move forward with it, the advisor will complete a Change of College form to either change a student’s college or to add the student to Liberal Arts.

Students who have completed more than 46 hours must have a 2.0 cumulative GPA in order to transfer to the College or to add a major. Students with special circumstances may speak to an advisor in the Liberal Arts Student Division (Gebauer 2.306).

Restricted Majors

The procedure above only applies to non-restricted majors within the College as some majors within Liberal Arts require an application process. The exceptions to the internal transfer policy above are:


In most cases, students may transfer to the College of Liberal Arts after they have completed 60 hours or four long semesters in residence, provided they can still graduate in a timely manner. Students are only able to transfer to Liberal Arts undeclared if the college change will become effective before they complete 60 hours, including transfer work, or four long semesters in residence. Students who have applied for internal transfer to restricted colleges for the same semester they wish to transfer to Liberal Arts undeclared will not be allowed to submit the paperwork for Liberal Arts.