The Department of Art and Art History requires all incoming students in Art History, Studio Art, Design and Visual Art Studies to have a laptop computer. Classroom instruction, course assignments and research in and out of class hours will require the use of a personal computer. Additionally, students majoring in Studio Art, Design or Visual Art Studies who are entering the Foundations sequence will need to subscribe to Adobe Creative Cloud, which is available at a discounted student rate of $20 per month.
The Department of Art and Art History uses Apple Macintosh hardware and OSX compatible software in its labs and digital facilities. To ensure compatibility between the department’s digital infrastructure and student assignments, it is highly recommended that students purchase an Apple Macintosh laptop running the operating system (OSX Yosemite) or higher. Additionally, we recommend a minimum of 16 GB RAM to ensure ease when running Adobe Creative Cloud.
The model we recommend:
13-inch Macbook Pro with Retina Display
- 2.7GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
- 16GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
- 128GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
- Intel Iris Graphics 6100
If you need more information, please contact the Department of Art and Art History at (512) 475-8757.
All students in the department may obtain educational discounts on software and hardware at UT Austin's campus computer store: www.campuscomputer.com.
Instructions for Seeking University Assistance with your Laptop Purchase
For Fall 2015 incoming students only.
- Download the Special/Unusual Circumstances Appeal form from OSFS
- Download a letter from the Chair, describing our Department's laptop requirement
- Submit your receipt from your laptop purchase, appeal form, and department letter in-person to OSFS during their lobby hours.
- The Office of Student Financial Services will determine if you qualify for additional aid to help cover the cost of your device, such as an increase to your current grant package, loans offered, or other forms of financial assistance.
Please note- these instructions require that you purchase your laptop in advance of applying for financial assistance. There is currently no method for procuring funds in advance of a laptop purchase. Many vendors offer financing plans to help you acquire your device while you await your financial aid assistance. Please visit the University's Computer Store to determine the best student-pricing and financing options available to you.