Human Resources

Work-related Injuries or Diseases > Workers' Compensation > HR Professional > HRS Home

What to Do When You Notice Work-related Injuries or Diseases

Contact Info

Whenever you learn that an employee sustained and injury or occupational disease, you must work with the employee’s manager to do the following:

  • Assist the employee in arranging "reasonable and necessary" medical treatment
  • Complete an Employer's First Report of Injury or Illness (FAD) form—this form must be submitted by the eighth day of learning of injury/disease
  • Forward additional comments and/or witness statements to the HRS-WCI office
  • Forward any and all medical narratives, witness statements, evidence and invoices that your department receives to the HRS-WCI office
  • Complete a Request for Paid Leave form (S23) at the start of disability, even if the employee does not plan to receive a compensation check
  • Upon the eighth day of disability, submit an Employer's Wage Statement (SWG)

How to Help an Employee Arrange Medical Treatment

You should assist an employee in finding "reasonable and necessary" health care, which is defined as health care that cures or relieves the effects naturally resulting from a compensable injury, promotes recovery, and/or enhances the ability of the employee to return to or retain employment. Assist an employee in the following ways:

  • Advise employees to choose one doctor to coordinate all their care related to the workers' comp injury/disease, because employees may become responsible for paying any charges associated with medical care for a work-related injury they receive from someone other than the treating doctor
  • Employees with serious or after-hour/weekend injuries requiring immediate medical care should seek treatment from the nearest hospital emergency room.
  • You should call Emergency Medical Services (911) if an employee has serious, life-threatening injuries
  • Inform employees that medical benefits for covered injuries are payable from the date of injury, and they should tell the treating doctor that any bills associated with the work-related injury should be sent directly to The University of Texas System, WCI Office
  • If the treating doctor has questions about the types of services that must be pre-authorized or about how to complete required reports and invoices, he or she may contact the Medical Review Division of the Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers' Compensation (DWC) by calling 512-440-3513

Changing Treating Doctors

If an employee wants to change treating doctors, the employee must complete a Request to Change Treating Doctors (DWC-53) form and get approval from the Division of Workers' Compensation before making the change. You should advise your employee to contact a DCW customer service representative for assistance with this process by calling 512-440-3513.

How Submit Info to the WCI Office

Submit all medical narratives, witness statements, evidence and invoices that your department receives to the WCI office at the following address:

101 E. 27th St.
Austin, TX 78712
Mail code: J5600
Phone: 512-471-5361
E-mail contact: Mark Steitle

You may need to submit some information to The University of Texas System WCI Office at the following address:

The University of Texas System, ORM - Workers' Compensation Office
220 W. 7th Street
Austin, TX 78701

How to Deal With Questionable Injuries

If you question the legitimacy of an employee's injury or have questions about the reporting process, you should contact the HRS WCI manager at 512-471-5361.