Timi's Blog

Class Ring

Yes, the day has come! My class ring is finally here!!! I debated getting a ring. I thought what if my ring ends up like my other school paraphernalia–stored away somewhere and unworn?

My UT class ring...Please excuse the fierce face :P

I almost didn’t get this ring, but I considered a few things:

1. For as much as I’m going to pay for this ring, I can guarantee that I will wear this ring for a long time. My letterman jacket from high school is sitting in my closet, not by choice, but by necessity. When I bought the letterman no one told me that I would not be able to wear it in college. Apparently, there is some unspoken rule that says you can’t wear a letterman on campus. People made fun of me to my face about my leather, patch-filled sleeves. In college you don’t need a letterman. Instead invest in a peacoat, college ring and a resume. Together they save the same purpose and they have a longer shelf life. Someone should have told me, but I’m telling you so you have no excuse. This ring is by no means necessary.

2. The fact that I went to UT for undergrad really shaped the person I am today — I have been through so much because of UT (good and bad). The ring is a reminder of all my UT memories. I’m graduating soon. Being a TexasEx (former UT student) will put me in a group of unique people. This UT ring will be a shared bond between me and another Longhorn. At least that’s my hope. I’m not going to lie though, we don’t make as nearly a big deal about class rings as the Aggies do. In some circles, a simple wave of an Aggie ring can score you a job. Aggies have a strong loyalty to one another. They like to keep it in the family. [Insert Aggie joke.] But seriously, I will put the class ring theory to the test. During the next interview I have I’m going to try to bring my UT ring into view as many times as I can and see if I get the job.

3. Maybe I can give this ring to my kids one day…wait, do people still do that? I don’t actually know. One thing that I wonder about is how long I will wear this ring. Am I still expected to wear this ring when I’m 85 years old? I forgot to ask about this.

In the end, when I weighed the pros and cons, I decided I wanted to take a piece of this university with me when I graduate. This school has been a good fit for me. It isn’t perfect, but it’s what I needed for personal growth. For the most part, I like the person I have become :)

———– Update: I found a blemish on the letters A and S in the word “Texas” on my ring so I returned it for them to fix. They estimated that it will take four weeks. My finger feels kinda naked.

November 21, 2010 | | Comments are closed for this post

2 Comments to Class Ring

Congrats Timi, your class ring is kinda big deal and I’m glad that you decided to get it! It does make you feel like you’re part of something bigger. I wear mine when I go to my brothers’ football games because it makes me feel better when I’m wearing a Tech or OU (Oh no) shirt!

November 23, 2010
— Brande

Where did you order your UT ring from?

October 15, 2011
— ROMEO CANTU JR

photo of Timi