- Season & Tickets
- Undergraduate Programs
- Graduate Programs
- Current Students
- Summer Programs
How to Apply
Application Deadline for Fall 2017: December 16, 2016
The following application instructions are for admission to the M.F.A. in Directing program.
The M.F.A. in Directing Program in the Department of Theatre and Dance at the University of Texas recruits a limited number of students, usually 1–2 early-to-mid-career directors with professional experience past their undergraduate work. Talent and achievement as a professional theatre artist, recommendations from professional sources and a clearly articulated statement of purpose are the primary criteria for admission.
Finalists will be selected for an interview. No formal interviews will take place before the selection of finalists.
The application for graduate admission is a multi-step process. For detailed instructions, please visit The University of Texas at Austin Graduate School online.
- To apply, go to ApplyTexas.org and create an account and fill out the form. Note: Online requests for recommendations will be activated only after you have completed and paid for your application.
- You will be able to choose your Area of Interest on a pull down menu, and this will ensure that you are applying to the right program. For example, “M.F.A. in Directing,” “M.F.A. in Lighting Design,” etc.
- After completing and paying for your application you will be sent an email (within approximately 48 hours). This email will direct you to a site where you can check your Application Status (using your new EID) and begin to upload your application requirements.
In addition to your application, the following materials are required in order to be considered for admission in the M.F.A. in Directing program.
- Official Transcripts: Applicants must submit transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, both at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- GRE Score: The GRE is not required for admission to the M.F.A. in Directing program.
- Three letters of recommendation: These letters should be written by those who can speak most authoritatively about your background, training, professional experience and potential for a career in your chosen area of specialization in theatre.
Each reference will receive instructions on how to submit his/her letter online to the Graduate School's secured web site. Only one letter is required from each reference.
- Professional Résumé
- Statement of Purpose: This two-page statement purpose should outline educational and professional goals, philosophy, and/or personal theatre aesthetic.
- Portfolio (Optional): You may also submit a portfolio of what you consider to be your most significant professional directing experiences.
For detailed instructions, please visit The University of Texas at Austin Graduate School online.
For problems uploading your application or for further information, contact
Liesbeth Demaer, Graduate Coordinator, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 512-232-9402.