Project: East Hall Build Out - University Data Center
East Hall Build Out - University Data Center Overview
The first phase of construction for the new University Data Center focused on the building shell, the major infrastructure, and the raised floor space in the West Hall. With the West Hall space now approaching 80% capacity, it is necessary to begin the second phase (East Hall) and invest in the infrastructure to support future growth.
Build-out of the east hall to accommodate the additional centralization of campus equipment. The west hall construction of the data center was completed in August 2010. Primary construction work includes communication cabling, installation of cable trays, server racks, electrical bus and power connected to racks, modifications to mechanical, fire alarms and fire sprinkler systems. Critical operations will not be compromised during the build-out. Customer notifications will be sent to alert customers of any potential impact to current operations.
Benefits to researchers, colleges, schools and units:
- Enhanced physical and data security, redundant power and cooling systems, and redundant data center class high-speed networking to ensure availability of critical research and administrative systems.
- Departments using the UDC can free up valuable space and avoid significant time and costs of designing, building and maintaining local server rooms.
- Professional, 24/7 technical support and management of every facet of the UDC ensure departments can focus on their core mission while ITS focuses on the IT equipment.
- Server build room enables customers to install, configure, and test systems before moving into controlled operational space.
- Viable option to co-locating physical servers is to use ITS Virtual Servers. Virtual servers can be sized to meet your needs, offer cost savings, improve data security, and reduce the physical space requirements.
- Phase 1: Design - Complete
- Phase 2: Construction - Aug-Dec, 2012
- Phase 3: East Hall Commissioning - Jan 2013
- Phase 4: ITS East Hall (available for customers) - 1st Q 2013
- Phase 5: Project Close Out - 1st Q 2013
Note: This is an estimated timeline and subject to change as the project progresses.