Enterprise Whole Disk Encryption
Enterprise Whole Disk Encryption provides a solution for faculty and staff concerned about protecting the sensitive digital data on their Windows, Mac, and Linux portable devices from theft, unauthorized release, and tampering. When computers are utilizing whole-disk encryption, they are protected from unauthorized access in the event they are lost or stolen. The service complies with the requirements for protecting portable devices, outlined in the Information Resources Use and Security Policy, Section 5.20.
- "Data at rest" encryption. All data remains encrypted, including the operating system, when the computer is off. (Please note that computers are not protected if they are in sleep or standby mode.)
- A complete set of management tools for desktop support staff to manage users and devices.
- Data is recoverable if the startup password is lost or forgotten.
- Auto-boot or single sign-on simplifies the logon process.
- As long as the computer is turned OFF, unauthorized individuals are unable to access data stored on the computer in the event it is lost or stolen.
- Available for Windows 7, Vista, and XP laptops and tablets (Windows 7 and Vista computers cannot use BitLocker at the same time).
- Available for Mac laptops running OS X 10.4.8 and later.
- Available for Linux laptops running several supported distributions, including RedHat and Debian.
- Encryption of removable media, such as USB flash drives or external hard drives.
- Management for self-encrypting hard drives.
- Client and management software from WinMagic.
Enterprise Whole Disk Encryption is available to faculty and staff at no cost.